It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

mamahoop HB User
Kidney Functin test - .49 ...What does it mean?

Just had blood work done ... and the EGFR test showed .49 for kidney function... Low ... What does it mean? mh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Kidney Functin test - .49 ...What does it mean?

eGFR is an estimated value that indicates how well your kidneys are filtering. Anything above 60 is considered normal. Do you have any follow ups scheduled? Do you have risk factors such as diabetes or high blood pressure? While it could be a fluke due to lab error or dehydration, it is definitely worth checking out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

mamahoop HB User

Yes, I have a doc appt. end of month. I do not have any risk factors that I know of ... I have normally good (low end) blood pressure & not diabetic. I am on Simvastatin 10 mg for cholesterol & thyroid meds for hypo thyroid. However, I have been under a great deal of stress the last few months. Thanks for your reply ...! Hopefully it is a lab error or something minor. mh

Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

The thyroid meds you are taking for hypothyroidism,''may'' be having an effect on your kidney function. I'm not sure about this and I may be completely wrong. But I believe there is some sort of connection with the parathyroid and kidney function. Ask your doc about this.

monte

Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
(female)

mamahoop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesflus View Post
The thyroid meds you are taking for hypothyroidism,''may'' be having an effect on your kidney function. I'm not sure about this and I may be completely wrong. But I believe there is some sort of connection with the parathyroid and kidney function. Ask your doc about this.

monte
Thanks Monte ... I will ask him about the thyroid med as I'm sure when you are taking meds, things could get off. It's a good thought and I appreciate all the in-put. I will have my questions for the doc. mh

Old 08-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
(female)

mamahoop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
eGFR is an estimated value that indicates how well your kidneys are filtering. Anything above 60 is considered normal. Do you have any follow ups scheduled? Do you have risk factors such as diabetes or high blood pressure? While it could be a fluke due to lab error or dehydration, it is definitely worth checking out.
Cora, Also wanted to say that your comment about the dehydration is interesting too. As I play tennis & I had played tennis that day of the tests. (I played in the morning and the tests late in the day, however) And, we have been having 90+ temps with rare humidity (we are in Co.) and after an hour of playing tennis, I feel light headed. Now, I bring my sport drink, lots of water, eat the banana before playing. It is better but still can feel the heat exhaustion if it's over 90. Fortunately, today it is cooler after a rain, as I'm off to play tennis. Thanks for your thoughts. mh

Closed Thread