It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
(male)

Demian38 HB User
Kidney Function Decreasing??

Just wanted to know from those experienced enough to know about kidney disorders if I need to be somewhat concerned.

In 2008 I passed my first 100% Uric Acid based stone. Mighty painful too. Nephrologists ordered a CT scan and said they noted 4-5 stones in the kidneys ranging from 2mm-4mm. 24hr urine specimen revealed an alkaline based urine with normal uric acid levels in the blood. They're recommendation was to drink plenty of fluids and followup once a year.

About a year later in a routine blood test. Creatinine levels were just slightly elevated at 1.4 mg/dL. Potassium levels they said were low so they prescribed me 540mg of Potassium Citrate and a water pill for my kidneys.

On April 9, 2010 I had an ultrasound done on my kidneys. My right kidney measured 11.1cm and left at 10.4cm. Normal size. One simple cyst was found on each kidney. One measuring 1.2cm and the second 1.7cm. A small stone was seen in my right kidney. Made me wonder, where did the other 3 go to?

On June 1, 2010 I had another routine blood work done. Cholesterol was elevated. Now on Simvastatin 40mg. Glucose was at 88mg/dL which was normal. Creatinine levels were a steady 1.4 mg/dL again and BUN was at 14 mg/dL normal.

On September 4, 2010 I had a complete chemistry done on me at a local ER room do to uncontrollable myoclonic jerks in my limbs. Nothing chemistry wise showed up adnormal to cause the jerks. The ER doctor did say "Do you have kidney issues?" I told him I did that I have stones and he seemed to not be concerned.

On October 14, 2010 I requested a copy of my labs from that 9-4-2010 visit and started reading the results. Was alittle nervous from what I read. First, Glucose levels were up at 138 mg/dL BUN levels were also up slightly to 24 mg/dL. Creatinine levels were slightly down to 1.3 mg/dL compared to the past. Potassium levels were down at 3.6 mmol/L compared to 4.2 mmol/L just 4 months prior. Total Protein was 1 notch abnormally low at 6.3 g/dL. Their normal range started at 6.4-8.3. BUN/Creatinine Ratio showed normal at 17.9 Now my GFR (MDRD) showed normal but its at 60.7 mL/min/1.73 m2 whereas the chart said a person my age 30-39 should average 107 mL/min/1.73 m2. Est CrCl (CG) showed as 73.8 mL/min.

Now I understand these are all mild symptoms of kidney issues. But could this mean that things are progressively getting worse compared to the past results? I am only 38years old and seem abit young to be having such issues. There was about 4 tests on this lab work back in September that pointed to kidney issues. All the rest of the chemistry were normal. Whats anyone's opinion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread