It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
(female)

Eden021251 HB User
What Is It Like to Have a Ureteroscopy and a Stent?

I have had chronic kidney stones for about two years now, and typically produce 2-3 every month. Although they usually pass naturally, I have developed a 4 x 7 mm stone that has not moved in about a month, so I am having ureteroscopy to remove it. I'd rather not have a ureteroscopy and would prefer lithotripsy or removing the stone via lower back incision, but my urologist is only willing to remove it via ureteroscopy.

I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure, and if so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you would share your experience with me. Also, my urologist will insert a stent in my ureter following the surgery, and I'd like to know more about stents and how much pain they cause. If anyone has ever had a stent, it would be great to hear about their experience and complications, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

bbird33 HB User
Re: What Is It Like to Have a Ureteroscopy and a Stent?

Hello, I had lithotripsy about 2 1/2 week ago, so I can't tell you about your surgery but I can tell you about the stent I had for 1 1/2 weeks. It sucked. That about sums it up. I had symptoms (pain, nausea, burning urination) with my kidney stone 3 nights in a row so I had my surgery the 4th morning. The stent was placed during the surgery and when I woke up the nurses watched to see if I could produce urine. I did fine and I went home. I had the surgery on Friday and I went back to work on Monday. The stent made me feel like I had an extremely bad bladder infection for 1 1/2 weeks. It hurt my bladder when I stood too long (I had to stand at work) and it really hurt when I urinated. The discomfort was almost unbearable. I was never more relieved than when the doctor took out the stent (a little more pain) and then, other than burning on urination, my discomfort was gone. I felt like myself again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
(female)

glittergirl HB User

I had the same and the procedure was easy enough because they knocked me out. I had the stents in for two weeks and I knew they were there the entire time. They didn't kill me the entire time, but I was aware they were there. I had some pain with urination and some blood, but the bad pain was not usually there. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say it was a 5.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
(female)

Eden021251 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbird33 View Post
Hello, I had lithotripsy about 2 1/2 week ago, so I can't tell you about your surgery but I can tell you about the stent I had for 1 1/2 weeks. It sucked. That about sums it up. I had symptoms (pain, nausea, burning urination) with my kidney stone 3 nights in a row so I had my surgery the 4th morning. The stent was placed during the surgery and when I woke up the nurses watched to see if I could produce urine. I did fine and I went home. I had the surgery on Friday and I went back to work on Monday. The stent made me feel like I had an extremely bad bladder infection for 1 1/2 weeks. It hurt my bladder when I stood too long (I had to stand at work) and it really hurt when I urinated. The discomfort was almost unbearable. I was never more relieved than when the doctor took out the stent (a little more pain) and then, other than burning on urination, my discomfort was gone. I felt like myself again.
Wow, that REALLY sucks. I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with the stent, but thanks so much for replying. I got my surgery on Friday and a stent was also inserted. So far, the stent pain is almost as bad as the kidney stone it self was, plus having the constant feeling of needing to urinate, just like a really bad bladder infection. I'm getting mine out on Friday, and it seems like an eternity. I'm glad you got some relief after your stent was removed, and hopefully I will too. I was wondering what the removal of the stent is like, as my doctor didn't really explain the exact specifics of the procedure. Were you given general anesthesia, or just something to numb the urethral area? Also, how long did it take for your doctor to extract yours (if you don't mind me asking)?

Thanks so much for your help, and I hope you stay stone-free in the future

Old 06-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
(female)

Eden021251 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergirl View Post
I had the same and the procedure was easy enough because they knocked me out. I had the stents in for two weeks and I knew they were there the entire time. They didn't kill me the entire time, but I was aware they were there. I had some pain with urination and some blood, but the bad pain was not usually there. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say it was a 5.
Thanks for sharing your experience, glittergirl. My ureteroscopy was pretty much the same as yours. I had my surgery on Friday, and I'm still in pretty bad pain, but I really know what you mean about just knowing that the stents are there. It's just such a weird feeling, cause I can feel it inside my body, and it feels so invasive or unnatural almost. That's really unfortunate that they left your stents in so long, as I'm hoping to get them out within a week.

Thanks so much for your help, and good luck with your kidneys in the future

Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
(female)

bbird33 HB User

Taking out the stent was quick. The doctor cleaned the area with a topical wipe (I'm not sure if it had numbing properties or not) he put a small tool in to grab the stent then he just quickly pulled it out. It hurt strongly with the pull but it was over quickly. (Urine came out when the stent came out.) I then had a burning sensation on urination for about 5 days and a little bit of blood the first day but no more pain in my bladder/abdomen.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
(female)

mmk2009 HB User

Sorry to hear you have stones, I also suffer from them. I just recently had surgery and had a stent put in. It was awful. I ended up with an infection and the pain was crazy from the stent. I eventually started leaking urine just walking so I made an appointment to have the stent taken out early.

Back in 2003 when I was pregnant I had stents in both ureters and had absolutely no problem with those. The only issue that did arise was that they crystalized because I had to keep them in for so long due to being pregnant and having suffered a ureter obstruction because of a stone.

As far as taking out the stents, it hurts but it's fast and I wasn't sore for more than a couple of days afterwards.

Closed Thread