It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Question Can frequent urination be a symptom of kidney problems?

I keep going for regular doctor checkups and the doctor always says I'm doing very well. But I have to be careful about what I eat or drink. Tea, coffee, cold water, watermelon, cantelope or too much fruit in general causes me to urinate frequently. Could it have something to do with kidney function?

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-06-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: word change

Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Can frequent urination be a symptom of kidney problems?

Frequent urination is more a sign of diabetes than kidney problems. If you feel the need to urinate, but don't go much, that is more a sign of a UTI as well. Has your doc checked for diabetes? Sorry I can't be more help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Thanks, Cora. Yes, I was checked for diabetes and I'm okay.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
(female)

Jrobaby HB User

My father has PKD, a kidney disease in which cysts form over the kidneys and other internal organs. He has frequent urination as well. He recently had a device inplanted in his bladder. It sents electrical signals through the bladder with wires basically. Nobody could figure out why he had to pee so often, other than the fact that the little signal telling your body, " hey I need to pee" was going off way to often. So this device stops that signal.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

Yes there several gentic problems like batter syndrome and gitelmann syndrome that are like this. have them check your gfr or potassium levels and protein in the urine. if they are out of whack it could be a kidney problem.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
(female)

lynette hobbs HB User

i have very bad sciatica pain can you tell me if this pain can cause itching it is right on the area where i have got the pain thank you lynette hobbs

Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks, Jrobaby & caring12, I'm going to see my doctor about this. I just had a "complete" check up but it didn't include a urin sample test. I'm so used to having frequent urination that I didn't even think to mention it to my doctor. So I guess I'll need to make another appointment.

One thing is that I do have low blood pressure, I don't use any salt on my food and I don't eat any foods that have added sodium. Possibly it would help it I added some salt to my food.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
(female)

donnagoose473 HB User

it is called polyuria, frequent urination. check it out,for sure.listen to everybody else talk about when it is too late and they can't reverse CDF

Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
(female)

True. I had seen drs about it been sent to a urologist but needed nephrologist. i would test for diabetes. i waste or lose large amts of potassium. i knew there was a problem but it took a long time to get a dx. fine a nephrologist and get some testing done. i think a lot of gps miss this. they equate frequent urination with diabetes and let it end there. get a GFR test a kidney function test. i was shocked to find mine was in decline. they had seen protein and i had an ivp a special kidney test but not this test. now test for electrolytes either or metablolic screen.

have you felt tired like a vague flu or muslce achy or weak at times

Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caring12 View Post
have you felt tired like a vague flu or muslce achy or weak at times
No, I only had two bad weeks this year and it was because I was walking too much out in the Florida heat and humidity (uper 90s). I didn't feel sick but I didn't have much energy for about 2 weeks. Now I have a gym membership and I'm exercising in cool airconditioning 2X per week. And I hope to increase it to 3X. I'm 69 so I'm working up to it slowly.

The first time I noticed it being really bad was in 1970 but I attribute that to poor living conditions. It got better but then there were times when it got worse again. I mostly blamed it on living conditions (no airconditioning and poor heating in winter). For the past ten years I have had good living conditions (central heat and air etc.) and I notice that my general health is quite good. But at the same time I have noticed that I can't tollerate certain foods that promote urination like tea, watermellon or hot coffee on an empty stomach. Cold water from a drinking fountain will go through me in about 20 minutes.

One thing I have noticed is that after a meal I can go 3 hours without urinating. And if I have a snack before bed, I can sleep for 3 1/2 to 4 hours without having to get up. So I feel like that should be a clue but I'm not sure what it means.

Perhaps if I eat a small snack every time I feel this frequent urination comming on, I'll be ok. Perhaps I should eat more frequent (small) meals.

I can't believe it's a kidney problem because it has not gotten any worse over the past 40 years and I do have some control with food, as I have mentioned.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
(female)

It sounds like you need to get checked. As the other person noted about polyuria there are many possible causes. The heat and weakness is a tell tale sign. If i overdue or I call it over sweating and do not get my electrolyets back up i will be weak and tired for a day. before i got dx and put on potassium it was a week or two.
for some that have undx kindey issues they can be there for years and go unnoticed or untested then one day you simply crash. keep a log of what you drink and how often you urinate. you may beging to notice you are giong more than you are drinking.
better to know now than before things get worse. you could be in some kind of kidney disease decline and not know it. at min they do a metabolic electrolyte screen check for protein in the urine and a gfr or 24 hour urine test. you jsut capture what you put out and keep in the fridge. the dr will give you a container for this. a blood draw and viola. a gfr t est is a kidney function test. if there is a decline this test will tell you.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks, donnagoose473, and everyone, for the information. Now I have to find out how my medicare HMO works for seeing a Nephrologist. I believe I can do that with a phone call tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it works out.

I did some reasearch on Polyuria and was amazed at how many possible causes there could be.

Closed Thread