It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
(male)

Tracy44 HB User
Diagnosed with 5cm mass

I recently had some testing done for possible causes of my long-term hypertension and a 5 cm mass was found in my left kidney on a CT scan. It is not at the top of the kidney, it starts at the bottom and protrudes up, near what the doctor called the "collecting area." It is all contained within the kidney at this point and nothing else in present in my other kidney (which is normal and functioning), plus a chest x-ray showed nothing. This testing was performed at a VA hospital and they recommended a radical left nephrectomy (laprascopic).

I am 44 years old, never smoked, do not drink alcohol, exercise regularly, and live "clean." I have had hypertension with no known cause since my 20's, but was only properly treated for it last year. My BP is now a reasonable 130/75. I just found out about this mass last Monday (Nov. 8th) and have spent this past week getting my records sent to my family doctor and setting up an appointment for an angiogram with my cardiologist (who was the one who pressured me to get testing done). My heart has had some left ventricle thickening due to the hypertension, but they theorize that it has improved since last year and I may be fine for laprascopic surgery. I have not seen a urologist yet (other than the resident that informed me of the mass at the VA), but plan to after my angiogram Tuesday for a second opinion.

I know they are advising a removal because I am young and the survival rate is high for this stage 1 mass. What I want to ask is what am I not asking that I should be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: Diagnosed with 5cm mass

You're remaining kidney should pick up the slack after your other kidney has been removed, and will do the work of two. Try and eat ''low sodium'' as much as possible, to help in the control of your BP.

My husband also had a kidney removed due to a stage one tumor. But he is a lot older than you, plus is type 2 diabetic and takes meds for hypertension. So his remaining kidney is at 36% and he's on the renal diet. But all-in-all he's still doing quite well.

Wishing you the best outcome,

monte

Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
(male)

William Y HB User

I had a 7 cm left kidney mass removed last month by Laparoscopic Radical Nephrectomy with hand assisted. Luckily, it was cancerous and confined in
the kidney. Surgery was perfect and recovery was fast.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

Nisky18 HB UserNisky18 HB User

I would question whether a partial nephrectomy could be done for such a small mass. Its easier for surgeons to just remove a kidney but you're young with hypertension that could make a remaiing kidney work harder. Do internet research about 5 cm kidney masses. Mine was 4 cm renal cel carcinoma and I had a partial nephrectomy 2 wks ago. They only took out the mass. Keep healthy living a priority and good wishes to you.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
(male)

Tracy44 HB User

Nisky18, I had it removed back in December of 2010. I am doing very well, no problems. They could not do a partial because of the positioning of the tumor. I sought second, third, and fourth opinions. The tumor was located near the top by the collecting ducts and rendered a partial not feasible.

I have to say 7 months post-surgery I am doing very well. I have had several checkups, including blood work and x-rays and nothing has shown up. Some people complained of post operative pain months on, but mine was largely gone within a month or so. I occasionally feel a twinge if I stretch my left side too much, but I'm as normal as I have ever been. My hypertension is under control and by the way diet really has little to do with it. I haven't had salt in my home for 30 years. I am also not obese, do not smoke or drink, and exercise regularly. For many people with primary hypertension it is just the luck of the draw. I am thankful I live in a time when I have access to doctors and medications to keep these problems to a minimum so I can enjoy my life.

For anyone facing surgery I highly recommend listening to guided imagery cd's or downloads. The connection between mind and body is something we overlook most of the time, but when one is facing imminent surgery relaxing is important. I derived great benefit from my relaxation audio tracks. During my surgery I bled very little and recovered quite well. Highly recommended.

Closed Thread