It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

Mom Of Jennifer HB User
Just Diagnosed with Renal Stenosis Help please!

I am writing this from the hospital. I had a MRI yesterday of my kidney's. The doctor told me a little while ago that I had an area in my kidney artery and he called it Renal Stenosis. I have a 30% blockage in one artery and 50% in the other,he said I would need to have a stent put in, 2 other physicians say it's not bad enough to do a stent. The reason I am in the hospital was because my blood pressure has been an ongoing issue for many years. I was on 3 meds, Atenol, Lissinipril and Norvasc (amlodipine). I discontinued my Norvasc for a week because it got so expensive and I couldnt afford it and my doc was on vacation and couldn't be reached. He finally got back and after a lot of prodding gave me a script for Micardis to take for 4 days and then diatizem (a calcium channel blocker on the $4.00 Wal Mart list. Anyway my blood pressure was going up and up and on Saturday it went up to 266/166 and I went to the ER and was admitted. They called in a Nephrologist and he ordered the MRI and it came back with what he suspected. He thinks this is the reason for my high uncontrolled pressure, but for so long the other drugs worked fine and my pressure was great. He wants to do the stent but after reading many websites, that it might not work or even cause further problems, I am not sure I want to do this. I wonder if I am being paranoid. I could try different meds for awhile and get a second opinion. What do you all think? I dont want to just jump into this without a lot of thought. They have me doing a workup with an Endocronologist for possible Cushings. I have had my Thyroid removed 25 years ago for Thyroid Cancer, but that is cured. Thanks for your help and suggestions and experiences. I will feel better about making a good decision. I am female 61 years old.
Report Bad Post Edit/Delete Message

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed with Renal Stenosis Help please!

Jennifer,
I can't speak to your individual case, but I've had renal stenosis for 33 years and never had surgery or stents. For several years my blood pressure was borderline high on very high doses of beta blockers, plus a diuretic. Then I was put on calcium channel blockers, and they have been the miracle drug for me. I take verapamil extended release, 240 mg once a day, and my bp is excellent, routinely aroun2 120-140 over 70-80. When I was first diagnosed and I was on beta blockers, we could never get my diastolic below 90. Also, my bp at diagnosis was 210/180.

I'd say it's worth trying another medication; you may still need a combination of meds, but see if you can afford verapamil, as it's the CCB with the fewest side effects.

If it doesn't work, then you're going to have to go for the stents, because having blood pressure consistently that high is going to do serious damage to your entire arterial system.

Ruth

Old 02-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
(female)

Mom Of Jennifer HB User

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING!!!

Since my last posting, I saw the vascular surgeon and he told me that he would not do any surgery on me unless it was worse. My blood pressure has been really good, 120/72 or lower but at times in the morning 140/76 or around that. I am taking a calcium channel blocker, a beta blocker and lisinipril.

The doctor recommended I have a renal scan with lasix and I am waiting to hear the results to that test which was done last week. The doc told me that they might do a dye test into the groin if the flow test showed more blockage but he felt with only 50% in one and 30% in the other surgery is not necessary. He was telling me that an MRI is not the best way to diagnose Renal Stenosis and there are many false readings associated with it. I am so excited to hear about your success. I feel so much better, believe me after reading your post.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

That's good news, Mom, about your blood pressure. That dye test is called a renal arteriogram...it gives them a very good picture of the flow through the renal arteries.

By the way, I didn't mention it in my last post, but I only have one functioning kidney, and that's the one with the stenosis. So even though you've got stenosis bilaterally (which I had too, but since my left kidney isn't functioning anyway, it wasn't of as much concern), it's still possible to manage this medically.

It sounds like the calcium channel blocker may be doing the trick for you. As I said, that was the medication that worked for me...in fact, that's all I'm on now, just one 240 mg pill a day...great stuff!

So glad to hear back from you. Keep me posted, will you?

Ruth

Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
(female)

Mom Of Jennifer HB User

The latest Saga, Ruth. Now I am really confused and don't know what to do.

After waiting over 3 weeks for my vascular surgeon to call me back he finally has his staff call me and tell me that the test didn't really show much. WHAT? Then she goes on to tell me that the doc showed on my chart that he wouldn't do anything unless I was blocked more than at least the 50%, but the only way to tell would be to do a catherization. I told her in no way was I interested in a Stent as I hear these can close up really easy in the Kidney artery and the jury is frankly not in favor of doing Stents unless absolutly necessary.

She wants to schedule for the Cath so I told her to go ahead. Now I am wondering if I made the right decision. My blood pressure has been great. The highest it has been is 150/75 and it usually is around 130/72. It does fluctuate alot if I take it again and again which is probably stupid anyway. According to all the tests they have done so far, my Kidney's are operating perfect and all the blood work is great.

I have a real problem with his staff calling me and giving me this news without talking to him personally and I don't hear anything compelling that sounds scary other than he would like to do the test which I understand carries it's own risk regarding the dye they use.

Any suggestions? I thought perhaps they could do an ultra-sound? Additionally, how could the test not show anything? I don't get it.

Thanks so much!

Closed Thread