It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
(female)

patooki HB User
dehydration and kidney problems

Hey I am new here, I need some information on dehydration leading to kidney problem.

My sister's dehydrated and still she manages to drink only 2 or 3 glasses of water per day,more than 2 cups of coffee with snicker chocolate bars. we tried to explain her to drink more water but she wont listen at all.
I am worried for her, coffee and snickers bars with almost no water can be very dangerous and it can affect kidneys aswell she could loose her kidneys. this is my fear for her. I am also afraid she's already having kidney problems but won't tell nayone.
If anyone can tell me if I am wrong, I mean with coffee and chocolates she can have problems? if she has any kidney problem would it be acute or chronic? how long would it to for a kidney to go out of order if it's untreated?
I'll be realy thankfull if anyone can help me out and I'll try and contact her doctor aswell.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: dehydration and kidney problems

I don't know about chronic dehydration causing kidney problems. If there is already an underlying kidney issue, then being too dry can make it worse, but I don't believe that the dehydration will cause the kidneys to fail. I heard recently that some studies are showing that some people require less fluid than others.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Hello.

Corvah is correct. To my knowledge the fact of being dehydrated cannot in itself cause kidney failure. But could make it worse for someone who already has kidney disease.

What makes you think that your sister already has kidney disease? Is she having any other particular symptom, apart from the dehydration?

When in doubt, get her to go to her primary physician in order for him/her to order the relevant lab work for her. Then, depending on the results of these tests, and if the physician thinks it's necessary, she may get a referral to a nephrologist (kidney doctor). But definitely get her to do this lab work, in order to put your minds at rest, or in case of positive results, to get the proper treatment.

Best of luck,

Monte

Old 09-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
(female)

patooki HB User

thank to u both for the help.

yeah actually she's having pain in lower back, stabbing pain she complained once and also when she drinks water it's like water going through her while peeing otherwise she's having very dark and very less urine. I advised her to get her medcial tests done but as I dont know she's just afraid that something bad might comes in the reports and never want to go to doctor she's always been like this.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User

Very dark urine is a sign of being dehydrated. When the body become dehydrated it has a tendency to pull water from other parts of the body including the spine.

My understanding on this is once the moister has been taken, it take longer to put it back in the area's it was removed from.

The lack of drinking enough water causes all kinds of problems in the body, somestimes the damage can not be undone.

It sounds like your sister has stones or developing lower back problem, both can be caused from lack of water.

Once you become aware of your body and listen to what it's telling you, feed it with the right stuff, then you stop suffering so much. It took a long time for me to learn this.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
(female)

mperez58 HB User

I also have pain in my lower back but its only on the right side. I have had a UTI in the past that I had to go to the emergency room for because it made me sick like I had the flu. The doctor gave me antibiotics and the sickness went away. But ever since then (this was 3 yrs agao) I have been having pain in my right kidney area, now the pain is spreading up my right back, it is very uncomfortable, espessially when I lie down. I am affraid to go to the doctor because I don't feel sick, but since the pain is spreading I am scared that my deglect to cure the problem is causing it to spread. Tell you sister to see a doctor right away her pain could just be a simple uti infection. I myself made an appointment finally to see what is going on.

Closed Thread