It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2003, 06:29 AM   #1

bullwenkel HB User
Post kidney problems & pregnancy

I am a 25 yr old female who has a history of kidney problems. I was diagnoised with chronic reflux when I was 3 which caused a considerable amount of damage to my left kidney. Because of scarring, I have about 1/4 function of my left kidney and about 3/4 function of my right. I have had kidney infections often throughout my childhood and teen years and was a bit scared to have kids. My husband and I decided when I was 23 to get pregnant because of my age and medical insurance. I had asked the doctor if it would be okay to get pregnant and he said sure, he sees no problems. My pregnancy went fine up until the 8th month and i got very sick with a terrible kidney infection. I had preeclampsia, my kidney was leaking acid and they did not want to work with the pregnancy, so the the doctor decided to enduce me at 36 weeks. My daughter was born in January 2002 is heathy and I had to be put on medicine to help heal my kidneys. In May of 2002, I had a severe kidney infection in my left kidney and was hospitalized for five days. In October of 2003, I passed a kidney stone in my right kidney and in December I found out I have pediatric reflux in my right kidney. In January of this year(2003) we found out my daughter has severe reflux in her right kidney, grade III and may eventually need surgery. All the doctor's I have seen (around 6) said I can have more kids, they don't see it being a problem. But I believe if I do, my health the health my child may be at risk. I was curious if any other women have had similar problems and what may have happened in their situation. I would love to have another baby but am very scared.

[This message has been edited by bullwenkel (edited 03-19-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2003, 12:52 AM   #2
(female)

mummy_christy HB User
I have a kidney dissorder that caused me to have sevear pre eclampsia in all my pregs well that and the fact that I also have a blood clotting dissorder as well but in all my pregs and thats about 18 ,I have had kidney probs ..i have had 5 babies and have 3 living 3 were preemie 2 full term ...2 daughters were born at 27weeks (they didnt survive)and my youngest whos now 6yrs was born at 32 weeks ...but all were delivered by emergancy c/section cause my kidneys were all but shut down and i was presenting 4pluses of protine in my wee ...but given a chance i would do it over again

Old 03-19-2003, 07:00 AM   #3

bullwenkel HB User
Thank you mummy-christy for the information. The whole pregnancy thing has really been very mind boggling for me lately. My husband wants another baby so bad and I am a little scared. Knowing that you said you would do it again brings reassurance and hope to me. How are you doing right now and how are your children, do they have any kidney problems and have you experienced any new problems? My daughter has severe kidney reflux but we are hoping maybe she will grow out of it. The urologist told me that the next baby we have either has to be checked in the womb for kidney problems or immediately after they are delivered.

Old 04-19-2003, 06:10 PM   #4

Julane HB User
Hey there - I was just scanning through because my 4 yr old duaghter was just GUESSED to maybe have this. I had UTI's as a kid and it was always just ...no bubble baths.. etc. I was adopted and have no medical history. I am trying to track that area down now. I was hoping to have my son checked too when they said she had hypoplastic kidney - which means incredibly small on the left 2 1/2 cm at 4 yrs. Only if they confirm reflux will they check my son. I am hoping to find some medical background to really push for a check and an explanation for my daughter's condition. I am a paranoid person but I couldn't give up a chance to have my beautiful babies- they are my life.

Old 04-21-2003, 08:50 AM   #5

bullwenkel HB User
Smile

Hi Julane, I have read that kidney reflux is hereditary but no one in my family (besides my daughter) has it but me. I really was a little concerned about my daughter and wanted to get her checked out, I figured maybe around two years old would be time enough to tell if she did have reflux. One day I asked my doctor about the chances of her getting it, and he said to get her checked out, if she does have it and is not on antibiotics her kidney could be damaged. I spoke with her pediatrician, explained to him my concerns and that I wanted her checked. In January at 12 months old, she had a VCUG performed and sure enough, I could see she had reflux. She is on medicine, one teaspoon a day to prevent kidney infections. We are hoping she may grow out of it, but if not we caught it in time to have surgery performed if needed with little to no scarring of her kidneys. On the other hand being I had been the only one in my family to have reflux, my parents did not catch it in time, was diagnosed at age three and by that time considerable damage was done to my left kidney. You need to follow your gut feeling and demand that he gets checked and if your doctor wonít work with you, go to another one. I have had that problem this past year, one doctor after another and now I finally found one that will work with me. I wish you and your family the best and sometimes you have to be demanding to get things done.

Old 04-21-2003, 06:33 PM   #6

Julane HB User
Our nephrologist wants to check the reflux because he said that might have been what shut down her left kidney or it could have been congenital defects. He also said that we have to protect the right kidney if it is reflux - she still has 95% of her function. As high as that is - on the other handthis means she has lost 5% in only 4 years. Um how... why...The only way we got this far was because of a fit I through in our pediatricians office. I don't want her poked unecessarily but I woudl feel worse to have her in renal failure at 15 trying to explain why I did nothing.

Old 04-22-2003, 07:01 AM   #7

bullwenkel HB User
I totally agree with you, sometimes you have to get mean to have things done. I have found that some doctor's are like robots and at times you need to set them down and say hey, listen to me. Take care and I hope everything works out.

Closed Thread