It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

daryllyn HB User
Kidney stone stuck since early may :(

Hi there

I am new to healthboards and have questions!

A little background:

I am 28 years old and started getting kidney stones during my last pregnancy. I have had 10 stones in the span of 12 months. One was analyzed and it was comprised of Calcium Phosphate.

I started having back pain in early May. I did not think it was a stone at first. It was just pain, slightly stabby, but not renal colic. So I went to the chiropractor. When several visits did not resolve it, I made an appointment with my doctor. I told her that I thought maybe it was another stone and I wanted a scan. She said it was not a stone, I was too young for that and wasn't in enough pain for it to be a stone. She sent me for a scan anyway (I am just a little pushy).

Turns out I had a 5mm stone stuck at the UVJ in my left distal ureter. They said it was very close to passing. So I pushed fluids and waited. Then I went to see the Urologist and I took Flomax, pushed fluids and waited. I was referred to another Urologist and lost medical coverage before the appointment rolled around.

The stone is still there. The pain gets worse as time passes. I have had 6 utis (working on number 7 now) because of it. Its interfering with my day to day activities. I can hardly pick up my kids because lifting hurts so bad I am at a loss. My college even told me that I am not to return until I have medical documentation saying that the stone is gone so I am missing my core nursing classes as we speak (they started today actually).

My thought process is that if it hasn't passed-its not going to. The Uro said I am in danger of wearing a hole in ureter, blocking the flow of urine which may lead to kidney damage, and strictures that will may future stones nearly impossible to pass. He also said that it will likely take more than one procedure to get it out.

So my questions are:

What on earth am I to do? If I go to the ER, what will they do? What options are there for someone with no medical coverage?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

kazma HB User
Re: Kidney stone stuck since early may :(

Wow sorry you're having so much trouble. I really don't know what you can do about medical coverage as the health system here is different but have you asked your doctor about a lithotripsy?? And you say you've already passed ten stones in the last 12 months?? what is wrong with your doctor then?? She should be doing something about it! Especially when it causing you so many problems. I don't now how your hospitals work either sorry but when I have massive attacks which can't be hekped with painkillers at home I go to the ED and they will give me IV meds for the pain. I hope you can get rid of it soon

P.S I'm 26 and had my first at 17 so your doctor sounds stupid!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
(female)

kazma HB User

Sorry I get really mad with doctors sometimes! I'm also a nursing student lol

Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
(female)

Memo381 HB User

First of all, I can totally empathize with this since I went through this last year. If the stone is a 5 then it could pass, but it is getting a little bit large. It needs to be broken up with lithotripsy or you need a stent (which is what I had). You can't live like this. Just go to the ER and they can't deny you care. Have them bill you for what you can't pay out of pocket and pay it out. You must get this taken care of. Sometimes, certain cities have charitable organizations that will help you or maybe even find a doctor who donates services to the uninsured... I know it sounds too good to be true, but they are out there. Ask family and friends to help you raise funds to offset your medical expenses. But you must do something because your health and well-being are at risk. Don't worry about school right now, you need to focus on getting well first.
In the meantime, you can try lemon juice mixed with water and a touch of olive oil to drink. It sounds awful, but it is drinkable. It is an old remedy for stones. They also say straight lemon juice is great... be sure to brush your teeth after since it's hard on the enamel. Just a thought.

Last edited by Memo381; 08-29-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: forgot detail

Closed Thread