It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
(female)

HaileyH HB User
Question Kidney damage from stone?

I've been having pain in my left side and back for the past 4 months and my doctor suspects I have a kidney stone. He referred me for an ultrasound but it's not until May and in the meantime the pain is getting worse.

Is there a chance that I could do damage to my kidney because I'm waiting so long for treatment/ full diagnosis?

I know that if it is a kidney stone there's a good chance it'll be small enough to pass so I'll end up waiting anyway, but I'm worried that it could be too big and it'll be months before I know.

I'm also constantly nauseas and I've lost 14lbs over the last 2 weeks. I have headaches from my blood pressure going up.

I feel like urine is backing up in my kidney because and throughout the day the pressure in my side gets worse and worse. The pain is also getting unbearable and until they diagnose for sure that it's a stone I can't take anything except regular over the counter painkillers like paracetamol, which doesn't even make a dent on the pain. The pain is seriously getting to me but until I have a proper diagnosis no doctor will prescribe anything.

What are the chances I could end up with kidney damage?

If I did end up with kidney damage since I'm otherwise healthy would my kidney heal fully eventually?

Any advice from people who have experienced kidney stones would be very much appreciated.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
(female)

sweetfemale HB Usersweetfemale HB User
Re: Kidney damage from stone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyH View Post
I've been having pain in my left side and back for the past 4 months and my doctor suspects I have a kidney stone. He referred me for an ultrasound but it's not until May and in the meantime the pain is getting worse.

Is there a chance that I could do damage to my kidney because I'm waiting so long for treatment/ full diagnosis?

I know that if it is a kidney stone there's a good chance it'll be small enough to pass so I'll end up waiting anyway, but I'm worried that it could be too big and it'll be months before I know.

I'm also constantly nauseas and I've lost 14lbs over the last 2 weeks. I have headaches from my blood pressure going up.

I feel like urine is backing up in my kidney because and throughout the day the pressure in my side gets worse and worse. The pain is also getting unbearable and until they diagnose for sure that it's a stone I can't take anything except regular over the counter painkillers like paracetamol, which doesn't even make a dent on the pain. The pain is seriously getting to me but until I have a proper diagnosis no doctor will prescribe anything.

What are the chances I could end up with kidney damage?

If I did end up with kidney damage since I'm otherwise healthy would my kidney heal fully eventually?

Any advice from people who have experienced kidney stones would be very much appreciated.
Hi...
Firstly, if the pain gets too bad go straight to A&E!!!
I begun with pain back in august 2010...went to gp who prescribed antibiotics for what he thought was a kidney infection...didnt work!! Tried 6 other lots of antibiotics, got sent for an ultrasound scan which showed that my right kidney had shrunk to 7cm (the left measuring 13.4cm).
I was then referred to see a urologist who promptly (that afternoon) arranged for me to have a CT scan. The outcome of this was no stones as originally thought. Then i was scheduled to have a renal DMSA scan which told the urologist that i have congenital narrowing of the tubes causing the kidney not to drain properly and the function only being 11%...therefore a nephrectomy has been ordered!!!

I dont know if you have more than 1 hospital local to you but like you i wasnt prepared to wait months for a scan when i was in pain, so i rang the gp and asked him to try and get me an appointment at any of the other hospitals local to me within a 25 mile radius and i managed to get an appointment for 4 days later!!

Also, unfortunatly a damaged kidney will never repair itself!!
Try going back to see ur gp who can prescribe a stronger pain killer such as tramodol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
(female)

HaileyH HB User

Unfortunately I've already been to a different doctor who sent me to casualty and they wouldn't give me anything stronger.

I originally went to the doctor in November but they won't give prescription painkillers without a definite diagnosis.

The pain is getting so bad I went back to the doctor last week (it was an emergency appt so didn't see my usual doctor). She sent me down to the casualty. They just poked and prodded, confirmed I have no infection, wasn't dehydrated and said not to come back unless I find I can't urinate at all. I asked for stronger pain killers but they don't give or prescribe anything strong unless you're admitted. They just told me to go to my doctor for something stronger but the doctor won't give me anything until the stones are confirmed.

It's a real catch 22 type situation.

There is no other hospital I can go to either. I'm actually quite lucky that I'm not waiting longer (most people wait 7-8 months).

I just so frustrated that I'm going to have to suffer in pain for months until may or end up doing some damage before then and have the whole thing turn into an emergency.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
(female)

sweetfemale HB Usersweetfemale HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyH View Post
Unfortunately I've already been to a different doctor who sent me to casualty and they wouldn't give me anything stronger.

I originally went to the doctor in November but they won't give prescription painkillers without a definite diagnosis.

The pain is getting so bad I went back to the doctor last week (it was an emergency appt so didn't see my usual doctor). She sent me down to the casualty. They just poked and prodded, confirmed I have no infection, wasn't dehydrated and said not to come back unless I find I can't urinate at all. I asked for stronger pain killers but they don't give or prescribe anything strong unless you're admitted. They just told me to go to my doctor for something stronger but the doctor won't give me anything until the stones are confirmed.

It's a real catch 22 type situation.

There is no other hospital I can go to either. I'm actually quite lucky that I'm not waiting longer (most people wait 7-8 months).

I just so frustrated that I'm going to have to suffer in pain for months until may or end up doing some damage before then and have the whole thing turn into an emergency.
Thats really crap!!! Kidney disorders are no laughing matter...when will the doctors take it seriously??
My advice would be to try the chemist but dont take anything that contains ibruprofen as my consultant said thats not good for kidneys.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
(female)

HaileyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfemale View Post
Thats really crap!!! Kidney disorders are no laughing matter...when will the doctors take it seriously??
My advice would be to try the chemist but dont take anything that contains ibruprofen as my consultant said thats not good for kidneys.

Do you know if Solpadeine would be any good? I don't need a prescription to get it but I do need a letter from my doctor (because it contains codeine).

I'm hoping the doctor will be willing to give me a letter for since I think it's the strongest pain killer I can get without a prescription.

Closed Thread