It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

thankful123 HB User
Renal Mass

I went to the ER with pain in my left flank, CT was done found 2cm Solid mass on my right kidney. I was sent to urologist the same day, he said his gut feeling was it was cancer. I have a CT/contrast scheduled for monday. I have been a bit nervous and the closer it gets , i'm feeling afraid.
The urologist told me I could still go on vacation in august, and when I return we would start treatment. I would have much rather do the treatment then be well for vacation, but he said no.
I'm thinking "what ifs" and that is what is making me scared.
I have decided I'm the same as I was before, and I am trying to put this in back of my mind. Anybody know how to do that?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: Renal Mass

THANKFUL123 :

HI. I'm not a urologist (or any kind of doc, for that matter), but if the doc seems to feel that it is cancerous, then I don't know why waiting around would be a good idea. My hubby was also diagnosed with a solid mass on his left kidney (don't remember what size it was), and he was IMMEDIATELY sent to see his urologist who almost IMMEDIATELY scheduled him for surgery to remove the kidney. And it was a very good job that they didn't wait, because the tumor was at stage 1, and hadn't spread, so no chemo or radiation was necessary. But had they waited longer to operate, who knows what stage it would have been upon removal. I don't want to scare you and I know you have a vacation planned, but if I were in your shoes I'd try to press them to do it ASAP. Or see a different urologist.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

monte

Last edited by montesflus; 07-10-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

thankful123 HB User
Smile Re: Renal Mass

Thank you, that was my toughts too. The urologist said he would know more after I have the CT/contrast, but he didn't feel it would make any differance to wait six weeks. I am going to take your advise an check with another doctor. How is your husband now? I hope he is doing well. Thank you again..

Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User

I fully agree with Monte. I can tell you from experience if there is a mass do not postpone surgery. A 4.2cm mass was found on my right kidney in September of last year, and my kidney was removed within two weeks. It turned out to be a rare form of renal cell carcinoma, called chromophobe renal cell carcinoma, and if it had not been removed at that time, it would have spread outside the kidney and I wouldn't be alive now to tell you this. Please keep us informed. I would not wait any longer than is necessary.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
(female)

This is for thankful123. Haven't seen any updates from you. You said you had an appointment for a CT/contrast that was scheduled for July 12. Have you gotten the results? Please let us know how you are doing.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
(female)

thankful123 HB User

I had the CAT scan done July 12th, all was good. The right kidney mass is 2.2cm, and contained. I feel so much better. Ready to do what I have to do, and move on. Thank you checking on me.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
(female)

Thanks for your quick response! Glad to hear the mass is contained. Mine was also. Because the mass is contained, once the kidney is removed, there is no further treatment, other than checkups. I am thankful they found your mass before it could spread. We are very fortunate. Keep us informed. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
(female)

thankful123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Thanks for your quick response! Glad to hear the mass is contained. Mine was also. Because the mass is contained, once the kidney is removed, there is no further treatment, other than checkups. I am thankful they found your mass before it could spread. We are very fortunate. Keep us informed. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
(female)

thankful123 HB User

Thank you, it really makes me feel better to know you have already traveled this road, again thank you. I meet with my doctor again Aug. 6th, to find out more about what to do.
thanks

Closed Thread