It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
(male)

luckyb HB User
4cm kidney stone

Yep, you read it right. 4cm. ping pong ball size. Here's my story so far....

This is my 4th stone that I've known about. The first 3 were tiny and caused pain only while they were passing. I've never been able to catch them as they passed so don't really know what they are made of. I seem to pass one every 6 or 7 years. This time however is different. During testing to determine why I had blood in the urine but no pain, the CT scan showed this large kidney stone in my right kidney. The urologist said it wasn't causing any trouble now, but at some point it would and I should get it removed. He said there were 3 options, regular lithotripsy (ESWL), surgery through the back into the kidney, or some kind of procedure where they hit it from the inside. I thought he wanted to do the latter, but found out I was scheduled for the ESWL. I was put under for the procedure and when they were done was told they hit it 2500 times and it broke up nice. The next couple days were interesting as everytime I'd stand up, I'd pee uncontrolably. I strained as much urine as i could and was surprised that I wasn't finding anything. The following week when I went back to see my doc with xrays, it seems the big stone just broke into 8-10 pieces and are now just sitting in the bottom of the kidney.

I love this doctor. He says that I should try some inversion therapy, hanging upside down while my wife runs a vibrator over the back by the kidney. Or find a couple big guys to hold me up by the ankles and shake. (I'm thinking maybe a bunch of headstands in a friend's pool sounds better.) He's hoping ithe upside down shaking will get the stones out of the bottom of the kidney and into a spot where they can get into the ureter. He says the only problem is that they are probably big enough that they will get stuck, which he says is a good thing 'cuz he can go in and get it then.

Anyhow, I have no idea how this will all work out. So far it's been a real experience. This is my first visit here and I'm just looking around for info on other's experiences. I did have a stent put in during the lithotripsy and am not sure I'm glad I read about the removal process. Something about a monster device that forcibly dilates the urethra. Yikes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
(female)

MandyB HB User
Re: 4cm kidney stone

Hi

I am interested to know how you get on. My husband has a 3cm kidney stone which he has gone into hospital yesterday for. This is the 3rd time he has had them but the others were small and passed on their own.

We are english but live in france so don't always understand everything the doctors are saying - we were expecting for him to have a general today and the stent fitted and then soundwave treatment tomorrow but have been told that he is having soundwave treatment today and the stent tomorrow so very confused at the moment.

How bad are things after this treatment - Will he be in alot of pain for a long time? The drive home is over 2 hours so this could be a problem with the stent from what I have read. I was told he would be coming home tomorrow but not sure now that they have changed the order of the procedures.

Any advice you can give me would be good - we have 3 kids and another on the way so just trying to be prepared for what to expect

Closed Thread