It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
(female)

bobbedazzler HB User
Kidney Function % - What does it mean?

Hi all

Wonder if anyone can help ..... I have a problem with my kidneys (a dilated renal pelvis) which is basically pockets of fluid in my kidneys where they shouldn't be. The Consultant doesn't know why/how this happened and so I'm under going more tests (so far have had ultrasounds, renograms and MRI as well as bloods, urine tests etc).

They've told me today that one of my kidneys is functioning at around 51% and the other at 45% ....... what exactly does this mean?? I'm 37 yrs old, is this greatly diminished for my age? .... What should normal kidney function be at this age??

I have to go back in 4 weeks but just wondered if I should be concerned or whether that's not bad going for my age!?! At least then I can plan out my questions for the Consultant when I see him in September.

Thank you

Jo x

Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
(male)

esozh HB User
Re: Kidney Function % - What does it mean?

The kidney function percentage is pretty much the percentage of function as compared to normal. It is diminished for your age, or any age for that matter. Some people diminish quickly and go at dialysis at a rapid pace, while others maintain kidney function in your range for many years. What will be the big change for you right now is seeing a nutritionist and getting on a renal diet in order to maintain your current kidney function.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
(female)

bobbedazzler HB User

Thanks for your reply.

Anyone know how what I've been told relates to overall kidney function?? I'm assuming that I have the equivalent of 1 good kidney from those %'s ..... but when someone says they have say 60% kidney function, is that an average between the two kidneys or the two added together? Or is that a completely different thing?

Sorry if that's a really stupid question but I just don't understand how it all works.

Thanks, Jo.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

bobbedazzler,

Hello! I hope I can help you understand a little more about your kidney function, and what it means.

Kidney function for healthy kidneys is greater than 90%.

Mild kidney disease is considered stage 2- between 60% and 89%

Moderate kidney disease is considered stage 3- between 30% and 59%

Severe kidney disease is considered stage 4- between 15% and 29%

Stage 5- under 15% requiring dialysis and/or transplant

With your kidneys operating at 49% and 51%, you would be in Stage 3, or moderate kidney disease. At this stage it is very important to carefully manage your Blood Pressure, and protect your kidney function with a renal diet, healthy lifestyle, and weight control.

You likely have no noticeable symptoms at this point. There is a lot of information available on-line, but kidney disease is a very individual thing. For many of us, it takes many years to go through the stages.

I myself am in Stage 4, with a GFR/kidney function % of about 25%. I am still very active, just for shorter amounts of time, and I tire more easily, so I rest more often...but I keep a positive attitude, which makes a huge difference!

Do you have high blood pressure, or diabetes? You may want to ask your doctor his/her opinion of what is causing your kidney function to decline. Feel free to ask any other questions you have...there is no such thing as a dumb question!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
bobbedazzler (11-05-2010), LauraChegwidden (07-13-2012)
Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
(female)

bobbedazzler HB User

Hiya, thank you for your reply. My Consultant actually rang me last evening at work to discuss my most recent MRI scan results and it turns out I have something quite rare called hydrocalycosis ..... this is what's reducing my kidney function but they feel sure that I was born with this so it is very slow. He really helped put my mind at rest and said he'll have more information when I see him in 4 weeks.

Jo x

Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Jo,

I am happy your doctor called with the cause of your kidney function loss. It sounds like you are on the right path towards understanding, and dealing effectively with your kidneys. I wish you the best!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
(male)

jasonedwards HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
bobbedazzler,

Hello! I hope I can help you understand a little more about your kidney function, and what it means.

Kidney function for healthy kidneys is greater than 90%.

Mild kidney disease is considered stage 2- between 60% and 89%

Moderate kidney disease is considered stage 3- between 30% and 59%

Severe kidney disease is considered stage 4- between 15% and 29%

Stage 5- under 15% requiring dialysis and/or transplant

With your kidneys operating at 49% and 51%, you would be in Stage 3, or moderate kidney disease. At this stage it is very important to carefully manage your Blood Pressure, and protect your kidney function with a renal diet, healthy lifestyle, and weight control.

You likely have no noticeable symptoms at this point. There is a lot of information available on-line, but kidney disease is a very individual thing. For many of us, it takes many years to go through the stages.

I myself am in Stage 4, with a GFR/kidney function % of about 25%. I am still very active, just for shorter amounts of time, and I tire more easily, so I rest more often...but I keep a positive attitude, which makes a huge difference!

Do you have high blood pressure, or diabetes? You may want to ask your doctor his/her opinion of what is causing your kidney function to decline. Feel free to ask any other questions you have...there is no such thing as a dumb question!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
(male)

jasonedwards HB User

You don't necessarily require treatment if your kidney function is under 15%. It is certainly on the horizon, but I've been at 12-13% for 18 months, and still feel pretty good. My diet is quite restricted and I do take blood pressure medication. Yes, things are bound to slip, but I'm living proof that you can function well at such a low kidney function - depends on the person.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

My doctor recently explained to me some interesting facts concerning kidney function. I'm a 65 yr. old white female. My eGFR result was 56, and my Creatinine was 1.00. My doc advised me to retest and to hydrate myself extremely well 1-2 days before testing. I followed his advice, and my new result was eGFR 63, and Creatinine 0.9.

Apparently ''normal'' kidney function can mean different result analysis for different people. My doc explained it as follows, quoting from an email he sent me re my new test results after retesting and hydrating.
''The eGFR is based on a formula that takes into account age and sex and ethnicity
This level is fine for you
Most people's eGFR goes down with age. By age 70 (you are not there!) a GFR can drop to the mid 50's and still be considered normal for that age and person
There is nothing for you to be worried about''.

So, a kidney function of ''90 or higher'' supposedly being ''normal'', obviously doesn't apply to everybody, there are just too many variables, such as whether one has diabetes or hypertension (I have neither), and, as my doc said, a lot also depends on age, gender, ethnicity, medications and previous medical history.

monte

Closed Thread