It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
eGFR, Hydration/Dehydration - Age - Family History

I had posted in a previous thread that my eGFR reading was 56 with Creatinine of 1.00. I'a 65 yr old caucasion female. I have been told to be well hydrated when I re-test (soon).

I read somewhere that a normal eGFR for my age group should be around 90! But there are so many variables, we're all different, with different body weights, skeletal structures, using (or not using) different meds, etc. Surely eGFR can't be a ''one-size-fits-all'' evaluation

Re hydration. I ''may'' have been dehydrated when doing my most recent lab work. I walk around 2 hrs almost every day, and usually in areas where there may not be a toilet available nearby, so don't usually take water with me, so I won't have the urge to urinate a lot. Since my last eGFR result, I am drinking a lot of fluids, but in the evening hours at home (where the toilet thing isn't a problem). But 2 days before my next lab work I'll stay at home, not walk and drink gallons of water! Can exercise (in my case walking long distances) affect kidney function?

Re family history. I just don't know. Most of my family are in the UK and I live in the states and I'm not in frequent communication with them. A cousin told me he has stage 2 CKD (he's some years older than myself). But I don't know if anybody else in my family has it.

I'm not diabetic. I'm not hypertensive. I'm not on any prescription meds. I was on calcium supplements (stopped recently due to studies connecting them with heart probs). I use Omega3 fish oil, lutein (for my eyes), vit. d3 and cranberry capsules to prevent urinary tract infections. I had quite a lot of them in the past, but none recently. I also use a sub-lingual vit. c supplement. I don't think any of this stuff could cause kidney probs. Or could they? As stated previously I plan to be well hydrated prior to my next test. But what about the rest of the time. Must one be well hydrated ALL the time?

CORA - How old was your hubby when his eGFR was 59? How much later did it subsequently go up to 79 after testing with good hydration? Has it remained in that range or have there been fluctuations since that time? Sorry to ask you all these questions but my head is kind of spinning right now as considering my medical history I don't seem to be a typical candidate for CKD. Sorry this thread is so long and drawn out.

Thanks for any help or info offered.

monte (Irene)

Last edited by montesflus; 08-20-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: eGFR, Hydration/Dehydration - Age - Family History

Whew - Irene, that's a lot of stuff. First off, whoever said that eGFR of 90 at your age was normal is not that well educated. There is no "normal" GFR for anyone as long as it is over 60. There is only what is normal for you and what your trends have been.

My husband is 47 and in January is GFR was low and last month it was back in the 70s. Hydration can make a big difference. If you do a lot of exercise, don't be surprised if your cr. goes up a bit. Cr. is a byproduct of muscle metabolism. So if you have a lot of muscle, or use it a lot or more than usual,you will see a slight rise in cr. Again, try not to obsess about the numbers. Nothing is completely static in the human body. Even a bad night's sleep can affect your labs somewhat. What you are concerned with is what the trends are over time. Right now it sounds as though you are doing everything you can to take good care of yourself and you have minimal other risks for CKD. Try not to worry. To put it in perspective for you, my Dad is 77 years old and his cr is 1.4 (not sure what his GFR is). It is to be expected that as you age, your kidneys slow down somewhat. In technical terms, a nephrologist might say he is in stage 2 kidney disease, but that doesn't look at the whole picture. He would probably have to live to be 110 to end up in ESRD.

I know it's hard, but the odds are that you are perfectly fine. Just keep an eye on things. While you are not old, you are at an age now where you want to monitor things on a regular basis.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CORA :

Great info from you (as usual). You're a brick for responding so quickly, and I very much appreciate it. I also understand what you say about watching the ''trends''. As I had mentioned in a previous post, back in 2008, my eGFR was at 63 with a Cr. of 0.9. Actually, I didn't even know then that my doc HAD even tested me for that (like this time) And since he never called me to advise me about it and I was not yet registered on my clinic's website at that time, I never checked it out. I may have been dehydrated back then too, I really don't know. But could that be a ''trend'' ? dropping from 63 to 56 in 2 yrs?

So your hubby waited from January to July to retest, you say. I had thought to re-test myself (with good hydration) at the end of this month. My doc seemed to be ok with that (recommending I drink plenty of fluids for 1-2 days prior). Do you think I should wait longer than that to re-test, considering that my last test was on on Aug. 17?

Thanks so much for your help and prompt reply,

Irene (monte)

Old 08-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Hi Irene. If your doc doesn't mind the additional test, then you may as well go for it. If only to ease your mind. As for the change in cr from 0.9 to 1.0 - for all practical purposes, there is no difference. That's like saying last year my glucose fasting was 83 and this year it's 84. Also, the GFR is a good indicator, but also somewhat unreliable. So once again, don't get your knickers in a twist. Again, the drop from 63 to 56 could be a combo of things including some lab error (there is always some small margin of error) and level of dehydration. In future, always make sure you drink lots the day before labs. You can even keep hydrating somewhat (don't over do it) that morning.

My hubby waited for more blood work because he had other things going on (including being back in school) and I wasn't that concerned as I knew he wasn't well hydrated and we were working on other issues (he had extremely low B12 and we dealt with that first.

Hope this helps. Again, it could be a natural part of aging and I would suspect that at this point, that is what it is. To help some more with perspective, it took me 16 years to get from the point of a creatinine of 2.2 to finally needing dialysis. If you were me, and your cr. was at that level (instead of the 1.0 that it is) you would still be 81 years old before needing dialysis. Of course, things can change. But then again, if you are not careful crossing the street and looking both ways, you might get hit by a bus. LOL

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CORA :

Once again I have to thank you. You really are a godsend to all of us here. I suppose that my hubby being at stage 3 (after having a kidney removed due to a stage 1 tumor) makes me even more aware and nervous about this stuff.

If I WOULD HAVE KNOWN about being well hydrated before doing lab work for kidney function, then I JOLLY WELL WOULD HAVE DONE THAT! Thing is that I am VERY reticent about getting lab work or any kind of medical check up for myself at all. Especially since I have to deal with my hubby's situation. and ESPECIALLY since my hubby, some years back, got pancreatitis (which cleared up on it's own), due to a certain prescription med he was on. People who usually end up with that condition are either alcoholics or have a problem with gall stones or other circumstances, NONE of which applied to my hubby. He certainly didn't drink as he's a type 2 diabetic and couldn't drink, anyway! We ended up suing Eli Lilly (drug manufacturer) and received a small settlement. Both of my own kidney lab tests (2008 and most recent) were requested by my doc WITHOUT MY PRIOR KNOWLEDGE. He knew, I suppose, that if he didn't do it that way, that I'd probably never get it done
I had requested specific labs for myself, withour realizing that he'd ordered other ones unbeknownst to me. Crafty. But I suppose he had my own good health in mind. So that is why I was not well hydrated before doing them. Same with the Lipid Profile. I didn't know he'd requested that either and therefore didn't fast 14 hrs. prior. My total cholesterol was high - 263 - but my HDL (good) cholesterol was 70 which is excellent. I suspect he ''may'' ask me to take a statin med for this. I don't want to and will try diet instead, especially as my HDL was so good. Even though I will re-test for this too, and fast prior, my doc said that the differential between fasting and not fasting for this test is very small.

Oh well. Another rant Just my way of trying to alleviate anxiety.

Thanks for your patience.

monte (Irene)

Last edited by montesflus; 08-21-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Closed Thread