It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
swollen abdomen, ascities?

Do people with kidney problems get an enlarged, sudden swollen abdomen, not gradually, and how does a person determine if it's ascities?

I went from 115lbs to 138lbs within only a matter of a month, maybe one and half months. only my stomach is enlarged and swollen to the size of a four months pregnancy. the itching I had, the deep itching where I'd have to use a brush to scratch deep enough is back. I'm leaving purple scratch marks on my upper thighs and arms.
when ever the hot sun or hot water touchs my body, I go into the deep itching mode.
do people with kidney problems start to itch when their skin gets hot?
I can't even stand sitting in a car while the sun hits my skin because it causes such an intensity of deep core itching.

would it be possible I have another stone problem like I did a year ago?
I didn't even know I had a problem until I started having pain that went down to the right side of my groin. I dind't know that when a stone is being passed that it hurts in your lower groin where the appendix lays.

I'm scared I may have hydronephrosis again and not even my dr was able to determine it before and he didn't even want any tests performed. this is my primary dr I'm speaking of.
I probably had the hydronephrosis and the hydrouter for a length of months and if it weren't for the pain I was in and went to the ER, no one would have known and I would never have found out.

main question is, do people with kidney problems get a quick enlargement of clothes to the point where I can't even get in my jeans as I was able to a few weeks before I couldnt?

should I ask to be seen by my primary?

I'm embarrased he will think I'm a hypochondriac if go to him and ask if he should check it out?

so there's only two symptoms that there might be something stirring. the severe itching and the long lengths of urination I get.
its like the flow is never going to stop. liek in the movie with tom hanks as a base ball coach for woman during the war time. he was standing at a urinal and I swear, it must have been an entire 3 minutes he was urinating.
I was wondering when it was going to stop.

so if anyone has any answers to my questions, I'd deeply appreciate your feelings on this.

sincerely,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
(female)

suzycat HB User
Re: swollen abdomen, ascities?

Linda-- You are NOT being a hypochondriac! The amt of weight gain alone, assuming your diet has remained the same, warrants attention. Do you have to go thru your primary care doc to get a referral? If not, I'd make an appt directly with a nephrologist and I'd also make an appt with a gynecologist. If you have to see your primary care doc for a referral, if his attitude is too nonchalant or you are not reassured by his "wait and see attitude," SPEAK UP and insist on it! It's your body and your anxiety, and who cares what he thinks. I'm a health care provider myself, and I tell people that the best diagnosis in the world is a "rule out" diagnosis! (Meaning we've done the tests and are able to rule out diagnoses of concern). I do not have your type of kidney disease, so I can't comment on the particular symptoms, but you have every right to have this addressed. But, like I said, if you haven't had a recent gynecological exam, I'd cover that base also. Please let us know what happens.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I fully agree with suzy. Get medical attention for your problem.

I experienced the horrid painful edemas - the type you're talking about, that involve the abdomen - several times last year. There is a considerable sudden weight gain. The stomach gets very distended, making me look 9 months pregnant. The only difference between what you describe and what I have is that mine also involves the feet, ankles and legs. Basically, the swelling starts at the bottom.
One of my medications, a CCB, is thought to be the culprit. Renal or other causes have not been completely ruled out. Hot weather seems to be a contributory factor. If you are on medication and/or have renal and cardiac issues, your doctor should look there first. An ECG & kidney function test can help (or not! ) rule out these causes.

