It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

julieangel HB User
Glom Filt Rate

Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone could help me interpret this result. I had my bloodwork done recently and the nurse called me and said that all of it looked good. I got the paperwork from them and was going over it. For the

Glom Filt Rate Est. my result is >59 (greater than 59) ml/min./173 and then on the limits side it says: >59

Is this okay? They don't give a number for me, just >59??

Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Glom Filt Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieangel View Post
Hello,

I'd like to know if anyone could help me interpret this result. I had my bloodwork done recently and the nurse called me and said that all of it looked good. I got the paperwork from them and was going over it. For the

Glom Filt Rate Est. my result is >59 (greater than 59) ml/min./173 and then on the limits side it says: >59

Is this okay? They don't give a number for me, just >59??

Thanks so much.
Hmmm, I wonder if there is a little bit od different units there because they are doing it per body area.

Anyway, the glomerular filtration rate describes kidney function and refers to how many milliliters of body fluid the kidneys can completely remove all solutes from in 1 minute. The average healthy person should have a glomerular filtration rate (GFR) of about 100mL/minute. If you divide that by 1.73 that is about 59mL/minute/1.73 which I believe refers to the GFR per body surface area. So basically, your GFR is normal. There is no real need to worry about anyone's GFR being "supranormal" unless one is suspected of having diabetic kidney disease where in the first little bit, the GFR actually increases, or if one is pregnant when the same thing happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread