It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

Living2BWell HB User
Arrow Kidney Failure & Hep C ?

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for you, my mom had a kidney transplant when I was 5 years old (she was only born with one kidney). Now, over 22 years later her kidney has been chronically failing for quite a while and her doctors say she has to have another transplant. Unfortunately, at the time of the transplant she contracted Hepatitis C from a blood transfusion. The type of Hep she has is very well treated with something called Interfuron, however my mom is not a candidate because of the kidney. She is between a rock and a hard place, and there is seemingly nothing she can do. My mom is a nurse, so she's medically educated on more than just a patient level, which can be both a good thing and a not so good thing. To make matters worse, my mom is the universal donor, but her blood type is rare so she can only receive from those with her bloodtype.

She tries to keep me somewhat sheltered from a lot of this, probably in order to spare me pain I am guessing. She says there really is nothing that can be done, and she is going to meet with the transplant doctor at the end of the month, but she may not even be a candidate for another transplant, and she isn't sure she even wants to have one.

I guess I am just asking for objective thoughts from those who know about these issues. Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread