It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

kimscradle HB User
Kidney disease stages and anemia help please

I was sent to a kidney doctor who found that I was functioning at 38%...I am not sure what that means in terms of what stage I am in. The main concern has been the anemia which shows my hemoglobin around 8-8.5 even with weekly procrit shots. We have taken numerous tests looking for bleeding and have found nothing. Next, I am told that I will see a hematologist. My mother has celiac disease and kidney disease also. I am being tested for Celiac as a cause for the REALLY low hemoglobin.

Can anyone tell me what stage I am in with the 38% functioning or do I need other information? Also...is there anyone out there with Kidney disease and such a low hemaglobin who has never really found a cause?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
(female)

donnagr HB User
Re: Kidney disease stages and anemia help please

Is your mom eating strictly gluten free? You may have celiac disease as well, it runs in families, or a gluten intolerance. I don't know what kind of kidney issues you are dealing with but . . . The kidney disease IGA is related to gluten intolerances/celiac disease and I have a similar situation. I completely stopped eating all gluten foods and my kidney disease has leveled off for many years now. I am in the mid 20's % range for function and am trying to maintain as well as I can. I do not take any drugs that I don't need to, I supplement with B Complex, C and multi and take fish oil capsules. I watch nutritionally what I eat and try to walk. My doctor is really very pleased with the outcome of my results, not to mention you can imaging how I feel about it. I thought I would be in a completely different situation right now about six years ago. At 38%, you have a lot going for you still, you can survive the rest of your life with that, by maintaining it. If you need to, go to a really good naturopathic physician if you are not getting the results you need from your nephrologist alone. I know that completely eliminating gluten from my diet was huge for me and I felt incredibly better very quickly. Let me know if you have any questions.

I forgot, also, very important regarding the anemia. I had changed nephs and the first one and my current one both were beginning to talk to me about going to get procrit shots. I asked because I was trying this diet if I could take OTC iron supplements first, and she said that was ok to try first. For the last couple of years my CBC labs were getting better and for the past year I am now in the normal range again, thank God! I take regular ferrous sulfate iron, not the time release one, cause there is a reason you dn't get as much iron in your system with the time release. I realize you are on procrit now but am wondering if you test positive for celiac or gluten intolerance, your body may be able to re establish itself with the iron counts and possibly come off procrit? I am not a doctor, but I know what has worked for me and both my doctor and I are thrilled with the results.

Last edited by donnagr; 03-11-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: forgot something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread