It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
(male)

goalsOF2007 HB User
Surgery removes brothers Kidney ( help)

My brother and I both were involved in an automobile accident which resulted my baby brother ( 27yo ) to have one kidney removed.

My concern is obviously his health.
How long can one person survive with just one kidney?
Please what is some things i can do to help him live a healthy life?
I am really trying to conserve his life.

Thank you in advance!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: Surgery removes brothers Kidney ( help)

Hi goals, I'm Shay.

I'm sorry to hear about the accident and your brother. I had my left kidney removed a little over 2 years ago because of too many surgeries (over 70+ on both kidneys, and because of too many kidney stones over 400+). This all started when I was 9, now 37. My only kidney is dyfunctional and starting to fail, which we knew would be a risk when they removed my left one. However, it's failing because of my screwy body chemistry and all the problems I've had with my kidneys, now kidney.

People can live many, many years with just one kidney, if their overall health is good and have never had any kidney problems. Some people are born with only 1 kidney and never find out until years later, for some other reason, like an X-Ray or CT.

I'm sure your brother will be just fine, ok?? I'm sure his doc will keep monitoring his kidney function via bloodwork and urinalysis. If, by chance, his other kidney starts to fail, he can always go on dialysis and be listed for transplant. If you and your brother, or either Parent is his blood type, and tissue match, they could also donate a kidney to him, if warranted. Blood relation donors are always the best bet when looking for a kidney to be donated.

I do not qualify for transplant, due to my body's chemistry, and I will not "live" on dialysis. My docs told me it would be basically "wasting" a kidney. So, when my kidney finally gives out, then I'm done. That's fine with me because I also live in horrible, excruiciating daily pain that require the most potent narcotics that exist.

Anyway, like I said, I'm sure your brother will be just fine and live a very long and happy life. If you have any concerns, please talk to his doc. I hope this helps you and does not scare you. Remember, I'm a very "rare case". Don't worry....you're just going to stress yourself out over something that will probably never happen. Take care and bye for now.

Shay

P.S. If your brother wants to, he can always go on the renal diet. Just do a search. Basically, it consists of very little protein (protein is very hard to filter with just 1 kidney) and low/no salt. Also, watch his blood pressure. If he starts to have increasing b/p's, he needs medication, stat!!! That's the one thing that can really damage the kidney and make it fail. He needs to be carefully monitored for b/p. My advice would be to set up an appointment with a Nephrologist with your brother and talk about your concerns.

Last edited by friendly_one; 07-16-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: add info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I'm glad you both survived the accident and are recovering.

Generally people who lose one kidney due to accident or kidney donation are just fine. It is most likely that he will never have complications as a result of having only 1 kidney.

Drinking plenty of water and not eating too much protein will help a lot. I'm doubt he needs to go on an ultra-low protein diet, but he probably shouldn't do the body-builder living on giant steaks and protein shakes thing. He should also get regular checkups so that problems like high blood pressure or diabetes can be identified in early stages.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
(male)

goalsOF2007 HB User

Thank you for your kind input. So far everything is great.
You mention a transplant of the kidney.
I can honestly say that by any means I would be the 1st to be there for my baby brother.
If he needs a kidney then My kidney he will have ASAP.
Even with my minor health issues!!

The both of us have been hitting the gym doing some light exercising.
I take in approximately 80 - 100 mg of protein a day.

I am so happy that you mentioned the statement concerning such!

Really want him to live infinity years.

Should he not intake any protein??

Any dangers to working out. what exercise should we look out for.
GOOD vs BAD

Old 08-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
(male)

Nick38 HB User

He can live a normal life ,we can survive on 25% on just 1 kidney .
What will happen is his kidney will enlarge in time to compensate for
the loss .. i know people with just 1 kidney ,they live normal lives.

So dont worry yourself.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I was, apparently, born with only one functioning kidney. It wasn't discovered until I was in my early 30's, and I'm now in my early 60's. The other kidney enlarged and took over the total kidney function.

No need to worry...one kidney is just fine!

Ruth

Old 09-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

Good question.

One good kidney is actually not a bad thing. It will expand to take on the work of both kidneys, and his GFR (filtration rate) may elevate to nearly normal. He will probably be healthy and live a long life.

However, with only one kidney, he'll need to avoid ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.), aspirin, naproxin (Aleve), and all other NSAID drugs for the rest of his life. These drugs shut down my previously healthy kidneys. He doesn't want to take that chance. Tylenol doesn't work as well on pain, but it's much safer for kidneys.

Other than that, there's no real need to worry!!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Some kidney patients DO have to be on aspirin, that is, if they've had heart probs in the past, it helps in thinning their blood. There are certain circumstances when it is required. Therefore, if you've had heart probs before, check with your doctor re taking aspirin.

monte

Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

I am concerned about the widespread use of aspirin as a health supplement. It can thin the blood too much, cause stomach damage, and in some cases, kidney damage.

There are so many healthy, natural ways to protect your heart. Folic acid, omega-3 supplements like fish oil, flaxseed oil, borage oil, etc. These supplements can do amazing things, like lower your blood pressure and LDL cholesterol significantly.

Closed Thread