It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Kidney Removal and Renal Diet

My husband underwent surgery for removal of his left kidney about 4 years ago. A mass was found, and after the kidney was removed, it turned out to be a grade 1 tumor. Thankfully, as it was grade 1, it had not done any further damage to the body, and no further treatment was required, except for regular scannings, which have all been ok. However, his remaining kidney is now only working at 34% - perhaps because of his age (80), with the one kidney having to do the work of two. Not quite sure.

He is now following a fairly strict renal diet which is really hard and depressing. What's healthy food for most people, is just so much poison for those with kidney probs. Especially difficult is having to watch one's input of potassium, phosphorus and sodium.

I was wondering whether anybody else (I'm sure there must be lots of you), is in (or has been), in a similar situation, having to cope with a renal diet, due to a kidney being removed (for whatever reason)? My husband is also diabetic (mildly), but the mass found on his tumor had no connection to the diabetes.

monte

Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
(female)

suzycat HB User
Re: Kidney Removal and Renal Diet

Hi, Monte!
I am on the renal diet for late stage 3 CKD (my GFR is approx 33-31). It IS a rigorous diet. I deal with it by primarily eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, because I don't want to take the time to figure out something new when I'm rushing out the door to get to work. I've been on the diet for about a year and a half, and so far I've managed to keep my lab numbers good. It does take some planning ahead when traveling. You might contact the Kidney Association for some recipes or for ordering some renal cookbooks. I thought it was overwhelming when I first was diagnosed (following a traumatic injury to the kidneys). There are days I still become frustrated and irritable about having to work around the diet, but it has gotten easier. Don't forget that you also have to limit protein on the renal diet. Good luck- please let us know how both you and your husband are doing. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread