It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
(male)

moparman70440 HB User
Urine discoloration what does it mean

Hello, I have had neuroligical pain in many places for 3 years now and the doctors still don't know exactly what is causing it, The best I can get out of them is "possible" peripheral neuropathy. i take 4800 mg of Neurontin a day. Back in March I woke up with heart attack like symptons and went to the ER. After 4 nitro pills they transfered me an hour awway to a St. louis hospital and they couldn't find any heart damage. I got my blood test results and noticed that my GFR result didn't look normal to me. I am 44 years old and my score should have been around 100 to 105, but the test said my score was 77. according to the charts I've seen online that score is consistent with a 70 year old male. I asked the doctor about it and he said it isn't reportable until it hits a score of 60 or less. About a month ago I noticed that my urine was very dark and left a lot of foam in the toilet. It even hurt just a little bit to get it started. It seemed very dark even mixed with the toilet water. It is not quite as dark lately as it was but yesterday I started peeing in a cup to get a better read on the color. It looks like a very dark orange to me. It is not nearly as dark as it was last week so I can only imagine what it would have looked like in a cup undiluted with the toilet water. How dark should it get before I try to get retested? Has anyone had a similar situation? Thank you very much in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
(male)

greens HB Usergreens HB User
Re: Urine discoloration what does it mean

Drink lots of water and see what color it is. If it gets clear you were just dehydrated if it stays dark may have some kidney problem. If it starts having the color of cola then there is blood in your urine.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

You say you have peripheral neuropathy for which you are on gabapentin--do you have a predisposing condition for this? Diabetes? Thyroid problems? B12 deficiency?

Do you ever get blisters on your skin when you go in the sun?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Medications often change the color of urine. Just taking a multivit can change urine to be a bright yellow/orange. Ask your pharmacist if any of the medicines you are on prescription and overthecounter will change urine color.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
(male)

moparman70440 HB User

Thank you all for your responses. I don't seem to have diabetes but it has reached 170 or so but they say it needs to hit 200 for diabetes. I read on the internet that sugar levels over 140 can cause nerve damage. i have seen many doctors and none have been able to say what is wrong we me for sure. I have been like this for 3 years now with no answers. i have not been able to work either. I am in pain every waking moment but they can't seem to pick it up on any tests yet. The pain was generally in my abdomen but is now reaching my arms and legs. I also need the neurontin to have bowel movements. My memory is very bad now and i have bouts of vertigo and have passed out also. My balance is bad especially in the dark. lots of trouble with the "sobriety test" with the neuroligists. I also seem to have what they call the "MS band" as any thing around my waist causes pain and feels tight. I am very disappointed with the medical community and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. HELP Thank you

Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Ann has a good point--certain things you ingest can definitely cause the urine to change colour, though the triad of abdominal pain, peripheral neuropathy and a change in the colour of the urine (to a reddish colour which resembles Coca-Cola) is suggestive of acute intermittent porphyria. Have you ever been checked for this? It's an insidious diagnosis so a lot of the time it's not thought of...well, that and it's rare. However, a peripheral neuropathy in the absence of any other common predisposing factor is also not very common.

Weird things which can cause peripheral neuropathies other than porphyria include: sarcoidosis, certain forms of vasculitis, leprosy, lead poisoning etc. etc.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
(male)

moparman70440 HB User

Thank you for your response. I don't know if I've been checked for acute intermittent porphyria but I will do some research and ask my doctor about it.I don't see him again until Dec. I will also research the other thing you mentioned also. I may have been tested for metals but I'm not sure. I told them I worked around lots of chemicals including benzene so i assume they did a metals test but who really knows. It's hard to keep track when they send you from doctor to doctor. Thank you for your quick response

Closed Thread