It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2002, 12:51 AM   #1

fosterjc HB User
Question staph infection and kidney disease

2 years ago I suffered from some internal abcesses that went undetected at one hospital and was discovered 6 days later at another hospital. Emergency surgery was peerformed to drain the abcesses and the surgeon drained over 12 ounces of fluid off of these 2 sites. I had massive staph and sepsis infection and they thought I was not going to make it, SURPRISE! Now, however, I am in end stage renal disease and getting ready for a transplant. My kidney doctor at first said that the infections inflamed and damaged my kidneys, after a biopsy he sez that it is diabetic related.( I have been type 2 for 5 years), he does say however that my kidneys are like someone who has had diabetes for over 20 years! He also said he has never seen such a rapidly declining disease before. My creatine was 1.8 in nov/01 now it is 8 in less than a year. I am chronic anemic and on procrit. I have talked with other diabetics who have had transplants but none of them were anemic or on procrit. Is my disease a result of or accelerated because of the infection? Does anybody else know of anyone who suffered kidney disease after a staph & sepsis infection?

The Following User Says Thank You to fosterjc For This Useful Post:
ranch1 (07-10-2012)
Old 09-20-2002, 05:35 AM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to go into renal failure following an acute episode of sepsis. Overwhelming sepsis can affect all areas and organs of the body and sometimes people can go into multi organ failure. Basically, the body is so overwhelmed by infection that is shuts down organ functions as a protective mechanism and sometimes function can be recovered and sometimes not. It sounds as if you went into an Acute Renal Failure episode due to your sepsis, which would be from what is called a pre-renal cause and have now go into Chronic Renal Failure as a result of this. There is a chance of recovering normal function following an episode of ARF, however, if you are also diabetic and have other health problems, then it is less likely. Also, yes, the fact that you had this massive sepsis could have speeded up the severity of your diabetes causing you to have what is called diabetic nephropathy.

Most patients with CRF are also anaemic and this is known as renal anemia and is due to the fact that as the kidneys are not functioning as they should, EPO is no longer produced in the body - this stimulates the production of red blood cells. If this is not happening, then it needs to be corrected with injection of EPO or its equivalent, which I pressume is the drug you are being given?

If your anemia is under control with this, then a transplant should not be a problem. However, there is always the risk that if a diabetic has a transplant, then they could go onto develop nephropathy in the transplanted kidney too. Is your blood sugar level well controlled? If it is, then there is less chance of this happening. Some centres now actually perform dual renal pancreatic transplants for diabetic patients and they have been very successful. Is there any chance that you could get one of these?

Hope this helps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2002, 07:36 PM   #3

robram4 HB User
I ALSO HAD A STAPH INFECTION THAT LED TO ARDS AND I SPENT 3 MONTHS IN THE HOSPITAL AND WAS LUCKY TO SURVIVE, THE SEPSIS WENT ALL THROUGH MY BODY AND I HAD MULTI ORGAN FAILURE. THEY SAID MY KIDNEYS WOULDN"T COME BACK, I WAS ON DIALYSIS FOR 9 WEEKS AND THEY FINDLY KICKED IN WITH THE SURPRISE OF MY RENAL DOCTOR. I DON"T HAVE 100% NOW BUT 60% FUNCTION IS BETTER THEN NONE. THEY EVEN GAVE ME BEER IN THE HOSPITAL TO HELP AS A SCRIPT TO GET BETTER. I HOPE THINGS GO BETTER FOR YOU, I NO I HAD A MIRCLE IN MY CASE. I WILL NEVER BE THE SAME BUT I FEEL LIKE A SECOND CHANCE IN LIFE.

------------------

Closed Thread