It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

justthinking HB User
kidney stone blockage in ureter right now

Are there any surgical options to remove kidney stones that don't include using a stent afterwards or cutting you open? If yes, does that include bigger stones also?

I was told that once you develop an obstruction, it can shut your kidney down, so it needs surgery.

I'd give my kidney up before they ever put another stent in me again. Not kidding.

How long would it take before something like that could become dangerous to your kidney, cause I have been having ongoing problems since this summer. Don't want that to happen.

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
(female)

TLValiant HB User
Re: kidney stone blockage in ureter right now

Well I just recently had a stone that was blocking my uereter and have to have a stent. I know they are painful but they do help. They make it possible for the uereter to heal without having a lot of scar tissue cause it to close up. I do know that they can do lithotripsy which does not involve them going inside at all. But of couse they may still have to use a stent if the pieces are still large enough, etc. I am not an expert and there are others that can help answer this question a bit better then I can. I do wish you well and hope you are able to take care of this to your satisfaction. I do know that it is not good to wait too long. I know mine was maybe blocked for a week and I ended up being in so much pain I thought I was going to die. My kidney was blocked up completely.

Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
(male)

greens HB Usergreens HB User

Once your kidney is blocked it does not take long before damage starts, I think even a couple of weeks can damage it. I can relate to the stent thing I had two stents over the last 6 months to help fix a upj obstuction. I got my second one out two weeks ago and I will have the kidney removed before I get another stent. My kidney that had the upj only has 18% function left as it was blocked for a long time, not sure how long but ths doctor thinks it was like months. Good luck

Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
(female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User

Having a kidney taken out is WAY more painful than a stent. I've probably had over 12 stents over the years and it's it can be rough but there are much worse things.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
(male)

greens HB Usergreens HB User

Yes it maybe more painfull, but it is only once and your done. The stent thing keeps going on and on and it does not really fix anything. I might think different if I had more kidney function, but at 18% it really considered to be doing nothing. It is more of pain to keep the thing between stents, infections and rising blood pressure.

Closed Thread