It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2003, 11:30 PM   #1

muslimlady HB User
Unhappy why cant I get rid of a month long kidney infection?

hi, first let me say i am normal a healthy person. i only take birthcontrol pills and on a reg. bases. anyway about a month ago i started to feel a hurt when i finish my pee pee...then i started to feel upset feeling like i needed to vomit sometimes, and my kidneys started to hurt and i ran fevor. i went to a dr and he put me on cipro for a few days....i noticed a week after i got off the meds i still felt pain in my kidneys, waited a few days and started to feel just YUK so i went back to the dr, and again the dr said it was a UTI so this time i was put on bactrum.....but the whole time the bactrum did not work because i only felt worse.....i went back today and they said i still have it and they dont understand why i am not responding to the antibotic. this time i was given a shot of resepherin (spelling not sure of) and then a strong prescription of cipro this time. they r running a culture on my urine, but they did this last time and nothing came of it. what should i do if this round of cipro does not work? what should i think to ask the dr then? has anyone experienced this. i am worried about my kidneys and how long they can take this infection....anyone had this?

thanks

Old 07-25-2003, 08:05 PM   #2

qwerty30 HB User
Hi, I hope you find an answer to this problem. I am going through the exact same thing. I have been on two rounds of macrobid and a rocephin shot. My Dr. acts like it is no big deal and keeps prescribing me more antibiotics. He won't prescribe me anything for the pain or nausea either. It seems like after this long of having an infection it would do some damage to your kidneys. The advice I have been given is go to the ER so they can do additional testing like an IVP or CATSCAN to rule out kidney stones. I hope you are feeling better, maybe this round of CIPRO will help. If you find out anything helpful please let me know so I can try it. A month feeling this way is too long.
QWERTY30

[This message has been edited by qwerty30 (edited 07-25-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2003, 11:36 PM   #3

muslimlady HB User
thanks so much for making me feel like i am not alone in this. i have my hour when i do feel better, but then some times i do feel still sick. i have a worry as soon as i cme off this cipro i will have it again. i still hurt in my kedneys (the upper right only...better then i did last week).
did your dr say why this could happen? mind never said why, when i asked he said, "This is wat i would like to know.we will see if the next round of cipro works then we can talk about it."
so i pray it works.
i hope you feel better and please keep in touch and let me know any updates. i will as well

Old 07-27-2003, 03:05 PM   #4

qwerty30 HB User
Hi again! Thanks for writing me I feel so much better not being alone in this also. I finally broke down at went to the ER last night. I was there for 9 hours. They did a test on me called an IVP where they inject iodine dye into your IV then do Xrays to check for kidney stones. The test showed I did not have any. The dr said that maybe I had just pulled a muscle in my back which I know is wrong. My urine test showed that I still had a slight kidney infection but he said that it wouldn't be causing this much pain. He did order for me to have a CATSCAN this week to see if it might show something. The only good thing is that he did give me a prescription for the pain and phenergan for the nausea which is more than my Dr has done. Well, I am glad that your pain is a little better than it was last week. Maybe the CIPRO is working. When do you have another appointment with your Dr? What will you do if after you finish this round and the infection comes back full force? My dr never really talked to me about what causes kidney infections and why all of these antibiotics are not getting rid of it. Have you been drinking cranberry juice? I have heard that it really helps but my dr told me that you only drink it with UTI's not kidney infections. Keep me posted on how you are doing!

Old 07-27-2003, 10:54 PM   #5

MontaRo HB User
Hi Muslimlady,
I have been suffering from kidney infections for the past three years. This episodes occur every three months. The doctors doesn't know what cause it. I have been in three different types of antibiotics. The first was Cipro, it did work for a couple of months but then stop working. The second one they try was Bactrim Septra it didn't do anything. During my last infection they gave me Levaquinn through IV & tablets and it work like a charm. In few occasions they gave me Rocephin shots & it works. If you interested in my condition you can read my message titled "constant kidney Pain" it's my story with kidney infections. Well i hope you feel better, hope the Cipro works for you. keep me posted.

Closed Thread