It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

karebear77 HB User
Exclamation Anyone have a kidney mass near size 13.5cm?

My mother's urologist just told her that she has a 13.5cm mass on her left kidney. From my research that seems VERY large. They are checking to see if it has spread anywhere (Chest x-ray) and doing an MRI this week.

Has anyone else had a tumor of this size? If so, had it metastasized? I am so scared that it may have spread. She has Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3, and I am also worried about how her other kidney will function when the left one is removed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
(female)

miller0924 HB User
Re: Anyone have a kidney mass near size 13.5cm?

I am very sorry to hear this about your mother. I can only imagine what she's going through with this. I was just told YESTERDAY that I have a 30cm mass on my kidney! I have no idea what to expect. I've been going to the E.R. since January with this awful pain and they kept telling me they couldn't find anything. I finally went to my family Doctor and she READ it right off the records from the hospital.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

karebear77 HB User

My Mom ended up having surgery in mid-April to remove her left kidney. It was a cancerous tumor that had spread into the sinus fat. I think they determined it Stage 3 cancer. They say that there is an 82% chance she will be cancer-free in 5 years. I pray that she will be! Meanwhile, her other kidney is not functioning at full capacity. She has Stage IV Chronic Kidney Disease. That seems like the more pressing concern now. I urge you to find a great surgeon and doctor that you trust. It brings a sense of relief to the scary process. I see you live in Ohio. We went to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. If you like, I can let you know the name of her surgeon. The Kidney Cancer Association is also an amazing resource. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

I strongly sympathise with you. My husband (who is diabetic type 2), had his left kidney removed for a mass that was found some years back. Luckily for him it was caught early at stage 1. He had no symptom of anything being wrong, just one day he suddenly urinated blood, and then they caught it on a CTscan. Before he had his kidney removed, he was not having any kidney probs. After his left one was removed, he developed stage 3 chronic kidney disease. The doctor said this was because of his diabetes. He also takes medication for hypertension. Under normal circumstances, the remaining kidney is supposed to pick up the slack, but I suppose the diabetes prevented that.

Wishing your mother the best possible outcome.

monte

Last edited by montesflus; 05-22-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
(female)

karebear77 HB User

Hi Monte, thanks for your kind reply. I am just curious if your husband's kidney disease has progressed past stage 3? How long since his diagnosis? I have some concern that my mom's kidney function will deteriorate rapidly, but there is no way to know from what I can tell. Since the tumor and kidney were removed, her blood pressure and sugar are both very low. The nephrologist said that keeping these two levels down is the best defense.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

KAREBEAR :

Yes, keeping blood glucose levels in check and also keeping good control on the blood pressure are great defenses. Try to keep a low sodium diet too. I use lemon juice instead of salt. If your mum is NOT diabetic that's a big plus. This disease, as other posters have led me to understand, does not progress quickly. My husband's kidney was removed in 2003. Remember to have the doc give your mum regular lab work to keep on top of it.

monte

Last edited by montesflus; 05-25-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Unhappy Re: Anyone have a kidney mass near size 13.5cm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karebear77 View Post
My mother's urologist just told her that she has a 13.5cm mass on her left kidney. From my research that seems VERY large. They are checking to see if it has spread anywhere (Chest x-ray) and doing an MRI this week.

Has anyone else had a tumor of this size? If so, had it metastasized? I am so scared that it may have spread. She has Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3, and I am also worried about how her other kidney will function when the left one is removed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yes. My husband had at least 11 cm, right kidney. It was encapsulated and they "said" no further treatment. He was playing golf in less than a week. That was in February. Now it's
October and he has a lump on the side of his neck. Two tests came back "inconclusive" which makes zero sense to me. He won't do anything about it.
My opinion is the kidney cancer came about because of a series of CAT scans he had to his head and neck after a car wreck 20 years ago. All that radiation and it wasn't even needed because he was up and fine less than a week after the wreck. He refused a halo brace his doctor said he needed "or you'll be six feet under." Then he won a golf tournament.
I can't tell you how sorry I am for what's happening to you and how upset I am at age 66 that my husband was subjected to all that radiation 2 decades ago.

Closed Thread