It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User
Creatinine at 3.0 How bad?

My kidneys are degrading due to diabetes which has been well under control sine 05 but kidneys are getting worse. I am now at 3.0 creatinine. This is pretty bad? I was at 2.2 last fall. I seem to be accelerating faster. Doctor is starting to suggest putting in a dyalisis stent. I am getting scared. How much time do I have befor I would need to do this? He is also suggesting because I have had heart bypass surgery that I wouldn't be a good candidate for a transplant. Healthy people would be given more priority. Does this mean I would be on dialysis forever? Please someone with more knowledge let me know. Can a person survive indefinitely with dyalisis?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User
Re: Creatinine at 3.0 How bad?

Oh no one answered! Please help. Doctor called today and wants to implant a shunt to be there when I need the dialysis started,
Iam so scared. He says I am at 18 and they would need to start dialysis at 15. I'm not far away.
Is it awfully hard to have the shunt placed? It's an operation thatis done inthe hospital? Is it painfu;? Does it stick out of yo ur arm?
Doc says if I wait too long he would have to go through my neck in an emergency to start dialysis.
This all sounds horrible and scary. Please someone anwer and let me know what I am facing.

Last edited by Cher2005; 07-25-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
(female)

suzycat HB User

Cher-- I'm sorry I can't tell you about dialysis experience, because I'm not at that point yet. However, in talking about it (for the future) with my nephrologist, he explained there are several options. You didn't say what type of dialysis your doc is recommending. My doc recommends peritoneal dialysis (abdominal) because it allows for greater freedom. If possible, when the time comes, I'm hoping to be a good candidate for in-home, nighttime peritoneal dialysis (PD). I hope someone with dialysis experience answers you soon. You have my thoughts & prayers, and any good juju that comes my way, I'll try to pass it on in your direction.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

Thanks Suzy. He discussed the abdominal dialysis with me but said it's hard to do and could lead to infection if not done properly. I'm a little on the squeemish side and would have trouble doing it probably.
Its not the time for the dialysis that frightens me so much, though it is a bid chunk of your life. I think it's all the side effects, etc that scare me. Also the level of discomfort etc. I need some reassurance.
I;m going to the kidney transplant center and will sign up but doctor thinks it's fairly unlikely I will be considered because I have had heart bypass surgery and presently have heart valve problems. I suppose they give kidneys to the healthiest.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

Cher,
I am sorry you are going through this as well. I have dialysis experience and will answer your questions to the best of my knowledge:

-Yes, you will need some form of dialysis, always, if you don't get a transplant.

-Yes, you can live a long time on dialysis. - There are alot of factors involved in how well you do on dialysis, including your health history. If you try, as best you can to continue taking any medications rxed, following the guidelines and diet suggestions given, this will promote a better dialysis experience. It is alot to learn at first, so take it one step at a time.

-There are alot of dialysis choices these days:
-Hemodialysis, home hemodialysis, nocturnal hemodialysis (night-time).
-As was mentioned, also, peritoneal dialysis, CCPD (Continuous Cyclic Peritoneal Dialysis - This is done while you sleep, so you don't need to do "exchanges" during the day.

-Regarding peritoneal dialysis (PD). PD is not necessarily hard to do. A PD nurse would spend several days with you training and would be in constant contact with you, for any questions. Infections can happen (peritonitis) but varies a great deal from person to person. Some people go yrs without peritonitis. These infections are usually cleared easily with antibiotics. - You might want to ask the doc. re a consult with a PD nurse, if interested.

-Regarding the shunt placement, to my knowledge this is an outpt surgery.
The shunt does not stick out from your arm. If you do hemodialysis, they will make sure to put numbing on your arm to make you comfortable. During hemo, the nurse or pt care tech, will constantly moniter you and do everything to make you comfortable and watch for side effects. It is actually better to put a shunt or fistula in ahead of time to allow the shunt site or fistula to "heal" in preparation for dialyisis.

-Whether you do PD or hemo, you will have access to a team: doctor, your nurse or tech, dietitian and a social worker. It IS very scary and confusing at first and it is only natural to be afraid, but I think as you gain more knowledge, you will feel a little more comfortable.

-Regarding a transplant, it is my guess that they don't necessarily think you are "unhealthy" but that with the heart bypass and valve problems, they would want to make sure you could withstand transplant surgery.

Best of luck to you. - It will get better, in time.
Leea

Closed Thread