It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
Can a Kidney Stone Dissolve and if so what would it look like?

I see all sorts of home remedies for kidney stones such as the lemon juice remedy and I was wondering if something like this would work? Can a kidney stone dissolve on its own and if so what does it look like coming out? Would it look like a bunch of sand? Would it be soft pieces? Would it look like pulp? Curious Thanks!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
(male)

neonreaper HB User
Re: Can a Kidney Stone Dissolve and if so what would it look like?

After a lithotripsy, much of the pulverized stone does kind of look like sand

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
(male)

rpg HB User

The only type of stone which can be dissolved (that I know of) is the Uric Acid variety. By keeping the urine alkaline, the stone will slowly get smaller, until it passes. It will look like any other normal uric acid stone after passing. If it never leaves the kidney, I guess you might see small remnants of the stone in your urine but only if you're straining every voiding!

Last edited by rpg; 06-28-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
(female)

isitjustme HB User

Jbsim,

You can try to dissolve it yourself and it is not really dissolving it, but it helps and aids in breaking it down is 2 teaspoons of Apple cider vinegar with water 3 times daily. You can put honey in the water to sweeten it if you don't like the taste. But don't use any kind of sugars, only honey, you can use stevia but not the liquid, use the powder......

I have had 3 lithotopsies in the last 15 years, but for the past 5 years I have been kidney stone free because of the ACV diet. You can take more too, or you can even take the pills in that form if you don't like the taste, but it is cheaper to do it by the bottle....If you buy any apple cider vinegar, only buy it with the mother, you will know because it is cloudy looking and has stuff in it.....This is healthier than the ACV that has been pasteurized.

You also have to watch your diet also if you have oxalate stones, there should be certain foods to watch eating, chocolate, coffee, tea, spinach, nuts.....If you do a search on the web you can see foods that are high in oxalate, stay clear of them, or eat them very sparingly.

Yes lemon juice is good, but watch how much of it you consume, I was consuming so much of it that I was getting constant UTI's my doctor told me to cut back on it....And cranberry juice also, that is good for UTI's but not necessarily kidney stones......

Search the web on kidney stones and click on images, you will find something, it does look like grains of salt, but about 10 times bigger than normal table salt.....not too big though, because it could not pass through the urethra without causing you pain. Some kidney stones can be brown in color so anything that comes out that doesn't look right take it in for lab work.....

I have passed over 100 kidney stones, but in the past 5 years only one and that was a 5mm stone that had gotten smaller on my own.

Drink alot of water too, that will help flush it out.

Have a great 4th of July weekend.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
(female)

carriemcdow HB User

just wondering how big everyones stones are? minw are 4mm have 2 and than 2mm at bottom the 4 mm are in the left midpole.. Doctors dont want to help me i feel hopeless any info would help i already take the pottassium i was in hospital recently with low pottssium they said it was not related to kindey stones hummmm!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

Thank you for the apple cider recommendation. I will have to try that out. I had a 6mm that I passed on my own. Very Very Painful! I still have a 5 mm in my kidney that causes me pain. I am scheduled for lithotripsy on that one. I am hoping to pass it some how without having to go through the lithotripsy, but it looks like I will have to have it done. This thing is not budging and is still causing me pain.

Closed Thread