It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
(female)

supereen HB User
Unhappy Kidney Stones: Having Lithotripsy & Stent - Questions

Hi - I'm a 39 year old female, and for the past year or so, have experience occasional pain on my right side. Finally went to the doc, and to make a long story short I have 2 kidney stones which are lodged in my kidney/flank area. They are too large to pass, so I am going in for shockwave lithotripsy at The Stone Center in Newark, NJ in a few weeks. My urologist has also told me I will have a stent put in, which will probably be in for a few weeks. He has made it sound like it is just something which is slightly unconfortable and the worst thing I will feel is the constant need to urinate.

Well, I have just been reading so many horror stories on the internet, in different forums and boards, of people who swear the stent is the worst thing they have ever gone thru! I am now terrified. What can I REALLY expect?? Is the pain worse for men or women?? What medications will make it easier???

Any advice or input GREATLY appreciated - I am a WRECK about this. Thank you!!!

Eileen

Old 05-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
(male)

greens HB Usergreens HB User
Re: Kidney Stones: Having Lithotripsy & Stent - Questions

Hi there, I have had 3 stents. My first one was in for 3 months and it was not to painful, but constant feeling of needing to pee did drive me crazy and it was a medium size stent. My second stent was placed after surgery to remove a blockage and was in for 6 weeks, this was a large stent and was very painful and did effect my quality of life, the doc showed it to me after he took it out and it was the diameter of a regular drinking straw, no wonder it hurt. My third one has been in for about 3 weeks now and will stay in until the July when I get my kidney out. This stent is the smallest diameter and most flex able one the doctor had and I hardly know it is there. When it does bother me I take tyelon 1 for the discomfort.
Once you get your stent you will need to listen to your body and modify your activites so you wont be in to much pain. Once your stent has been for awhile you will figure out how much you can do and when you need to rest. Ask your doc for the smallest diameter and flexable stent that he can put in and it will help alot. For pain I take tylenol 1 and sometimes tylenol 3 these work will for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
(female)

babs76 HB User

I have had a stent 3 different times. First time nightmare....so I won't go there.
Next time I just kind of felt it all the time....plus not being able to be away from a bathroom for more than 20 minutes.
Last time same thing....but the doctor gave me meds that are for bladder control. Big difference....still was aware of it but I could take a car ride without too much anxiety about finding a bathroom! and like greens says listen to your body...and you will learn your limits.

Good Luck to you both!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
(male)

cs11111 HB User

There's no single answer to this question - it varies with the person's pain tolerance, with the amount of insult your ureter and kidney received during the lithotripsy, as well as with the diameter of the stent itself.

My ureteral stent was quite tiny in diameter and I could not feel it, but my experience is far from universal. The one piece of advice I would give you is to make sure you have an adequate supply of effective painkillers. If you're undergoing any sort of lithotripsy, chances are quite high you're going to need something much more potent than tylenol, aspirin or ibuprofen.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
(female)

catheyp1 HB User

I've only had one stent, and for me it was painful. But, I went in for cystoscopy/ureteroscopy just to look around to see why I had so much blood in my urine.....had no idea I would wake up with a stent. So, being prepared may be half the battle. Absolutely have bladder spasm medicine handy - this was a life saver for me. The doc prescribed Urelle and said to take 2 every 4 hours around the clock, along with pain medicine. The pain medicine helped a lot, but it was the spasm medicine that helped the most. I could handle it again if I had to, and like I said I think being prepared is going to help you tremendously. Ask your doc ahead of time exactly what meds you need to have on hand, and what his expectations are for your activity level afterwards. My uro was very honest with me after I woke up from the test - he said "I had to put a stent in and you are not going to like it". I would rather know the truth about things....don't sugar coat it, tell me what I can expect because then I can find a way to deal - I don't like surprises when it comes to pain.

Closed Thread