It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
(female)

bestauntie HB User
flank pain/blood in urine/feeling nervous

For about the last six plus months I have notcied that I have had pain in my left flank area which at times also hurts around the front of the left side. I initially thought I hurt myself while at the gym. I ignored the pain for a long time thinking it was a muscle. I finally went to the urgent care. They did an x ray which came back normal and a urine test to rule out a uti. The urine test came back with blood in it. (they said it was a 4, whatever that means) I went to my regular Doctor, did another urine test came back again at a 4. I went for a ct scan came back with a small kidney stone which looked like it was ready to "fall out." The Doctor asked me if I still had symptoms, the answer is yes. Did another urine test came back at a 3. Went for a IVP last Thursday. Waiting for results. I'm so frustrated. Basically, everything says I'm normal. Which of course is what I want but on the other hand I want to know why I have this pain in my side. I'm personally not worried about the blood. I can't see it myself anyway. This pain in my side is what is driving me crazy. It feels like a big bruise and someone is grinding thier fist in it. So, it's really uncomfortable. What really hurts is sitting. The pain gets worse after I have been sitting for a while or while in bed if I'm laying on my right side my left side will hurt worse. I have had no fevers, vomiting. Basically I have the pain in left flank which worsens when sitting for long periods of time. I also frequently urinate. All I have to do is think of water and I have to go to the bathroom. If the ivp comes back normal what should I ask my Doctor? I'm assuming it will be normal because the x ray and the ct scan were normal. (with exception of the small stone) Should I just live with it or what? I just don't even know what to ask for or request. Can anyone offer any advice or anything? Please? Thanks. Oh, if it's helpful I'm a 37 year old female, healthy, no children. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
(female)

karm0099 HB User
Re: flank pain/blood in urine/feeling nervous

I have the same problem, but am not doctoring for it yet. (42 year old female, no kids) It's only been a couple months for me and starting with a UTI. And then I passed a very small stone and could see very small amounts of bloody tissue as well. Then I felt better. And then, the pain started in my left lower side around the back and sometimes through the front. Hurts when I sit down, and I have to pee alot. I think it's another stone, or left over pain from the first one. I take a diuretic, and have hypothyroidism, and those are both precursors to stones. Stones do hurt, but better than worrying about having a tumor or something. While painful, they are generally harmless.
Good luck -

Old 04-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
(female)

bestauntie HB User

Thanks for replying to me. I did finally get my results of the ivp. TO me for the most part it sounds like I still have no answers. I was told by my gp that it looks like the stone has passed. He also said that it showed post void something meaning that my bladder does not empty completely. Did another urine sample yesterday at the gp's office and was told that there is still evidence of blood in the urine. He gave me a referral to an urologist. Do you even think I should go to the appt. being that everything so far looks somewhat normal? In the meantime, I feel like I am going sorta crazy, I have been in so much pain this week. As you sitting is the worst. At work today I just felt like I wanted to scream. I'm awake at this crazy hour because of pain in my left side lower back and it wraps around to the front. I'm sure it's nothing serious, I know I'm getting older but hey, I just cannot continue to deal with this. I can't do it everyday. The Doctor is being really nice to me. He knows I'm not a nut. I have always been very healthy. I know he is trying to help me but I wish he would have moved a little quicker. HE just gave me the referral to the urologist this week. He also gave me another (the third) prescription. I did not fill it because it says to take it for urinary symptoms. I don't think I have any. I do have frequency but that it. It does not hurt to urinate. I don't want to be a pill popper if I don't need it.
Anyway, sorry for the babbling, hope your feeling better soon. Take care. Also, thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
(female)

upthecreek HB User

The meds he probably perscribe to you is because of the blood in urine. that is urinary symptoms. and Yes you need to see the uroligist. I am sorry but stones are not harmless. I have them and I suffer with pain bad pain worse than child birth. My right kidney got 100 % blocked from one My whole body swelled from it. I almost lost my kidney and that is a no no for I am a diabetic. I had to have emergancy surgery to have it removed. ct scan did show mine uroligist said it was as big as a golf ball. I have never been so sick in my life or had that much pain and I have had 2 children natural and it didn't touch that pain. at least with labor you have breaks between contractions with a stone you don't. I passed fragments of stones for over 2 months. ended up in er 1 week later after surgery so sick they gave me morphine and it still did not ease the pain 4 days later I passed a peice that 6mm big. I bled so much that it looked like I was on my monthly but I was not.
I am starting to have same symptoms again so it is back off to dr. today again.
If I were you just go and see what uroligist says. the stone could be stuck in the neck of your bladder and that would cause the blood in urine. or it could have just scratched you which I hope is what happened but I would just about say you have another stone or maybe the same one. watch for swelling in feet legs hands. drink alot of water to try to flush your kidneys. also fresh lemon aid helps .

Old 04-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

UPTHECREEK:

I'm a little confused as to whether you still have BOTH your kidneys, or whether your emergency surgery was to have one removed? My husband had to have his left kidney removed some years ago due to a grade 1 tumour, which thankfully had not spread elsewhere. But he is a type 2 diabetic, and now has chronic kidney disease.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
(female)

upthecreek HB User

I still have them both but with diabetes I could loose one very easily and that is what the urologist said that if I did not have the surgery done I was going to lose my kidney. I also am type 2. can not get levels under control but that is another subject. all I want people to know is that a stone can be serious. if you have other illnesses. I don't know of anyone that would want to risk losing a kidney. I know you can live with one , but with diabetes kidney failure can be a killer. Not saying that is going to happen here. I just think they need to be checked further it is not normal to pass blood in urine and if you are in pain the body is trying to tell you something is wrong that is what pain is for.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Thankfully my husband has his diabetes under extraordinarily good control (he only has it mildly, and has never had to use insulin). He follows a very strict renal diet and even though that is NOT easy (it's one of the hardest diets I know of) - it is DOABLE.

Wishing you luck with your kidney probs and hope you have a good outcome.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:45 AM   #8
(female)

upthecreek HB User

thanks. I have done everything I know to do to get it under control but nothing seems to work but that is another thread and I don't want to hijack this one.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
(female)

bestauntie HB User

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I will go to the urologist. It's frustrating though because I cannot get in until the 19th of May. I just wish the pain would get better. I'm just tired of it. I hope all works out for you. Hope you didnt get bad news when you went back to the Dr. recently. Take care.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
(female)

sthmom HB User

Hi,
I know this is an old post, but I am dealing with exactly what you had and I was wondering if you ever found out what it was?

thanks

Closed Thread