It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Kidney function improvement

Hi!

I just saw my nephrologist Wednesday, and I was hoping for a little help with the numbers...

My doctor was very happy with my labs, as they showed my GFR had increased from 22-27. That was good news, as my GFR had been falling steadily over the past 4-6 months. My doctor advised me that he wouldn't start dialysis till it drops to 5 %. Does that sound a little late?

These were my lab results that were out of range on my report.

RBC 3.77 low 3.8-5.1
BUN 34 high 5-26
Creat 1.78 high .57-1.

I understand the GFR, but the other numbers are a bit confusing to me. Can anyone shed some light on these numbers? Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Kidney function improvement

None of those numbers are too bad. Keep an eye on the rbcs (red blood cells) and hemoglobin. Anemia is common in kidney disease and you will feel better if it is managed. When you go on dialysis depends in part on how you feel. I didn't go on until my creatinine was about 8. The bun will rise some what too, but that won't come down that much even on most forms of dialysis, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Creatinine is a byproduct of muscle metablism. So when it builds up, it is an indicator of how well or how little your kidneys are filtering. So while there is damage, your numbers don't indicate a need for dialysis at this point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Thank you Cora, I feel better with your seal of approval.... I am feeling good, and feeling positive.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
(male)

idunno HB User

Hi,
I am glad to hear that you have some good news ,keep on doing whatever you are doing.
I went to my nephrologist today for the first time in six mos. Initially My dx was fsgs ,scarred filters. The treatment was 4 bp meds after prednisone was tried and made the problem worse. I was told that at my age,59,there was little they could do and it would be a holding action. My initial protein loss was around 3000 mg daily. Six mos ago I was tested again and remarkably with the bp meds my protein loss was down to 750 mg a day. Since then I have been treated for severe poly arthritis with methotrexate. My results today showed a protein loss of only 260mg 150 mg is normal. My neph is overjoyed. He believes I may be suffering from some form of immuno-vasculitis as it has symptoms including kidney failure ,high bp,auto-immune arthritis and neuropathy. Since coming off pred my weight has dropped 40lband my bp is around 120/75. His only concern is that although the meth is helping me it has serious dangers as well because I am a colon ca survivor and he is worried with my immune system being suppressed. All in all it is good news and at least my kidneys are doing fine so far. All the best Ron.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Hi Ron,

What an ordeal you have been through! Our amazing bodies are continuing to fight for us every minute of the day, and often times, against all odds.

Thank you for sharing your story, Ron. It is always nice to hear about positive accomplishments in our health, no matter how small they might seem. I hope this offers even a little hope, to others going through difficult medical situations.

Keep in touch, OK?

Janet

Old 05-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
(male)

guyinTX HB User

I also have FSGS and unfortunately waited to get on dialysis until I dipped below 10% functioning. The only problem is if you wait that long you can't hope to gain back what you've loss. I think I was considered ESRD(End Stage Renal Disease) below 15% and if you get that low you might want to go on dialysis to try to save the functioning you have to maybe aid you if and when you get a transplant kidney. I know that isn't as pleasant to hear as the other posts but I don't want my mistakes to be in vain.

Closed Thread