It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
(female)

miashay05 HB User
why do i hurt where my kidneys are when i dont have a stone or infection

why do i hurt where my kidneys are when i dont have a stone or infection

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: why do i hurt where my kidneys are when i dont have a stone or infection

What kind of tests have you had done? You need a CT to rule out stones. I had an ultrasound that didn't show any of mine cause they were smaller than 4mm but I had/have a bunch of them. No blood in my urine either unless I was actually passing a stone. So it took a while to get a diagnosis.

Did you have blood work to make sure your kidneys are functioning okay?

Does the pain feel tight, sharp? Maybe it could be a spasm. Medication reactions can do that.

Both your kidney's are hurting? I've been there, I know how you feel.

If you have any prolapsed organs (uterus, bladder) it can put high pressure in your urinary tract, especially cause it can partially block your urine from draining right.

If you have certain bladder problems, it could also cause pressure up in your kidneys.

Did your doctor give you any medication to treat the pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
(female)

miashay05 HB User

I have had a kidney stone before, so I have pain medicine left over from then. I had surgery in February to remove a stone. I had a CT done Thursday 7/31/08. The nurse called and told me there wasn't anything there, and she would talk to my docotor to see what he wants to do, and she told me she would call me back. I haven't heard from her. The pain comes and goes. there are times when it is just annoying, and then there are times when I feel like I could die. Someone told me I need to go see my OB/GYN. Thank you for your post. It did help some.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

WOW cause that really sounds like a stone. I have had a CT miss a stone before too but it showed 2 others, & a IVP showed the one it missed, it was pretty small, 1mm. Only thing I know that will mock that are renal spasms.

Spasms can cause intermediate pain like with stones and hurt pretty bad. Sometimes they can be light though and not cause alot of pain. Sometimes I don't think they'll ever go away, but they do. And it definetly hurts bad !!!! These can occur without stones and without UTI's. That can be treated with an antispasmotic or muscle relaxant and pain medication.

Did they do ESWL surgery on you & use a stent? A CT might catch these problems, I'm not sure, but their can be serious complications from using this procedure like a perforation, renal fuctional loss, UTI, obstructive uropathy, hemeaturia, residual calculi, and surrounding organ injury.

A gynecologist may be able to help, a urologist would probley be your best choice. I really think you should ask to be evaluated for spasms.

I hope you feel better. Glad I was able to help.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
(female)

miashay05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
WOW cause that really sounds like a stone. I have had a CT miss a stone before too but it showed 2 others, & a IVP showed the one it missed, it was pretty small, 1mm. Only thing I know that will mock that are renal spasms.

Spasms can cause intermediate pain like with stones and hurt pretty bad. Sometimes they can be light though and not cause alot of pain. Sometimes I don't think they'll ever go away, but they do. And it definetly hurts bad !!!! These can occur without stones and without UTI's. That can be treated with an antispasmotic or muscle relaxant and pain medication.

Did they do ESWL surgery on you & use a stent? A CT might catch these problems, I'm not sure, but their can be serious complications from using this procedure like a perforation, renal fuctional loss, UTI, obstructive uropathy, hemeaturia, residual calculi, and surrounding organ injury.

A gynecologist may be able to help, a urologist would probley be your best choice. I really think you should ask to be evaluated for spasms.

I hope you feel better. Glad I was able to help.

Yes, I have had that surgery 3 times and the 3rd time there wasn't anything there. I have a regular urologist that I go to for check ups. I don't know if they used a stint. They always told me that there were chances that they might need to, but never said either way. I asked my urologist if it was bad on my kidneys to keep having those surgeries, and he said it wasn't, and it was worse on my kidneys to keep the stones in there. I was worried that they were going to make my kidneys weaker for when I get about 30 years older. After what you have told me, I bet I don't have that surgery again.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miashay05 View Post
Yes, I have had that surgery 3 times and the 3rd time there wasn't anything there. I have a regular urologist that I go to for check ups. I don't know if they used a stint. They always told me that there were chances that they might need to, but never said either way. I asked my urologist if it was bad on my kidneys to keep having those surgeries, and he said it wasn't, and it was worse on my kidneys to keep the stones in there. I was worried that they were going to make my kidneys weaker for when I get about 30 years older. After what you have told me, I bet I don't have that surgery again.
If your stones are under 4mm, like mine were, you don't need a stent put in you anyways. If they are small enough to pass through, it's not needed. I would not just not have laser surgery from being afraid of complications, if you have a stone, and it's blocking your kidneys, they could fail. That is even more dangerous!

Alot of tests can miss kidney stones. Like an ultrasound will not pick up stones smaller than 4mm. My urologist said a retrograde pyelogram won't even show them being that small, and the contrast will not go all the way up in the kidneys anyways. I've had x-rays miss mine. Don't ever be evaluated for stones unless a doctor orders a spiral CT.

I don't know why your kidneys hurt. Do you by any chance have intestional problems like inflammatory or irritable bowel? That can radiate pain into your sides. Hope you've been able to find out what's wrong by this point.

I have chronic kidney pain too but I have a bunch of small stones. However, I take Flexeril and Darvocet and it really helps control that pain. If you can't figure out what's wrong, at least, there is medication to treat pain!

Closed Thread