It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2002, 01:53 PM   #1

pottsey HB User
Question Abnormal Kidney growth

Dr's have discovered a large growth on my mams kidney while looking at an overian cyst, they have said the cyst is cancerious but doubt that the kidney growth is related. Has anyone else had this problem, and was it related?

Old 12-08-2002, 02:40 PM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

Normally, ovarian cycsts are not related to kidney disorder and what your mother probably has is what is called a Renal Cell Carcinoma. This can be treated by a nephrectomy and if they catch it early, then the prognosis can be good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
(female)

aleesha36 HB User
Re: Abnormal Kidney growth

I wanted to find out what it means when you have an mri and ct scan and its revealed you have a growth on your kidney?? The signs that my brother had that came to this revelation was blood in his urine and blood clots. They have referred my brother to see a nephrologist and they advised him not to worry that they will find out exactly what is going on. Im so concerned about this because this is my only real brother and he is only 38 years old. Can you please give me some information about this. Thankyou

Old 06-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
(female)

Aeronaut HB User

Try not to worry. A growth can be anything from a benign cyst to a cancerous tumor. If it is a cyst, they can be removed if neccessary. If it is cancer - and caught early (your brother is young, that is a good thing), they can do surgery - a nephrectomy, that offers a good prognosis. Is your brother a smoker? If he is, he has a higher chance of having cancer in the bladder or kidneys, so he should try to stop.

Try to stay positive. I know it's not easy, but the nephrologist should be able to get to the bottom of it.

My best to you,
Lisa

Old 06-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
(female)

anne is asking HB User

Hi,
My husband was undergoing testing for pancreatitis, and they found a kidney growth, I all it "Devine intervention". Kidney cancer is silent killer, so to catch it, feel blessed. There are two sides to the coin, first, this could very well be a cyst, as they are common in the kidney, and can be left alone as long as they are small, second is RCC (Renal Cell Carcinoma), which sounds scary, but doesnt' neccesarily have to be, as it turns out, my husband did in fact have RCC, so they took the kidney out, and now he functions with one kidney, no problem. Kidney tumors are by nature slow growing, my husband probably had his for 4-5 years they say. So no need for an immediate decisions, it can wait a week or two or even a month, take your time while making the treatment decisions. My husband had his kidney removed by a surgical procedure called, "hand assist". Basically, it takes two surgeons, a laproscope and a hand. This is the best of both worlds, only one hand going in, so it is a 3-4 inch incision and the surgeon is able to actually feel the kidney, at the same time you have a laproscope, which is an small in diameter instrument used as a telelscope, so that you can see what is going on. I my husband's case they just removed the whole kidney, the tumor had not exited the kidney so, 1,2,3, and it is gone! Recovery for this procedure is about 2-3 weeks and you are back in the game. Versus the huge incision, from mid back to mid abdomen, a lot more pain and recovery is more like 3 months. I hope things work out for all of you, as well as it did for my husband. Be optimistic, and I know it is hard, but look, it is only by coincidence that this was even discovered, I call it "Devine Intervention" Best wishes. Anne

The Following User Says Thank You to anne is asking For This Useful Post:
Gharris (06-28-2011)
Old 07-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
(female)

memorize HB User

Hello,

I just wanted to say that my Prayers are with you.....

I had an MRI done for a back injury on April 18, 2005.....they found a renal cyst on my right kidney.....sent me for ultra sound and it is 7.8 cm x 6.9 cm.....Divine Intervention, absolutley!!!

Quite large.....I have no health insurance ( the back injury was Worker's Comp) so I am still walking around with this thing....and can find no way to get help.....We have contacted 28 charties and all have either ignored me or said if it was cancer, then they could help me.....but I need the help to find out.....

Anyway, I have put it in God's hands...it was too big for me to handle.....and I know he will help me get the help I need in his own time.....

I just had to post because I know exactly how you feel....it is a scary thing to walk around with something and not know what it is, or what its doing to your body!

Prayers to you....and Blessings that all will be ok!

Memorize (((((((((hugs)))))))

Closed Thread