It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

Luluk HB User
Unhappy Had a ureteroscopy and doctor didn't find stones

Hi! I've been trying to find some info on this, but had no luck....so I'm hoping to see if this has happened to anyone else.

I went to the ER with intense pain and was diagnosed (CT scan) with a kidney stone (3mm) in the ureter 2cm above the bladder (...oh so close!!). Anyway, got the standard instructions to drink water, take Flomax and strain urine...and just wait it out. Well, five days later - had horrible bladder pressure, and went to Urgent Care. They told me to stone probably passed, and to take Pyridium. One week later, have horrible bladder problems...went to urgent care again, found blood in urine and said I probably still have stone. Back to straining my urine. Next day...woke up with intense pain and ended up in ER all day (got the dilaudid). Had a CT scan, and it was determined the stone hadn't moved, since my first visit (three weeks ago). ER Doctor suggested it's time to see a urologist.

Saw Urologist a Friday, and immediately said it's time to do a ureteroscopy and remove the stone. Surgery was schedule that Monday. Was excited to have this and end my pain and three weeks of constant pain and misery.

Monday morning comes...got prepped for surgery, last thing I remember is talking to the Anesthesiologist and then I was out. When I woke up in recovery, I was in SEVERE pain (way worse than the last two ER visits). I have a high threshold for pain, but this was unbearable!!!! I was vomiting and couldn't talk. The recovery nurse ignored me for hours while I felt like I was dying (that's a whole other story that makes me mad!!). I had a stent put in, purely so the ureter heals open and was to have it removed in 3 days.

Anyway, the Doctor said that they put the scope in my ureter and couldn't find the stone!! WHAT?!?....all that for nothing!! He doesn't know where the stone went. He doesn't think I passed the stone because my ureter, where it meets the bladder, is so narrow - it couldn't have passed. Ummm....then where did it go?????

QUESTION: Anyone else have a ureteroscopy and the doctor couldn't find the stone?

I'm almost 99% positive I didn't pass it, because I was straining my urine. And...my doctor says it couldn't pass through the ureter. I have no answers and don't want to go through this all over again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread