It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Please help low eGFR

I recently had some blood work done to actually test for my thyroid,but was surprised I had some other results come up abnormal.
My creatinine serum was flagged at 1.18 high (range .57-1.00)
and my eGFR was flagged for being low at 53 (range >59)
My bun was normal at 9 (range 8-27)

Do I need to worry? My dr. seems to think it is fine.She said the result just means I have been using my muscles more or lying on them more.I have been reading online a eGFR less then 60 means moderate kidney damage though.
I'm not diabetic and my blood pressure is normal.

However,my TSH did come back high (dr. to treat thyroid)
and my cholesterol was a little high too.
I don't know anything about kidneys,but what I'm reading online is freaking me out.It suggests I have stage 3 kidney failure
Can anyone shed some light?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Re: Please help low eGFR

No one?
Interesting a test I had two years ago the creatinine results were 1.0 but had a higher range for normal at 1.3.By those standards,nothing is wrong at 1.18

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Sorry, just saw this post. I wouldn't worry too much. Keep in mind that the eGFR is in fact "estimated". You could have simply been a bit dehydrated. What is important is to keep an eye on it and get the results done periodically. If you continue to see an upward trend over the years, then there will probably need to be some further investigation.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much for your response! I think I was indeed dehydrated because part of the blood test called for fasting so I was afraid to eat or drink anything and didn't for 12 + hours.
My doctor said she thought my kidneys were absolutely ok and said this has happened with other patients and they restest and it is normal.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just one thing your doc should follow up for you here considering the results tho? that would be to simply do a UA for any traces of protien? this would show whether or not you actually have some form of kidney disease playing out here. its just one of the very first indicators of an underlying disease process with kidneys. also obtaining a simple ultrsound done on the abdominal just to actually 'see' what your kidneys are looking like(and other organs too) in there would also help possibly figure out exactly what is impacting them too.

labs show only part of what is the bigger picture when it comes to our organs. this is only because our labs will not change or go out of the norm range til a certain level of actual function impairment occurs from what may be going on within the actual organ itself, as in certain levels of ongoing damage? i myself happen to have a rather heavy extensive form of what is called polycystic kidney disease that actually shows my labs as perfect, all within the midrange of the norm. BUT upon my actual ultrasound you can plainly see the huge cystic globs that are giveing me some really huge organs. this is impacting my kidneys and my liver extensively with no out of the midreange of norm even, but that WILL change once my ongoing damage hits that magic level of function loss, probably much sooner than later here. this just IS the best way to know how the true overall picture of your kidneys realistically are doing, labs AND more importantly seeing what the organs look like with one simple ultrasound.

do you know if you have ANY family history of any types of kidney problems or even liver? just wondering what IS your exact age right now? i definitely would see your doc again for the referral for the US and also to simply do that UA there too. this will all just give YOU and your doc that very best overall condition/picture of the kidneys. i have the labs and US done once every year, which i am now due for again and am a bit apprehensive this time around since i know the changes are commin. this just really will allow a much clearer idea of what may be causeing the changes in your labs. the bigger thing here is if your labs just are changing, something is going on within the kidneys that does need to be identified. you just do need to know what is going on inside your own body. hopefully this is not a highly progressive type of thing for you. good luck, and please do keep us all posted, Marcia

sending you a big wave and a hug cora. me

Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much Marcia,for your response.
I'm 33,and I don't have any (family) history of kidney or liver problems.I do have a family history of thyroid disorder though which is why I had the blood work done.I have been reading that a thyroid problem can definitely effect kidneys and other organs too,so maybe that is what is going on.

My doctor really didn't seem concerned about ANY of my problems and just wrote out a prescription for thyroid hormone (I'm hypothyroid).I don't know if it is because I don't have insurance and she doesn't want to bother,or if it's cuz she genuinely isn't worried.
I'm still worried though...Thankfully there is a website where patients can order their own LABS without a dr.
It is a real thing and you go to an actual lab to have the blood drawn.Then they put the results online for you or mail them to you.So I can get a UA myself even if she doesn't think it's necessary.The US is a little harder to come by though,especially with no insurance.

I'm going to take my thyroid hormone and drink lots of fluids and wait about a month and then test again.If it is still high I will pursue the UA and confront my dr. with my concerns that something is not right.
I really appreciate the wonderful advice and concerns here

Last edited by WhenItRains; 04-23-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

having no ins crap when you actually have something going on really sucks. sorry you don't have that bit of real security and dealing with this too. the one thing needed here tho just to really KNOW if the lab work was due to other factors or a specific issue going on with those kidneys would be that one simple UA being done just to check for ANY traces of protein in it. like i said, this just IS a very specific and early indicator of an actual disease process of some kind impacting your kidneys.

i had actually had protien show up in what was a mandatory type of specific physical we just had to have when i was a ff/emt and had a life too? this, among other tests just happened to also include a urine dip too? when my results came back, the report stated i had traces of protien in my urine, but since there was NO notations in this at all that stated i needed to follow up with my doc for this, and the results were given to me by only my chief at the time, i blew it off only becasue i did not actually even know what it ment back then?

this was actually like almost ten years before i actually found out i even was born with the PKD? it was only after my youngest son became deathly ill that HE was found to have it and we were told he got it from either me or hubby that we both had to have USs that most definitely showed my many many kidney and liver cysts. that was a shocker let me tell ya. the insane part of having PKD is all my labs were always within the norm range, and as of my last set of labs, still are, so who would have even known, ya know? but if i were you i would most definitely get that one UA done. i cannot believe your doc will not actually even do this for a patient??? maybe its time to find a new primary who actually knows what they are doing or cares about wanting to find things out for their own patients too? seriously, thats kinda messed up for any doc to do to any patient. there just IS 'something' going on that IS impacting the lab numbers possibly from impact to the kidneys that needs much more in depth definition for YOUR own sake and overall health too? ya simply cannot actually "appropriately" treat what you do not know you have. pease keep us posted, good luck hon, marcia

Closed Thread