It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
(male)

peacehopevision HB User
Dead kidney never working again?

I had a big stone blocking my kidney for a long time, and now my right kidney is not functioning at all anymore. My doctor says my rigth kidney has to be removed before infection starts. Even though he assures me that there are a lot of people living with one kidney and I will have a normal life after surgery, I am still very afraid. Do dead kidneys never have a chance to revive? Do I really have to remove my right kidney? Thank you very much.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User
Re: Dead kidney never working again?

My wife had to have a kidney removed about 20 years ago (dead kidney, non-cancerous). It became infected and she had to have emergency surgery.

She has thrived on one kidney.

I understand why you would be nervous; no one looks forward to surgery of any type. But I wouldn't want to let this go until the non-functioning kidney becomes infected. Will the surgeon do this laparascopically?

Good luck,
Bill

The Following User Says Thank You to Fizzickle For This Useful Post:
etheldred (05-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
(male)

greens HB Usergreens HB User

I had this done on July 7 2008 so its been a year and I tell you it is well worth getting it removed. I suffered for almost two years with the doctor trying different things so I would not feel the pain from the kidney, I had a upj obstruction that blocked my left kidney and did not know it until the kidney had no function. I wish I would of had it removed tight from the start, that two years of my life I well not get back. I live a perfectly normal life no special diet, but I do not do things that could hurt my remaining kidney like contact sports and I cut way back on alcohol and salt. If you have a choice make sure you get it removed laproscopically, I had mine done this way and it way less recovery time.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
(male)

peacehopevision HB User

Thank you so very much. It is very encouraging to hear. I am trying to stay strong right now. Yes, my doctor said he would do it laparoscopically.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
(male)

That great he will be doing it laparscopically. When I had mine done my operation was at 7:00am and was in my hospital room by 11:00am, I was walking around by 7:00pm. It does not hurt that much as long as you move slowly and hold a pillow when you have to cough. All I used for pain relief was Tylenol 3 and was in the hospital two nights. I was driving by 2 weeks and pretty much back to my normally self in 3 weeks, although my doc told me not to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for 4 weeks which was a pain because everything weighs more than 10 pounds. If you have any questions post them up and will do my nest to answer them.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
(male)

wittyboy HB User

Green, or anyone who might have an answer.. I am having my right kidney removed the 29th of this month.It is Atrophic and I have known about it for about 12 years. I have not been able to get a doctor to take me seriously until about 4 weeks ago when I started having alot of pain. My question is. Has anyone had an Atrophic kidney removed and before it was removed how was your health and how was it after the removal? I have been doing research but nothing on Atrophic kidney other than the associated kidney and flank pain. I have been tired ALOT.. and I have had many other health issues I believe might be a result of this kidney. I also think that becasue the kidney still functions only 11 % that it is sending toxins back into my system. If anyone has anything to offer I would appreciate it . Thank you all so much

Old 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
(male)

My kidney was atrophic from th upj obstruction and was about half the size when it was removed. It made a big difference I could tell in the recovery room I felt better I did not have that constant pain. The big differences from before and after are not felling like I have to throw up all the time, only having to get once in the night to go pee instead of every few hours and having energy to do things not being so tired all the time. Good luck with your surgery.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
(male)

wittyboy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
My kidney was atrophic from th upj obstruction and was about half the size when it was removed. It made a big difference I could tell in the recovery room I felt better I did not have that constant pain. The big differences from before and after are not felling like I have to throw up all the time, only having to get once in the night to go pee instead of every few hours and having energy to do things not being so tired all the time. Good luck with your surgery.
Greens, Thanks for the reply. The surgery went well. Had alot of pain from the gas they use to extend the stomach but I feel great. No more tired.. legs dont swell and BP is down. Finally I have life back.

Last edited by wittyboy; 08-06-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: didnt enter reply

Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
(male)

Ya I was told there could be pain from the gas, I was lucky and did not have any pain but my chest and shoulder was black an blue from it. I am glad everthing went fine and you are feeling better. Remeber to go for regular walks it well help you heal faster. Over time you well feel better and better.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
(female)

ren1988 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacehopevision View Post
I had a big stone blocking my kidney for a long time, and now my right kidney is not functioning at all anymore. My doctor says my rigth kidney has to be removed before infection starts. Even though he assures me that there are a lot of people living with one kidney and I will have a normal life after surgery, I am still very afraid. Do dead kidneys never have a chance to revive? Do I really have to remove my right kidney? Thank you very much.
Hey, I actually had my kidney removed June 13th of last year. I was 19, I had it done at JPs Hospital in TX. Let me tell you, my stupid right kidney caused me so much trouble. I had a lot of other medical issues like high blood, pressue, syncope, and weight gain. I can't believe it took the so many years to find out it was my kidney. Both sides were in so much pain that I had to go to the hospital and I'm glad the ultrasound woman decided to look @ my other kidney b/c she gasped. I had more pain on the left b/c my right one was smaller and failing. I was suppose to have it repaired, but by the time I was due for surgery it was too late...it was only @ around 28 % while the left was @ 98...so...yeah kinda stuck. Well I was able to do normal things by myself maybe 3wks after. Then I started working 4 month later @ fedex which was a bad idea...and I had to leave, but I've been pretty okay. Just on and off pain in the left side and my scars are very irritating. They itch a lot. I'm now 21 and I wish that it didn't have to happen, but I'm off the blood pressue medicine and I lost 10 lbs right after the surgery, but now I'm having so other issues. Blehh.
If you have any specific questions you wanna ask me, I'll be glad to answer...just like it was yesterday. eck....oh and I had it done laproscopically (with lasers, I know that is probably the wrong spelling)..

Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
(male)

peacehopevision HB User

I finally had my right kidney removed this past Friday. It took two doctors and three hours, but I guess everything went well. I stayed two nights in hospital and now I am already back home(Sunday night). Pain is not as bad as I thought...I expected so much more pain. I haven't had bowel movement yet, which bothers me a little, but the doctor said that is normal. I am just feeling blessed and happy right now. Thank you everyone. God bless you, all.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
(female)

ren1988 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacehopevision View Post
I finally had my right kidney removed this past Friday. It took two doctors and three hours, but I guess everything went well. I stayed two nights in hospital and now I am already back home(Sunday night). Pain is not as bad as I thought...I expected so much more pain. I haven't had bowel movement yet, which bothers me a little, but the doctor said that is normal. I am just feeling blessed and happy right now. Thank you everyone. God bless you, all.
Well at least the major pain will be out of the way. You would think for something like that it would hurt a ton more, but it really didn't hurt as bad as what I was expecting.

Closed Thread