It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
(male)

Helmet HB User
Exclamation Left Kidney Lesion

Hi there,

Over the last 2 months I have been going through the following:

1) Upon an Ultrasound investigating something else something was spotted on my left kidney.
2) On further analysis via an MRI scan the result was still not determined.
3) Upon a CT scan it had been identified that I have a 2cm lesion, they had done a triple phase scan.
4) The position of the lesion is in the middle of my kidney and thus a biopsy has not been advised as the lesion sits near core plus vessels.
5) Apparently the scans have been compared to benign and malignant lesions and my doctor said he's 99% sure its malignant. This means that I am now on a waiting list to have my left kidney removed.

Before any of this I have always been healthy, very active and never had any
issues health wise. All this diagnosis has been performed by the NHS in London which is said to be a top place for Urology.

I am going for a second opinion privately also.

Can anyone please let me know if they have experienced anything similar or advice here. The main issue for me is this hasn't been verified as being benign or malignant as the method which can tell this "Biopsy" isn't an option as explained above. This is quite a burden for me I am 29 years old.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
(male)

William Y HB User
Re: Left Kidney Lesion

My left kidney was removed in october this year with a mass in size of 7 cm. I found out this kidney mass when I had the ct scan with something not related to since five and half years ago. Doctor told me that the kidney mass was 99% cancerous when it
was in size of 4 cm, but I didn't believe him at that time and waited for first three
years with growing 1 cm and second two years with growing 2 cm. The test of the
kidney when it came out, was indeed cancerous and luckily it didn't spread. I hope that yours is not cancerous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
(male)

Helmet HB User

Thanks for the reply.

What tests did you have to determine the % the kidney was cancerous?
As I've stated, they recommend myself not having a biopsy as my lesion is close to core blood vessels. I am having a scan next week that will show what the right and left kidney are functioning at..

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
(male)

William Y HB User

Blood Test didn't show malignant or benign and doctor told me that biopsy was afraid of bleeding. The mass was located in the middle of my left kidney. No other way was possible to find out benign or malignant. Therefore, I was waited for five and half years since diagnosis. The Pathology confirmed that the mass in my left kidney was malignant and I was lucky that it didn't spread out. By the way, the test of kidneys
function didn't tell which kidney working good or bad. I had that kidneys function test before and it showed all normal and I didn't have blood in the urine too. Your second opinion is good and I do hope that yours is not malignant.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
(male)

Helmet HB User

Hi there to all those people that have gone through similar.

An update since Dec. Well I've had my left kidney out via key hole surgery. All went well, apart from the post op infection. Ended up in hospital for 3.5 weeks. I have to say, specifically the NHS is fantastic. Not ever having the need to use it as I'm young, only
just turning 30 great experience. Hope that's the last I see of hospital until what I'm told when I'm over 60 when the prostate issues kick in:-) So its been 7 weeks now, and Im pretty much at 90%. If it wasn't for the post op infection would of been here 3 weeks earlier, but was in the best place to get that sorted, and a fine job they did.

I had my histology. Was indeed a cancerous turmour, all found by accident at the start good job even if it was a partial guess. Fuhrman grade 2, RCC. I've been told this is good. Also because they found it early was 2cm and contained.

I was actually told if I was a patient in the states I wouldnt need followup scans, but here in the UK we are more cautious and hence once a year for the next 3 years I will have followup scans, alternating between ultrasound and CT, as CT can induce cancer.

Last edited by Helmet; 06-21-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
(male)

William Y HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet View Post
Hi there to all those people that have gone through similar.

An update since Dec. Well I've had my left kidney out via key hole surgery. All went well, apart from the post op infection. Ended up in hospital for 3.5 weeks. I have to say, specifically the NHS is fantastic. Not ever having the need to use it as I'm young, only
just turning 30 great experience. Hope that's the last I see of hospital until what I'm told when I'm over 60 when the prostate issues kick in:-) So its been 7 weeks now, and Im pretty much at 90%. If it wasn't for the post op infection would of been here 3 weeks earlier, but was in the best place to get that sorted, and a fine job they did.

I had my histology. Was indeed a cancerous turmour, all found by accident at the start good job even if it was a partial guess. Fuhrman grade 2, RCC. I've been told this is good. Also because they found it early was 2cm and contained.

I was actually told if I was a patient in the states I wouldnt need followup scans, but here in the UK we are more cautious and hence once a year for the next 3 years I will have followup scans, alternating between ultrasound and CT, as CT can induce cancer.
Congratulations, you have removed the cancerous left kidney. As doctors said 99%, we needed to believe that. I am following up here in U.S. every six months with CT Scan, up to five years for safety's sake.

Last edited by William Y; 06-21-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Closed Thread