It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2003, 11:30 PM   #1
Inactive

igy76 HB User
Post Stone still in kidney - but Causing pain

Ok, I have to find ONE OTHER PERSON to relate to here. I'm currently dealing with my second session of kidney stones in my life, these have been causing pain since 9/02. I had one, about 1cm that got blasted via lithiotripsy on 11/8 (and believe it or not I'm STILL passing fragments, in fact two today), and everyone's pretty sure I have another up there of equal size that may or not get blasted. Thing is, both stones, as EVERY test has indicated (multiple KUB's, CT's, one IVP, one ultrasound) were and are still up in the kidney. To which SEVERAL docs have replied "well then from that you shouldn't be feeling much pain". Now, I haven't had the usual "worst pain of my life" episodes in quite awhile now (although I did have one the day before the lithio - when the first stone was up in the kidney), but what I've been experiencing for about two months now is a constant 6 out of 10 on the pain scale. It's always enough (that if I don't have meds) it really affects my concentration on daily things and makes it difficult to do basic tasks. Why I'm posting here, I need to see if ANYBODY, ANYYYYYYBODY, has had this kind of pain when the stone is just up in the kidney (as opposed to in the ureter, causing obstruction, where the docs say is the only spot it should cause you pain - which is also what i did experience in '01 with my first round of stones btw). I CAN NOT be the only case to ever feel this. Any feedback? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2003, 08:43 AM   #2

angelo3267 HB User
hi, i have the exact same problem as you. i started in october with some minor pain in the back which was diagnosed as a pulled muscle. well about two weeks ago i got intense pain in my right side. cat scan showed a 5mm stone in my right kidney, the pain is pretty bad
i'm taking ultram. my urologist also told me i shouldn't be feeling much pain as it is still in my
kidney. i've got alot of pain. i'm scheduled to get it
blasted in 2 weeks. this has been going on for over 3 months. i can't take it anymore. let me know how you are doing. good luck!

Old 01-16-2003, 08:46 AM   #3

angelo3267 HB User
ps is your pain worse on movement when i raise my leg
or bend slightly forward the pain intensifies.

angelo d

Old 01-16-2003, 08:22 PM   #4

bruised HB User
Actually this is strange.I'VE been having pains on my lower left side with a lump and had a ct scan for that.Well the results showed I have a kidney stone on my right side.Now I don't know about your guys' symptoms but my lower left lump is getting so bad its making my stomach sag,and the pain is shooting across the lower half of my abdomen to my right.Now my question to you guys is,is where the stone is,does it feel like a "bruise",and have you been bloated even if you don't eat,so bloated that if you eat you're sick,And doesn't hurt to go to pee,bowel movements are normal,but just discomfort in some daily things you do?

Old 02-11-2003, 12:48 PM   #5
(female)

Karon HB User
On October 1 I experienced quite severe pain in my left side. I went to Emerg on second day and was given Demerol and cat scan. Scan showed "tiny stone high up out of the way in the kidney". Was told could not cause me pain as out of the way had to be my irritable bowel. Well 2 weeks ago I had a day of burning urine (was treated for bladder infection even though test didn't show it), then the next day I got the most horrible pain in my left side, went to emerg, was admitted, kept in hosp. for 8 days on high Demerol, Ketoprophen and gravol before they decided to fly me to nearest Urologist. He zapped it. He said it was tiny and too sharp to pass. It finally imbedded itself just above the bladder. What an ordeal. He said yes it would have been that stone back in October. Tx Karon

Old 02-11-2003, 02:40 PM   #6

mety HB User
Hi, I've read your description of kidney stone pain and suspect that I may have one at the moment. Currently, I have kidney scarring (ref my earlier post) and the docs are dumbfounded as to it's cause. However, last Saturday, I got this sharp heavy ache to my left side, under my ribs and throughout the day the pain would come and go. On Sunday morning, the ache turned to soreness. By late that evening the pain got progressively worse and crept into my lower back, just above my hips. My kidney area now feels as though there is some inflammation present and I get a sharp ache on movement. I also have an intermittent, pulsating ache to my front left, just behind my lower rib. Does any of this sound familiar???

Old 02-18-2003, 01:51 PM   #7
Inactive

igy76 HB User
Well since I started this whole thread and you all were kind enough to respond, I thought it appropriate that I bring (at least my experience) full circle here. Now that I have so much better an understanding as to what's going on with me. All that time, for 4 to 5 months, all the doctors always said to me "Well, based on where the stone is according to this test, I don't see why you're having much pain." And all I knew was, I had a lot of pain. Well, when I went to see a new Pain Management Doc about 2 months ago, I told him about an old back injury (that caused pain in about the same area as where I felt the stone pain) that an old PM doc was treating me for, but technically never officially diagnosed, because at the time I had no insurance to get real tests. It was supposedly a "facet joint" injury in the lower left back, but this new PM doc laughed at that, saying that diagnosis could NEVER be made without at least an MRI. So now that I was insured he ordered one just to make sure that wasn't still giving me trouble. The results took about a month to come back, but when they did they showed a probable L5-S1 fractured disk in my lower back (or, as he explained it to me, there are several round discs that make up the spine, and in my case the bone around it fractured, which allowed the soft jelly stuff-that acts as a shock absorber-inside to leak out, onto surrounding nerve endings. thus - PAIN). Of course, some of the pain was due to the kidney stone. But I FINALLY got my answer as to where the hard core pain was coming from. And I have no idea how long this has been like this.

Closed Thread