It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
(male)

DanSandy HB User
at what creatinine level do you need dialysis

At what creatinine level do you need dialysis. I had a near perfect match, live kidney from my wife in 2004. I wonder how many years it will last. I am 64, so it's been 5 yrs and my creatinine level is 2.8

Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
(female)

KaraAlissa HB User
Re: at what creatinine level do you need dialysis

I'm not sure exactly what number, but I know that it's not before at least 3.8 or more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: at what creatinine level do you need dialysis

Going on dialysis is a complex issue. It is a decision made between you and your doctor, but basically it's mostly up to you. In part it depends on how you feel. Some people feel awful at a cr. of 4, while some leave it too late (like me) and don't go on until they hit 8 or 9. It also depends on how much fluid you are retaining. If you can't void any more, you will need dialysis or you will drown in your own fluids. So you may feel fine, but your kidney may lose the water filtration function. In addition your potassium balance also plays a part. While there are remedies like kayexalate (a substance you take to help bind potassium) at some point the potassium issue may force dialysis too.

Since your creatinine is not that high, it may still be quite some time before you need intervention. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Smile Re: at what creatinine level do you need dialysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coravh View Post
Going on dialysis is a complex issue. It is a decision made between you and your doctor, but basically it's mostly up to you. In part it depends on how you feel. Some people feel awful at a cr. of 4, while some leave it too late (like me) and don't go on until they hit 8 or 9. It also depends on how much fluid you are retaining. If you can't void any more, you will need dialysis or you will drown in your own fluids. So you may feel fine, but your kidney may lose the water filtration function. In addition your potassium balance also plays a part. While there are remedies like kayexalate (a substance you take to help bind potassium) at some point the potassium issue may force dialysis too.

Since your creatinine is not that high, it may still be quite some time before you need intervention. Sorry I can't be more specific.
After having nausea and vomiting 24/7 for 2 months my husband finally went to the ER. They said he had kidney cancer in one kidney and it needed to be removed. A week later, we gave up on them and left the state at the urging of my daughter, a nurse, who knows GREAT doctors.
The urologist , Dr Leonard DeCarlo, said he "probably" had cancer in his kidney but it really needed to be removed and biopsied first.He said, "come look at your xrays; that one looks pretty good." By this time, his creatine level was 5.8. In 2 days in the hosp it went to 3.1. The doc came into the hosp room (by now the nausea had vanished after Dr D had stretched his esophagus or something) and said he had "never seen anything like it. Your creatine is 2.2." We both cried. They did an upper GI he never felt (they knocked him out for it) and removed a polyp from his stomach. He has gastroparesis but feels great ; just a little tired. Doctor D opened up a flap or something that helps take food from the stomach into the colon. Before, he vomited up Jello all day. He has lost 30 lb (weighed 271 at first so needed it) and is getting stronger daily. Then during the upper GI they found a mass on his thyroid. Next week, they will remove his thyroid and one kidney and they doubt he'll have to have dialysis. Dr D will try and remove this huge kidney through his naval for a quick recovery. He is on a catheter, a bag that holds urine around the clock. He doesn't mind it. It could be permanent; we just don't know yet.
I have learned this lesson: CHECK AROUND FOR GREAT DOCTORS. DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT A DOCTOR SAYS JUST BECAUSE HE'S CONFIDENT, SMART, HAPPY, ETC. ASK PEOPLE.
Find a doctor who LISTENS and takes his time with you. The first urologist said he would cut him open deeply and remove the kidney--ten day recovery. Dr D said he had a 50% chance of doing it laporascopically, 2 day recovery.
Only thing I'm concerned about is my H will not do a colonoscopy because of the "prep."
He has not had any diarrhea or pain or VISIBLE blood but who knows? We are moving out of state very soon and buying a new home to be close to Dr D and my daughter and big family in EAST TEXAS. I've prayed my eyes out for weeks and things that used to matter (would you like paper or plastic?) don't matter anymore. Good luck to all.

Closed Thread