It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
(female)

olive juice HB User
Unhappy wondering how long it can take to pass a stone!

I am 38 yrs old and last month I had pain on my left side of my back. Went to the Dr. and they told me that I may have a urinary tract infection! When the test came back it was negative. I then went in for a CT scan becouse of the pain I was in was not going away!!! Found out I have kidney stones! The CT scan showed (1) 5mm stone on my left side and (3) 2mm to 3mm on my right side!! Not sure if I have passed them because the pain comes and go's on the left side. Then 2 days ago my right side started hurting. I can't believe the pain that I am in. Im in a bit of a bind right now as I don't have insurance to get the 5mm removed if needed, which I would of thought it would have passed by now! My urologist said it can take up to 22 days to pass a stone but mine has been longer going over a month now! should I be worried. It seems weird to me that the pain comes and go's sometimes worse and sometimes not so bad. Am I the only one that has gone this long not passing a stone!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
(male)

Mces97 HB User
Re: wondering how long it can take to pass a stone!

I had a kidney stone attack on march 8th. I did not pass it until 7 weeks later. There really is no set time. some people pass it within hours of feeling the initial attack, some pass it in days, some in a week. Drink plenty of spring water, no soda, or lots of salt and sugary stuff and if your doctor did not prescribe it, get a prescription for flomax.
Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
(female)

rdhdju HB User

Hi - I have had chronic ongoing kidney stones since 2000. I'm in my 50's. My first one took me about two months to pass - the second one was too big to pass, so a urologist
had to go up through the ureter and get it.
To make a long story short, these have never, ever gone away for me. I've probably had close to 8 that I have been able to pass myself, one that I had to have broken up because it was the size of a half dollar and unpassable (this one got unbearable on the way back from Sturgis via motorcycle trip).
I had one in my ureter for almost a year that I finally passed earlier this year.
Within ONE YEAR of having the big one blasted, I had another one - they never stop. ( I have calcium oxylate stones).
The only thing that seems to help is drinking straight lemon juice through a straw - about 8 oz right before bed time - tons of water during the day, and even though I've been told to drink a beer a day causes it flushes out the kidneys, I really don't care for beer, and will drink one when in a lot of pain - thank god I have a high tolerance to pain, even though stone pain is NOTHING like I've ever had in my lifetime, and I haven't taken anything during all this time that completely gets rid of the pain. Flomax helps when you know something is moving on down the ureter.
I was reading a thread on this previously where a woman said the pain can be present and excruiciating and then just STOP. This is sooooo typical. They have a mind of their own.
I'm glad I found this site cause now I know I'm not the only one and I'm not going nutz. 99% of the doctors seem to think if you're not crying and screaming, then you really don't have a stone, but it doesn't do your body or mind to be in that state anyway. I just keep doing all that I can do and deal with the pain as much as I can. If anyone has any newer ideas, suggestions, or if I can be of help to someone, please e-mail me. thank you - Julie

Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
(female)

Lugrita HB User

I was just coming here to post this same question. I have had one for over 3 months and it's really starting to hurt, but it won't come out. :x They measured it at 3mm on u/s in early March, and I have been trying everything, but the thing won't come out. I'm off to post my question...

Old 05-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
(female)

rdhdju HB User

Hi.............I'm sorry to hear that you are in a lot of pain right now. These things are the pitts as they can take off without warning and stop the same way. As I seem to have them all the time, I periodically get a little disgruntled and do something not too smart like when I planted a rosebush yesterday. I was hurting already, so thought maybe doing something really physical would move the darn thing. I awoke around 3 a.m. in excruciating pain - so I know what you are going through. I don't think even childbirth compares to a stone, and unless you have had one, you can't relate.
Have you tried drinking straight lemon juice (through a straw of course, or else you will wear the enamel off your teeth) to break it down? I have a 4 oz shotglass with a short straw that I use. It's a slow process, but it DOES WORK. No one will insure me because of these things, so I had to find something else, cause the last time I had one removed bcause it was too large to pass, I had to borrow money against my house. I then developed several more in less than a year, so I had to find something else that worked. (They run in my family).
The olive oil mixed with the lemon juice just makes it a little slippery for the stone to move - I personally can't stomach the olive oil.
The pain CAN come and go. It can slam you and then disappear for days before coming back - all depends on where the stone is to begin with. I used to think I was crazy because the pain was so excruciating and intense, and then it would just disappear like nothing happened. Sometimes you're going "am I crazy or what?"
You asked if you should be worried if a stone doesn't pass rather shortly - no. I had one in my ureter for about 6 months that would not budge no matter what I did, just had to wait it out. The present stone I'm working on right now - left-sided - I've had for about 6 months. The lemon juice is slowly breaking it down cause I can feel when a little chunk is coming down. I drink a ton of water, cranberry juice once in a while, and do the lemon juice every day, and if I'm in a lot of pain, two times or more per day. The best time is just before bed cause it has time to sit in there and percolate, so to speak and break something down. If it gets really bad, have a beer cause it dialates everthing. Also, as mentioned on here before, Flomax or something like that used for relaxation of the prostate works well too when the stone is moving. LIke you said,you can't believe the pain that you are in - there is nothing to describe it unless whoever you are talking to has had one themselves. Lots of times they don't believe you because you are not crying hysterically and jumping up and down.
Are you on some type of pain medication? Really, there isn't too much out there that will completely get rid of the pain, but just dulls it. I take Percoset when it gets really bad, and otherwise I will take Tramadol and Ibuprofen.
I hope that you get rid of your present stone fairly quickly. LIke you, I have several in both kidneys. Hang in there! Julie

Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

did any of you here have sever night sweats with your stones?
I hope someone can answer my question.
My husband was just told he has a renal stone which was found in blood work at the local family clinic who takes patients on a sliding scale fee if you have no medical insurance. thank GOD for clinics like this.
they didn't find it on the CT scan he had performed on him while in the ER.
maybe because he wasn't able to get down the recommened amount of contrast material because of his severe retching, vomiting and nausea attacks. the dr. decided to do it anyway and hoped that what he was able to swallow down was enough. but obviously it didn't show up in the CT SCan.

Now this morning I'm changing all the linens including the mattress pad, and his sopping wet two tee shirts he went to bed in.
I've never seen anything like this and I'm worried sick.
No insurance. less medical care.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
(female)

Eden021251 HB User

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your kidney stone. They are very painful, and I have had chronic kidney stones for about 18 months. I usually pass mine in about 9 or 10 days, but the pain often returns in another week or so because I am passing another stone. If it's taken you this long with no relief, perhaps you have multiple stones that are gradually being passed. Also, sometime the small stones are hard to detect on ultrasounds, x-rays, and other methods of screening. Good luck, and hope your pain goes away soon.

Closed Thread