It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
(female)

KareMarie HB User
Diagnoised with Kidney Stones but didn't show up on Ultra Sound??

Hi I'm 35 year old female who was diagnoised with kidney stone(s) on Friday. About 4 weeks ago I started having lower back aches mostly on the left side, I felt like I had to pee but very little would come out. After a few days I was told my common symptoms seemed like a UTI. ( I never had a UTI in my lifef) so I bought the home UTI test (azo) I think? It showed a large amount of lkcyts. in my Urine, so I went to the ER becuase I was in between med ins., they confirmed I had a UTI after a urine test. I was prescribed Bactrim for 7 days 2x's a day. Pain was gone then last week it came back full force on left side only. The only difference was I was peeing quite a bit all day everyday. I took another inhome uti test and it showed negative. Few days in I went to the drs., (my new ins. kicked in) another urine was done and no sign of uti was present, although said there was blood in urine. The Nurse Prac. that I saw said she would call me with my lab results on that following Monday. I got her v/m Monday night after work saying I had a large amount of crystals in my Urine which suggested stones.... By now the pain is a stabbing sensation that comes in waves, I'd say about a 5 on a 0-10 pain scale, I'm peeing alot still, I think more than what fluid I'm taking in and its clear but has a strong oder, nothing fowl just stronger. I went to the docs today to confirm the stones, Doc gave me tylenol for pain and sent me in for an ultra sound. From what the ultrasound tech said to me, my left side showed no signs of stones at all but my right side showed a cyst on my kidney, she then stated that she couldn't say no more becuase she wasn't a dr. and my dr. would contact me when she reviewed the Ultra Sound. That was today. I have not heard from her, (hopefully tomorrow) but I'm nervous with the cyst comment and the fact that there are no stones present on left side where my pain is, my pain has also gone in the pelvic area up a notch I'd say about a 6 now on the 0-10 pain scale and its still coming in waves except the lower back pain is constand and sharp but still I would rate it as a 6. My questions are, could the right kidney cyst be causing my left kidney and side pain along with the new pelvic pain? No stones are visible so what else could it be? Should I be concerned about a cyst? My mind has been racing and I'm hoping for some insite. Thanks guys!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
(female)

kazma HB User
Re: Diagnoised with Kidney Stones but didn't show up on Ultra Sound??

Hmmm not sure about the cyst but you may have possibly passed a stone if the pain was lower down and they couldn't find it on the scan. Sometimes the stone can still be there and they can't find it. I have 2 stones in my left kidney which have caused absolutely no pain but one in my right which has been a real hassle. They went to do a lithotripsy last week but the stone had moved so they couldn't find it. They said it is probably hidden behind the pelvic bone because I would know if I had passed it (it's a big one) and I could still feel it there anyway. So maybe yours is just hiding. Anyhoo, someone else may be able to help you with the cyst problem. All the best

Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
(female)

michele1982 HB User

Hi, I'm a chronic stone maker- passed over180 in the last 6 yrs. I have most definatly had stones and them not show up on a ultra sound or a CT for that matter. If you feel pain there ask that they do a catscan with contrast. As for the cyst, that i don't know. My grandmother went to ER and the Dr's found a cyst on her kidney- they told her to see Urologist- didn't make it sound URGENT ASAP but, told her to get in soon. good luck!

Old 09-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
(female)

Jrobaby HB User

Not all stones show up on scans, it depends on what kind of stone they are (what it is made of). I have had stones that didn't show up before. But I must say, kidney stones are usualy more of a 10 or 11 on a pain scale of 1-10 so if it is only a 5 or 6 for you, I would think it wasn't a stone. I get pain like that as well sometimes, and my doctor told me it was most likely a benign cyst on my ovary that will just come and go, sometimes going along with my menstral cycle. Either way it's always safe to see the doctor.

Closed Thread