It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
So tired of accidents

Hi everyone. It's been quite a while since I've posted. I've had a series of "accidents" since the end of Sept. I spent my birthday at the end of Sept admitted to the ER with the flu. No big deal, spent some time in b/c I needed rehydration for the kidney transplant and we had to get the nausea under control. Well, they substituted one of my meds, my reflux got worse, and I ended up with a severe esophageal stricture again (had just been resolved through dilation) and couldn't eat and was mainly drinking juice. Canadian Thanksgiving (Columbus day) was a bust. Anyway, fast forward about 10 days and I started being sick again so went back to the ER. They tried, and tried and tried...........(12Xs) to get an IV in and decided to go for a femorall line in the groin. Well, the resident botched it, damaged the artery, hit a plaque and caused blood clots. I started by telling them that my foot was numb and that spread quickly to me not being able to move my foot and extreme pain in my leg. The response was actually excellent. They expressed me to the other campus of the hospital that specializes in vascular surgery where they gave me a choice. Have an angiogram so tghey could remove the clots and risk my kidney transplant (dye is very toxic to transplanted kidneys) or not have it and maybe lose my food. Well, the risks of the kidney stuff were much lower so I opted to save my foot. My kidney is fine, my foot is good, the artery is repaired (I have a gortex patch) and I have a huge incision. I got out (again) on the 23rd but by the 26 I was infected (immunosuppression strikes again) and the next day I was backk in the hospital. They cleaned everything up and I am now home, but am getting home care and am surrounded by machines. I have an IV pump (I now have a PICC line) that gives me antibiotics 4 times per day and another pump for the vaccuum dressing that is covering the lovely hole in my leg. I'll probably have to wear that about 6 weeks or more.

You know what the worst part was? Before we found out about the botch, the resident that put the fem line in told the staff physician (while standing over me) that he had nearly experienced a vaso-vagall response while doing it. What's that you ask? Well, it means he almost fainted. What? I don't want to hear that you moron. On the plus side, all the responses to what happened to me were excellent and I am willing to admit that accidents happen. I just wish they'd stop happening to me.

So that's my story, I'll be around a bit again (but I'm still pretty tired recovering) and hope you are all hale and hearty. I can eat again too which is great.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cora1003:
grayfox (11-14-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Smile Re: So tired of accidents

Hi Cora,

Monte and I have been extremely concerned about you. It is wonderful to hear from you again!

I can't imagine how awful it must have been for you going through all these medical problems and procedures. Please take care of yourself and rest as much as possible.

I fully understand all of the things that go wrong in the hospital. My daughter went through a nightmare when she was admitted to the hospital with several ruptured hernias and ended up with major infections and more. She also had a PICC line inserted and even that became infected.
To make a long story short, she is fine now.

I'll be looking for more posts from you as you recover.

My best to you,
Grayfox

In case you don't remember me, I'm the 63 year old female that had my right kidney removed last October because of a rare form of renal cell carcinoma. I am at CKD stage 4 now, with an eGFR of 19.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-14-2010 at 01:00 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to grayfox For This Useful Post:
Cora1003 (11-14-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: So tired of accidents

CORA,

I just sent you another PM. Hopefully you'll see it (along with all the others you must have received).

We've all been missing you and worrying about you. I do hope you make a FULL recovery. My hubby also says Hi and wishes you all the best.

monte

The following user gives a hug of support to montesflus:
Cora1003 (11-15-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to montesflus For This Useful Post:
Cora1003 (11-15-2010)
Closed Thread