It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2002, 05:21 PM   #1

TSB HB User
Post Trace blood in urine

Ok, for the past two years I have been having trace amounts of blood in urine tests. When this was first noticed I went for a kidney ultrasound, had bloodtests, and a test where they look up into your bladder (cytoscopy?). All was normal.
Now in my annual exam it showed up and as usual my pcp wants this checked out (which I think it great!). So, I went to the urologist and gave another urine specimin. He said there was no blood in my urine but said I can still have an cytooscopy. He said that it was up to me. He said, "This trace blood in urine can come and go and really only 5 to 10% of women with this problem develop bladder cancer."

My feeling is this,,,,I am glad that the trace blood is gone in the current specimin (this happened once while I was tested overseas).

But.......shouldn't they also test my kidneys with an IVP test? And shouldn't they do a cancer cell check in the urine?

I have the cytoscopy (bladder visual) scheduled tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2002, 05:19 PM   #2

TSB HB User
Got the cytoscopy and the urologist said my bladder looked ok. Did a another urine test and he said he saw an "occasional red blood cell." He wants to see me in six months ofr follow up.

Shouldn't I be getting an IVP also?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2003, 07:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Re: Trace blood in urine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB
Got the cytoscopy and the urologist said my bladder looked ok. Did a another urine test and he said he saw an "occasional red blood cell." He wants to see me in six months ofr follow up.

Shouldn't I be getting an IVP also?

I would think just to cover all basis. Sometimes you have to ask the Dr's for an order to be done. Good luck!!!

Old 12-07-2003, 05:35 AM   #4

RichMan HB User

I too had a similar condition, medically referred to as microscopic hematuria. (I guess that came down to "trace blood" in my urine). I too, had to go through a cystoscope procedure twice, had numerous tests, including IVPs. Was told that my condition was most likely due to a strep throat infection I had years earlier, and that the infection resulted in scarring my kidney tissue, and as a result, caused this. (It primarily showed up as the result of exertion, stress, fever, to name a few. If I was experiencing any of these conditions and happened to have a urine analysis, this is when they found the condition.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Richman,

So is that serious?

Old 12-08-2003, 07:02 AM   #6

RichMan HB User

The best answer I can give, is that we're all different in respect to our health conditions. As for myself, I've had this condition for many years. To the best of my knowledge, this condition never adversely affected me. The medical personnel who followed up never told me it was a serious problem. Then again, that's me. As for anyone else experiencing this condition, follow up with medical professionals is the only way you'll get a better picture of what this means to you. Again, remember, we're all different when it comes to our physical & medical conditions. Good luck.

Closed Thread