It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

txfitmomof4 HB User
31 yr old female-egfr at 51

Hello! I am 31 years old, have 4 children (7 and under) and thought I was pretty healthly until I had bloodwork done and was referred to a nephrologist for elevated creatinine levels and low egfr (51).

I'm very active, I work out daily and have no other health issues. I'm a little freaked out by the low number.

My dr. ordered more blood work and a 24 hour urine sample as well as an ultrasound scheduled for next week. Can someone on here please tell me they went through something similar and tell me that everything will be ok?

Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
(female)

jk050 HB User
Re: 31 yr old female-egfr at 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmomof4 View Post
Hello! I am 31 years old, have 4 children (7 and under) and thought I was pretty healthly until I had bloodwork done and was referred to a nephrologist for elevated creatinine levels and low egfr (51).

I'm very active, I work out daily and have no other health issues. I'm a little freaked out by the low number.

My dr. ordered more blood work and a 24 hour urine sample as well as an ultrasound scheduled for next week. Can someone on here please tell me they went through something similar and tell me that everything will be ok?
I am going thru the exact same thing as you! No other symptoms other than elevated creatinine levels and low egfr. A few years ago it was in the 70's and just kept dropping and most recently dropped to 47. I am seeing a nephrologist and he did the 24 hour urine twice now, as well as a kidney ultrasound. Other than those two levels being off, nothing else shows up. Because I had pretty big drop (I think it was 54 to 47 on the egfr in the past six months) he's going to retest next month and do a kidney biopsy in January if it drops again. He said it may not show a reason for any of this, but he felt it was necessary to rule out other things. I am a bit freaked out by it because it can't be explained, my protein levels are fine and in the beginning I didn't take it seriously. I'm still not sure how to react to this, other than I am being more careful about how much protein I am eating, I'm paying attention to what he tells me not to take (Advil, etc.) and just keeping an eye on the levels. Not that I wish this on anyone, but it is nice to hear someone else is going thru this as well - it's bizarre to hear my nephrologist tell me I'm stage 3 kidney disease yet I'm in perfectly good health and I don't really know what that means! Please stay in touch with me - I know everyone is different, but your story sounds so similar to mine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Sorry to hear that you are both going through this. I just wanted to mention that restricting one's protein intake in order to help preserve or improve kidney function is somewhat controversial right now. My nephrologist told me just a couple of weeks ago, when I asked him about my protein intake, that the protein restriction has not been proven to make any difference on the progression of kidney disease. So, basically, I am told there is no need to restrict it, but that moderation in one's diet is always good. I wish you the best of luck.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-11-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
(female)

Krun HB User

Hi:

I read your post with interest as I too am perfectly healthy or so I thought and show a low GFR (48) and elevated creat 1.18. I have not had a follow up with the doctor yet but will in a few weeks. I am 53 years old, and other than hypothyroidism and elevated cholesterol, thought I was in good health. Please continue to post your story and what develops as I will. I am curious do these numbers always indicate kidney disease. By the way I had a GFR of 56 and creat 1.1 (normal) last year and my doc was not concerned. She does seem more concerned this year but I have not had my follow up yet. If in fact we do have kidney disease is there any way to slow it down?

Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Hello posters,
This may be of some interest to those posting re low eGFR levels.

The eGFR function lab test is a very common test. Please be aware that as we age, the eGFR deteriorates to some extent. Mine was 56. I repeated it, but I did the repeat eGFR test while being VERY WELL HYDRATED!! Even though 56 was still ok for my age, my doc suggested doing the re-testing and drinking plenty of fluids 1-2 days prior. So, after following his instructions, my new eGFR result was 63! Here is how he explained it to me in his own words :

''The e GFR is based on a formula that takes into account age and sex and ethnicity. Also existing medical probs and meds (taken or taking).
This level is fine for you
Most people's eGFR goes down with age. By age 70 (you are not there!) a GFR can drop to the mid 50's and still be considered normal for that age and person
There is nothing for you to be worried about''.

The above paragraph is exactly what he emailed me. I'm a 65 yr old petite white woman. Try and follow a low sodium diet as far as possible and definitely keep your blood pressure under good control. Oh - almost forgot. Diabetes also plays a role in kidney disease.

Good luck,

monte

Last edited by montesflus; 01-15-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Closed Thread