It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

Mable53 HB User
Looking for answers for Husband's dealth

My husband recently passed away. He had luekemia that was progressing slightly and had been on chemo pills for several years. He was in the hospital being treated for Colitis for 4 days. During this time they changed a seizure med he had been on and also his chemo pill. Day 3 he was in pain but same self, day 4 - very sleepy. Day 5 - sounded hoarse and slurred speach. That evening he was very cold to the touch but sweating severely. When I asked the Dr. he said he had the beginnings of renal failure possibly brought on by the various medication he was on. By 11:00pm they could wake him. They said this from pain medications and they would give him another med that would bring him around but he would feel the pain and they would have to manage it from there. Small dose didn't really work, 2nd dose he was somewhat coherent and said he had to urinate. Earlier they could not insert a cathater as there was no urine. The were going to sit him up and do the cathater asking us to leave the room.

Next thing I know code blue and he was in cardiac arrest. A nurse came and said they revived him and he had a good bp and pulse and we could see him in a few minutes. Before that could even happen code blue again.

They said his kidneys failed causing arrest and each time it would be harder to revive and harder on him. Dr also said he indicated he did not want to be on dialisis. They next morning he passed away. Does kidney failure take you this quickly or can the medications cause this? Just looking for answers - he was only 58.

Last edited by Mable53; 04-24-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: Looking for answers for Husband's dealth

Hi Mable: I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted to say how sorry I am about your husband. Sue

Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

deedee1313 HB User
Re: Looking for answers for Husband's dealth

My husband was in total kidney failure.The kidneys remove the excess fluids from your body,regulate your blood pressure,remove toxins, and some other things.The most important of these is the fluid removal.Without it you would litterly drown inside.You wanted to know if it could happen that fast.If he was already in kidney failure and didn't know it then it could,but there should have been some signs that you would have noticed.The most obvious sign is that your hands and ankles start to swell.Your face will also get puffy.Before we knew that my husband was in kidney failure he was sick a lot.He slept a lot.His blood pressure went out of control and when he urinated it would stop and start.He also started losing weight and he really just looked bad.My husband was on dialysis for 2 years before he got an infection that went septic.The sepsis caused him to have a heart attack.They brought him back from that but he was on a ventilator which he never wanted.They said that he probably would never come out of the coma so I had him taken off and he died.This was in Oct of 2006.I spent the better part of the next year looking for answers.To make a long story short they insisted on doing dialysis before starting the antibiotics because the nurse who was taking care of the dialysis wanted to go home for the day.The delay cost him his life.If you aren't satified with what you are being told then keep asking questions and trying to find the answers.Somebody has to succeed in holding these hospitals and doctors accountable.I'm not saying that they did anything wrong but you have know this for yourself.I am sorry for the loss of your husband.I know what you are going through.

Closed Thread