P.S. I get so big none of my clothes fit. It's insane....I know how you must feel and how much you hate it. You are not alone. Hang in there.

flowergirl

Old 06-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am kind of wondering just how your liver actually is? the severe itchiness combined with ascites really sounds more like a possible liver issue than kidney actually. with some kidney diseases,the liver can also be affected. the type i have affects both kidneys and the liver too. i have polycystic kidney disease myself,but there are other types of kidney/liver diseases out there too. has your doc ever ran your liver labs,espescially more recently? have they ever actually done an ultrasound on your kidneys and liver or even just the kidneys to simply "see' what they look like in there?the best way to really get the whole picture on any organ is by running the labs along with actually scanning the organ too since the lab numbers wont really change til a certain amount of actual damage just hits that 'magic" threshold where the labs will change.

are you currently taking any new medications that could explain the itch? just another possibility there. some meds can cause extreme itchiness when it doesn't agree with your body. while you can have alot of edema with kidney diseases and problems,ascites itself is usually more liver related than kidney. just given the symptoms you are showing,checking out the liver really should be done,if for no other reason,to rule it out as a possible issue when kidney diseases are present. if this has never been done before it just really needs to be. are you having any other symptoms? how do the whites of your eyes look right now,normal,or yellowed? jaundice may or may not actually show as an early symptom or even later either. it all depends more upon just how the liver is being affected and by what that kind of determines that. my son,despite being down to only having 20% of his liver function left when we actually found out that he was even sick,showed no signs of actual jaundice til a few months later when pancreatitis showed up too.

i just really think you need to have those liver labs run to just check all the levels and also have at least an ultrasound done on the abdominal area given the fluid accumulation. it needs to be better defined too. believe me,it is kind of better safe than sorry when you are dealing with the internal organs. you just don;lt really have a clue as to what is going on inside your own body til you can get that good look inside.

i and also my son have had really off the wall crazy things just show up on scans that we didn't have a clue were there til that scan somehow got done,and they were not looking for these particular things when they were just found in us. i found out i actually HAD a liver/kidney disease my whole life when i was forty years old and my son got sick. felt great and labs were and still are perfect,but my scans really show the real damage. you simply need to know either way if your liver is somehow affected given the symptoms you are showing.

i do hope that everything is okay in there and that the symptoms just could be a simple med reaction or something. but you just need to follow up on these new symptoms. please keep us posted as to what you find out. good luck,marcia

Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
(female)

suzycat HB User

Hi, Linda--

I forgot to ask you in my previous post whether you take any meds for high cholesterol. After my acute kidney failure I had severe itching. I had only borderline elevated cholesterol, but they put me on cholesteramine, which is a med for high cholesterol BUT it also helps relieve the itching of kidney and liver disease. It's not pleasant to take-- you have to mix a powder with liquid, but it's still like drinking sand. It does, however, help with the itching. My nephrology nurse suggested I mix it with apple juice, and that was the best way to take it. How are you feeling by now?

Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, I recieved alot of good answers and thoughts.

I appreciate your concerns.

I don't know if I actually have any type of kidney problem. I only told you what the emergency room doctor told me to do as a follow up from what they saw on the cat scan which was performed to find out why I was in such pain.

I dont' know if my abdomen is from ascities vs abdominal fat. I just don't get it if it's fat. because it happened so darn fast and I didn't change my food intake. I"ve been eating all along the foods I've been eating.
plus I'm not taking any cholestrol pills.
I didn't mention to you all about the exesive sweating episodes that's occuring through the day and at night, have I?

I can feel what feels like a switch that clicks on and all of a sudden my entire body, chest, legs, scalp, are so wet and I just can't stand the heat.
Its' all day no matter what I"m doing. It's worst when i"m cleaning or doing something upon excersion. but it also occurs just by sitting there or laying down watching t.v
I'm already in menopause which was induced by surgical menopause which is suddenly, by a total hysterectomy back in 2005.
I've never had these sweats ever since i started using the estrogen patches a month after my surgery. I couldn't stand the symptoms of the menopause.
this is different.

the weight gain, plus the sweating attacks, the intense itching and not being able to have the sun touch my skin which sets off the intense itching or any hot showers will make me want to scratch my skin off.

months before and even a year before I went to the ER for the symptoms of a possible stone passage, I was having those intense itching attacks after a hot shower. so now I can't even STAND hot water touch my flesh.
I have to take tepid showers. I don't even have to put the fan on in the bathroom when taking a shower, becasue with the water temperature I use does not cause any steam. LOL

the primary dr I was seeing in 2002, whom I left by the way because of the way she treated me as a patient. I told her i was having the intense itching after a shower and she said "oh!, i get that two after a shower which means you have dry skin. just put some lotion on every day"

thats when I high tailed it out of there and sought out a new family doctor.

after the supposedly stone passage, I stopped having the itching attacks, but is now back. that's why I was wondering if I should mention to my dr. about this.

