It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

Dovesndiamonds HB User
New here and new "semi-diagnosis"

Hi. I'm new to this board. Looking to see if someone can maybe help me get through the beginning of this....
My fiance' has been having these "pains" in his side for about 2 months now. We went to the hospital and were thinking that this might be kidney stones. They did some tests and referred him to the urologist. He just went in to the urologist today and was told that he has 2 masses on his left kidney, both about 2cm in size. He is now awaiting scheduling for an ultrasound and an MRI.
From what I've read, while I'm trying not to panic, there is a 20-30% chance that these are not cancerous. Can anyone confirm this? Also, it appears (again from my quick reading) that even these little masses, if cancerous, can spread. Any confirmation or rejection of this information?
Has anyone been through this? He is in a panic - I can hear it in his voice, and I too am teetering on the edge of it.
I have always been the eternal optimist, but I don't want to fool myself on this one. In this case, I choose reality over fantasyland. Can anyone give me some info regarding this reality??
Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: New here and new "semi-diagnosis"

Hello

I'm not an expert on this subject. All I can relay to you is what happened to my husband. Just over 5 years ago he was diagnosed with a mass on his left kidney, from a catscan. It was a grade ''1'' tumor - that's the earliest stage. He had to have his left kidney removed. He was extremely lucky in the fact that it was caught so early and had not spread anywhere else. Thus he didn't have to have chemo or radiation! Before the removal of his tumor, he was not having pain, but he did have blood in his urine.

Now obviously I don't know exactly what your boy friend's situation is. I'm sure the docs will soon get a clearer idea of what's going on. Don't worry too much. Not all tumors are malignant. And they might not even BE tumors. They could be cysts.

Wishing you the best outcome,

Monte

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

Dovesndiamonds HB User

Monte,
thank you for your reply. That does actually make me feel a little better. It seems from the other threads and such I've read that they do not just remove the mass, they remove the entire kidney. Do you know the reason for that? This one was found via a cat scan also, and he also had trace blood in his urine. We go on Monday for an ultrasound and MRI.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

I believe it has a lot to do with the location of the tumor. I think that only in certain, special cases, can they just remove the mass itself. Again, probably due to the location of it, and also removing just the tumor in many cases would also involve cutting through many blood-vessels (that alone making it very complicated). And most importantly, they remove the entire kidney to prevent any ''potential'' malignant cells from spreading to other areas of the body. Anyway, like I said, I'm definitely NOT an expert on this and I'm basically repeating what my husband's urologist told him. Each case is different and only your doctor can decide the proper course of treatment, after completing necessary diagnostic tests. Sometimes malignancies can only be definitely confirmed once the kidney ''is'' removed, as was my husband's case. Sometimes a biopsy is performed, but again, I'm not sure under what circumstances this is done.

There are lots of well informed people here, and they can probably give you better information than me. Do question the doctor. Make a list of questions to ask, at the next appointment.

Keep us posted regarding what happens.

Monte

Last edited by montesflus; 06-03-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Closed Thread