It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
(male)

MMCDOLE HB User
Cool Blood in Urine due to a Stent...Question

Hello,

I have a 5mm stone that has been stuck on my right side for 3 weeks. Last Tuesday, my Dr. put a stent in. The first 48 hours was the worst. My question is, it has been 4 days and I still have a lot of blood in my urine. I stopped taking the medice that changes the color of your urine 2 days ago. Should I be worried? It seemed like my Dr. said I would have blood for the first 48 hours, When I told him Thursday I still had blood in my urine, he said that is to be expected.

Anyone else have a stint in for 2 weeks? How long did you have considerable amount of blood in your urine?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Re: Blood in Urine due to a Stent...Question

I had a stent in for 5 months (December 2000 to May 2001), 3 months (May 2001 to August 2001), and then for a month and a half (stent removed in September 2001).

ETA: I had the stents because I had a UPJ and UVJ obstruction in my left ureter and had non-invasive procedures done to correct them.

At the beginning I would have blood in my urine frequently. As the days went by, I don't think I had as much. However, when I did a strenuous activity (e.g., dance), I would have a considerable amount of blood in my urine. One time I was on vacation, and we were walking around a lot. I believe the whole toilet was full of blood (sorry if it's TMI). I don't think my urologist was extremely concerned about it, but he probably advised me to go easy on the strenuous activities.

Sometimes I wonder if that damaged my ureter/kidney in any way.

Last edited by Sehsun; 09-04-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Blood in Urine due to a Stent...Question

Hi there!

You're probably right, the stent likely did damage the kidney in a certain way, but you also have to remember that, the fact you have a stent at all is a testament to the fact that you had SOMETHING wrong with your ureter preventing the proper flow of urine. Obviously the poor drainage situation is not acceptable so the stent was put in. In exchange of allowing urine to flow and to prevent the consequences of the urine NOT flowing, the occasional incidence of macroscopic hematuria (blood in the urine) is happening. I'll bet you on days you don't have blood you can see in the urine, you probably have blood in the urine if you were to look

Closed Thread