I think they did do blood work. but nothing abnormal showed up.

so I never followed up on it. and assumed everything was alright.
until now.
with all these symptoms I'm now having.

I will take all your advice and not just let this go and I won't fear I'm being a hypochodria.
oh, that's another thing. my memory and remembering how to spell correclty is taking me so much longer than it usually did. I was super fast at typing words which now I have to go very very slow and THINK about each letter. I can't recall words or letters. I can't talk right either. I have to stop talking in mid sentance trying to get out the correct words. plus I'm switching letters backwards.
I am scared that no one is going to take me serious.
and then when I DO go to the neruolgist this coming friday, I"m afraid I'll forget pertint information. so I'm trying to write down all the things that are going on .

it takes me twice as long to write a darn email or a post becasue i have to go and constantly respell the words properly. it is driving me absolutely nuts.

I used to make an *** out of myself at my previous two jobs. last year at my new job when my director of admissions would tell me she was going to her meeting next door and someone would call for her or ask me where she was, It was like she didn't tell me. but she did. I would totally forget. all information that's said to me is not retained by my brain. it goes in, but right out. I can recall long term memory of what's happened in my past though.

do any of you have this problem?

I had so much to say and I appreciate all your time with me.

I do hope so much that your health will get better too and I"m sorry that you've suffered with so much in your health issues.
I wish you all the best.

thank you for asking me too suzycat on how I am feeling.

as you see, not too good. I'm achey all over and all my joints and bones hurt.

so much for my health.

but I am a warrior and will push on .

sincerely,

Linda

Old 06-19-2008, 04:49 AM   #7
(female)

djoyv HB User

If there is even the slightest chance you may be pregnant, consider this as well. Pregnancy can cause severe and intense itching, sudden weight gain, fluid retention & abdominal swelling.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

considering you were seen in the ER for this and they DID do an actual CT on you and blood work,you just really DO need to get the records from that hospital you were seen at. you really have no idea just what may or may not have actually shown up on that CT or the bloodwork without actually seeing them with your own eyes. believe me,just becasue you didn;t "hear" anything back from an ER espescially,does not always mean that everything was really okay,you know what i mean? if i were you i would make a call to that hospital and ask them for ALL of your ER records including any and all testing results. you just really DO need to see these for yourself. you would be rather shocked an amazed at what takes place when any given patient goes to an ER as far as what really IS going on and what you are actually told. you just really NEED this info considering what you are now dealing with. good luck and i do hope you can find something out this way at least.marcia

Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dj,
it would have to be an "immaculate conception" if I were to be pregnant.
I dont' have my reproductive organs anymore due to a total hysterectomy back in 2005. no ovaries, no uterus, nothing.
so I"m baffled at why my stomach area is protruding like I'm four months pregnant.
It's to the point where it's driving me crazy every day I wake up hoping my stomach is going down because I"m eating less fatening foods and the quantity of food. I don't really eat that much.

I don't know what type of dr. to go to for an evaluation.
my general doctor? or a gastro doctor?

My arms are thin and so are my legs. If I was gaining weight, wouldn't my entire body be gaining weight too?
or are there people who just gain weight in their stomach area?

thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did ask my family to give me a copy of the results the ER sent to him.
I know they're different than the papers they print out in the ER compared to what they send my doctor.
thanks though.

sincerely,
LInda

Closed Thread