It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

supereen HB User
Thumbs up Kidney stones and ESWL Lithotripsy - My experience

Hi - I went for litho #2 on Thursday for a second 8mm stone I had in my right kidney and I really wanted to share my experience this time.

Some back history: An xray taken in May revealed 2 kidney stones in my right kidney, both too large to pass. I was feeling flank pain so went in for my 1st litho on 6/5. Turned into a nightmare. Came out of recovery like a madwoman from that damn stent, could not function because of the stent, was living on the Percoset and absolutely miserable. The pain in kidney from litho was bad too, and after 5 days, I called my uro begging him to take the stent out. He told me to get an xray, (which I ran and did that same day), and after looking at the xray, he removed it (all on the same day). My body then reacted horribly to the stent being taken out - I came home from docs office and an hour later was in complete agony. Percoset all night long got me thru the night. The next day I felt ok and I was thrilled because I felt like I was all done. Ha! The following morning (6/12), I woke up in so much pain, which got worse as the day went by. Vomiting, couldnt keep pain meds down - long story short, I had an obstruction from all the kidney "sand", and my kidney was freaking out and blocked. 5 hours in the ER, emergency surgery to remove blockage, then 2 days in the hospital with a urethal catheter. Ugh! I never wanted to do this again! Came home from the hospital on Saturday, then the following night had some pain, and the rest of the gravel was out of me the next morning. Whew! Round 1 was finally over, but I felt BEATEN. I couldn't believe I had to do this AGAIN for the second stone! I told my uro that I wasn't planning on going for the second litho for a few months.

Unfortunately, the stress and anxiety got to me. I got depressed, couldn't eat, lost 10 pounds in a week, and gave myself a stomach bug from all the anxiety I felt about this 2nd stone. I was so terrified it was going to come down from my kidney, and I'd wind up in the ER again. My husband would come home from work at 7:30 and I would already be lying in bed, because I couldn't function normally (mentally). Add to this my 2 sons who are 7 & 9 with the whole summer going by and Mommy feeling like this. It was pretty bad for a few weeks.

We were heading to the shore for a week vacation on 7/5 and I was out of my mind worried I would wind up in the ER down there. I almost didnt go, but my uro talked me into it. He is a very funny, and compassionate doctor and I am so glad I found him. He sat with me for 45 minutes in his office and told me I need to get out of the "dark spot" I was in and start living again, I can't let the fear of pain rule my life. I told him I wanted to get stone 2 taken care of ASAP, that I couldn't live with the anticipation and fear of it anymore, so I wanted to get it over with. He agreed and got me scheduled for the Stone Center for the week after I came back from vacation. So I went to the shore, and it livened my spirits and I started to feel a bit better, though I was still so nervous about going in on 7/17 for litho #2. I was still worried also that the stone would fall down before I could get in, so I made myself a promise that if that stone would just stay in place till the 17th, I would go into the Stone Center with a positive attitude and STAY positive, and get thru this whole ordeal, that I would deal with the stupid stent, and do everything I am supposed to do, without complaining, even if I was miserable. Because I cried and begged to get that 1st stent removed too early and look what happened: a whole nightmare of pain, and an upheaval for both me and my family.

So this is how I went into lithotripsy on Thursday: I tried to stay "removed" mentally, tried to stay calm, telling myself "this is it, hopefully I won't be back here again, I can DO this". Got stabbed 3 times while they tried to get the IV in which ALMOST made me lose my resolve but I didnt. Before I went in, I spoke to my urologist. I asked him about Urelle, which I had read on the net that alot of people had success taken this for their bladder spasms with the stent. We also discussed trying a different stent this time. He looked at the records, saw what I had last time, and told me we would try a different brand this time.

When I woke up from recovery, I knew what to expect as far as that feeling of urgently needing to go to the bathroom. Is that not the worst feeling? Ugh - but this time I mentally calmed myself, kept telling myself I really didn't have to go, it just feels like that. Went home with my prescriptions for Urelle and Percoset. Even the ride home was better than the 1st time. The 1st litho had me riding home on the edge of my seat with my head hanging out the window like a dog, desperate to be home and sitting on my toilet. This time I was actually able to have a sane conversation with my husband. He even commented on how much more relaxed I seemed this time.

Scripts filled, took my meds and feeling fine. Some pain on right side kidney, large abrasion on my back which they bandaged, but otherwise I was ok! I couldnt believe it. I couldnt even FEEL my stent!!!

So now today it is Saturday, its been 2 days since I had the litho, and I am still feeling ok. (knock on wood) Last night I took one Percoset at 7:30, went to bed at 12, and slept all night just fine. Have started passing a few small fragments and am drinking water and straining like crazy.

But I have to share with you: this stent. If you have ever had a bad stent experience like I had, talk to your doctor! Between my experience and everything else I have read on the net and boards about people and stents, no one is ever comfortable with one, mostly how agonizing they are. But here I am with a stent in, and I can't feel it! So there ARE stents out there that are more comfortable than others and if you have had one before and it was horrible, talk to your doctor. Maybe you were allergic to that material or your body just didn't like it or whatever - they may be able to try a different one on you with better success.

Thats my story If you've read this far, thank you! I just really felt the need to share something POSITIVE. In 2 weeks I go for an xray and a follow up visit and I am hoping I am stone free enough to get the stent taken out and put this whole "kidney stone summer ordeal" behind me.

Eileen

The Following User Says Thank You to supereen For This Useful Post:
WonderWomanof3 (11-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: Kidney stones and ESWL Lithotripsy - My experience

Hey, congrats on getting through the 2nd Lithotripsy and feeling better mentally. I'm glad the stent didn't bother you this time. I've only had one stent so far and it didn't bother me too much, but I didn't like having it removed by the Urologist in his office. I hope you won't have to go through any of that again. I'm due to have a kidney xray soon to see if the stones in my right kidney have grown. I hope I won't need another Litho anytime soon. I had one last year and it felt like someone had beat me in my back with a baseball bat and I was very nauseated afterwards for a couple of days. Good luck and take care.

Closed Thread