It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

KaitieK HB User
eGFR dropped from 89 to 51 in one year, etc.

Hello!

I'm new and have been doing some reading here trying to better understand kidney issues in general.

I realize that an eGFR of 51 is far from an emergency but what I'm concerned about is the drop in just a year's time (from 89 to 51). My serum Creatinine went from .79 to 1.2 during this same time. Also, my CRP was over range, showing inflammation. I'm not diabetic and do not have HBP. My doctor has referred me to a Nephrologist and my first appointment will be coming up soon.

My question is whether it's possible for the last eGFR to be a 'fluke' of some kind? Can hypothyroidism cause something like this? If so, is it reversible? A couple of months prior to this test I had to switch thyroid meds because my FT3 had gone way below range and had me feeling very badly, which is why I ask.

I've had some minor changes in urine--increased frequency, especially at night; and occasionally have a bit of foamy bubbles or cloudiness. My eyes have become puffy underneath with dark circles, something new for me.

I've also been having a lot of flank pain, mostly on one side. The pain tends to be constant and will flare up for a couple weeks then lessen until the next time, and is something I've had over the years but not as painful as it's been lately. I don't believe it was a kidney infection because I had no fever and no other symptoms, just the pain. Years ago I was told a few times that I had protein and blood in my urine but the doctor was never concerned and chalked it up to my lupus (which has never affected major organs before).

Anyways, I'm just curious if this sounds familiar to anyone. Thanks in advance for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

KaitieK HB User
Re: eGFR dropped from 89 to 51 in one year, etc.

I forgot to mention that my last labs were done 4 months ago, if that makes a difference.

Katie

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

well, you certainly are showing all indications of some level of definite kidney impact here in certain ways. i really don't know about just what real impact the thyroid would or could have upon the kidneys but considering the numbers here AND the mere fact that you did show protien in your urine already, which honestly i cannot believe your doc actually blew off as nothing when it is usually one of the very first underlying indicators of some type of kidney disease?? i do feel you more than likely just do have something very much impacting the kidneys in somne way. one really really good type of follow up test to just have in a situation like this would be getting an abdominal ultrasound done that woulkd simply look at the kidneys and all the other organs in there too? you just really DO need to obtain that very good 'look' at how your kidneys are in there.

unfortuently, just given all of your symptoms like the ongoing flank pain, the protien,the creatinine and that big drop in your GFR, this seriously sounds like some form of an ongoing type of a kidney disease process that NEEDS much better definition right now too? if your GFR had been the ONLY thing not within range without the other symptoms it 'could' be more of a 'fluke', but honestly, given everything you have stated here, this does all point to something going on within those kidneys. its just a matter of getting what type actually Dxed in you now.

getting to that neph as soon as possible will give you a much better clearer picture of what is actually going on here. but your primary can send you right now for that US to be done so you will also have that when you see that neph? it will help most definitely with the diagnosis than without it. there just are certain types of kidney diseases that you can actually Dx thru just seeing the kidneys themselves upon US. i have one called polycystic kidney disease that actually USES that US to fully Dx in a person. the cystic formations of this are very very disease specific so they know almost right away by how the cyts are within the kidneys?

honestly here tho, i really cannot believe that ANY primary could find the protien in anyones urine and not want to check much more in depth just to see what may be going on within that persons kidneys? or retest it at the next appt to make certain its either gone or still there and then go ahead and just do that much needed follow up testing? that seriously was stupid on his part to just kinda drop it then and do nothing further for you. i would seriously consider possibly changing primarys if he did not even know enough to simply do what would be the very next steps when that just occurs? what else is he not actually aware of medically for his patients, ya know what i mean?

i really am sorry to have to tell you all this stuff hon. but if this were me, i would most certainly want to have at least an idea of what i may be dealing with. but i would push your primary at this point to simply refer you for the US soon. getting the lab work when trying to determine organ function/damage or disease really is only part of that bigger picture. you also NEED that looksee at the organ too with at least that US being done on the whole abdominal, esp the liver too since some forms of kidney disease can just also impact other organs as well, most commonly the liver for some sick reason. just make certain the doc does not refer for 'only' a "renal' US, K? i do hope things stabilize for you once you actually find out what is going on with the neph and that US too. please DO keep me posted hon. and good luck with this. Marcia

Old 04-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
(female)

KaitieK HB User

Marcia--thank you so very much for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it!

It's very helpful to know to be sure I get an abdominal US, not just a renal one...I would never have known. I see the Neph next week so will see about an US then.

It's also helpful to be able to have a sense of what may possibly be going on, it makes me feel more prepared for what we may find out.

The primary that ignored the protein issue is looooong gone, and took place when I was still young and naive about trusting doctors. LOL

My current doctor totally ignored my flagged eGFR result and my complaint of flank pain until I looked up information online and called her back about it. I suspect she did some research because her tune definitely changed and she was quick to give me the referral I requested.

If I had trusted her and ignored this too who knows what could have happened. I learned long ago to not blindly trust doctors...they're only human and can't always stay on top of all the details, so we have to be our own best advocates.

Thanks again, Marcia! I'll report back when I get some answers. I wish you the best with your own health situation!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
(female)

donnagoose473 HB User

what was added in the last year to your meds? Yes, there could be a direct connection.
I also had a 68 gfr and now I test as 54 in 1 year.That is the key.When i look back I see only 1 change. Doubling my PPI for acid reflux. I felt I needed it, but......Now I too have the polyuria, increased urination, urgency..... This is a symsptom for loss of kidney function.But sometimes this problem is in the tubules(inflamed) and the soon as you stop taking the new medicine under doctor guidance, the problem CAN REVERSE ITSELF.not so much with other CAUSES. I have been up reading on this because I got the tip from a great gal on thread!Good luck!

Closed Thread