It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

AusChrissy HB User
11 years Cardiomyopathy now Stage 3 CKD

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else has developed kidney disease as a result of Cardiomyopathy/Heart Failure. I have been on Aldactone, 50mg and Lasix 120mg for the past 5 years or so. My kidney function has deteriorated over the past 3 months, Urea 10.0, Serum Creatinine 110, with a eGFR of 45. I eat very well, fresh mostly and also juice with vegetables.

My main question is, with this sudden deterioration of my kidney function, (I realize a lot of you on here have much worse kidney function), I would love some advice as to what I should be doing now. Obviously I do not want to have this happen, but of course with 11 years of heart drugs and the duiretics, there has to be some effect on my kidney health.

My doctors are satisfied that my kidneys have been stable over the last few months, but this has really only started to occur in the past 3 months, and I have already had 3 blood tests for this, so they are keeping a pretty close eye on what is developing. I would love to be able to do something myself though, ie diet, exercise etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
Re: 11 years Cardiomyopathy now Stage 3 CKD

Hi,

You don't mention your age. Did your doc recommend you see a Nephrologist - (kidney doc)? eGFR and Creatinine Serum lab results often vary with age, gender, ethnicity, previous medical probs, present medical probs, and medications taken/taking, and also whether or not you were well hydrated on the day you took the test. For example, my eGFR result a few months back was 56 and my doc said to re-test with good hydration. So I stayed home for 2 whole days and drank like a fish and ''voila'' - my eGFR rose to 63! I'm 65 yrs. old and the doc said that was normal for my age, gender and ethnicity. I'm white, and while I don't normally think it polite to mention a person's ethnicity, let's face it - ethnicity IS important when it comes to medical & health probs. BTW, I'm white (forgot to mention) Lab results for people of African descent, for example, are interpreted differently.

Keeping your blood pressure in good control is VERY important with kidney disease so try to eat a low sodium diet as much as possible. Keep yourself well hydrated. I'm assuming you're ''not'' diabetic, 'cause if you are this can also damage your kidneys.

Re further dietary requisites. IF your docs have NOT recommended you being on the renal diet, then I'm assuming you don't need to be on that right now. That's why it might be better for you if you DO see a Nephrologist as he/she would probably know what's the best treatment for you. Would you need a referral to see one? Also, the nephs know EXACTLY which lab work tests to run and would probably request many more tests for your kidney function than you've had done so far.

Hope this helps a bit,

monte

Last edited by montesflus; 11-29-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
(female)

AusChrissy HB User

Thanks for your prompt reply Monte. I am 56 and a white Australian. As this has really only developed I feel that my cardiologist is just keeping a watch on it, and as I have said, I am having a kidney test very frequently. I see my GP on Friday so I will ask him if I need a referral. I am also going to ask for a referral to a dietitian as I have just noticed that this change has coincided with a diet I started at that time, to help fix my liver problems. I had problems with my liver at that time and started a diet of good protein, fruit, vegies and low carbohydrate. My liver has improved brilliantly, but maybe my kidneys don't like it.

I do keep my fluids up, even though I have to watch it with my heart problems. I don't think that would have influenced my results, but I will make sure I do have that bottle of water with me from now on though. Thanks. My concern is that this has come on quite suddenly, my first blood test that revealed this was in August 2010.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusChrissy View Post
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else has developed kidney disease as a result of Cardiomyopathy/Heart Failure. I have been on Aldactone, 50mg and Lasix 120mg for the past 5 years or so. My kidney function has deteriorated over the past 3 months, Urea 10.0, Serum Creatinine 110, with a eGFR of 45. I eat very well, fresh mostly and also juice with vegetables.
Both Aldactone and Lasix are very hard on the kidneys. Also...... Heart Failure causes your metabolism to over-produce various hormones, which can result in damage to organs, glands, nerve endings, etc. Survival makes it important to block or inhibit the overproduction of these hormones.

Quote:
My main question is, with this sudden deterioration of my kidney function, (I realize a lot of you on here have much worse kidney function), I would love some advice as to what I should be doing now. Obviously I do not want to have this happen, but of course with 11 years of heart drugs and the duiretics, there has to be some effect on my kidney health.
As you age, your metabolism changes, making it more difficult for your kidneys to tolerate the effects of medications like Aldactone and Lasix.

Quote:
I do keep my fluids up, even though I have to watch it with my heart problems. I don't think that would have influenced my results, but I will make sure I do have that bottle of water with me from now on though.
Too much liquid in the diet make it more difficult on a damaged heart. One sign that the heart is having problems with too much liquid is swelling in the ankles, legs and feet. Lasix, of course, helps you to get rid of liquids, but Lasix is hard on the kidneys.

Quote:
My doctors are satisfied that my kidneys have been stable over the last few months, but this has really only started to occur in the past 3 months, and I have already had 3 blood tests for this, so they are keeping a pretty close eye on what is developing. I would love to be able to do something myself though, ie diet, exercise etc.
Your doctors might be satisfied with deteriorating "stable" kidneys, but I wouldn't be. Many doctors are just not knowledgeable about the most effective medications for Heart Failure/Cardiomyopathy.

To me, the safest, most effective medications for Heart Failure are Ace Inhibitors and Coreg (Carvedilol). These medications attempt to suppress the damaging excess hormones that cause higher blood pressure, heart rhythm/rate problems and that can damage every organ/gland in one's body.

I have struggled with Heart Failure for over 23 years. I don't take Lasix. I limit my liquids. I limit my salt. I limit my meals to small, frequent meals so that my heart doesn't have to work too hard during or after eating.

One unfortunate effect of Heart Failure is that it makes it more difficult for one's metabolism to properly convert calories to energy. That can lead to Diabetes, among other problems. That makes diet even more critical to someone with Heart Failure.

I posted a thread in Heart Disorders titled: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=742271

Just somethings to think about.

Best of luck and health to you!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 11-30-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
Both Aldactone and Lasix are very hard on the kidneys.
I strongly agree with Machaon! As the kidney function worsens, it becomes more and more difficult for the kidneys to process some of the drugs prescribed for us by our doctors. Actually, there are some that can cause a person with a chronic renal failure to go into an acute renal failure. By stopping the drugs immediately most of the lost kidney function can be restored.
In my case, I was on three diuretics, including Lasix, as well as many other drugs, including an ACE inhibitor. The problem is that when the kidney function reaches a certain level, some diuretics stop working, or do not work too well. More are added in hopes of helping with the excess fluids. The ACE inhibitor can become toxic to the kidneys. So I would caution anyone to take only as few drugs as necessary. Doctors tend to overprescribe IMHO. I still have some unresolved issues regarding the drugs and am waiting to hear which ones will be used to bring my blood pressure back to normal. I have had to stop most of the drugs I had been taking.

Quote:
As you age, your metabolism changes, making it more difficult for your kidneys to tolerate the effects of medications like Aldactone and Lasix.
Agreed!

Quote:
Too much liquid in the diet make it more difficult on a damaged heart. One sign that the heart is having problems with too much liquid is swelling in the ankles, legs and feet. Lasix, of course, helps you to get rid of liquids, but Lasix is hard on the kidneys.
Sometimes it is not possible to keep a good fluid balance, no matter how many diuretics are used.

Quote:
I posted a thread in Heart Disorders titled: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life.

The direct link is: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=742271

Just somethings to think about.
A good read!

Best of luck with your medications and diet.

flowergirl

Closed Thread