It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

StaceyLee HB User
kidney stones or infection?

i don't know what is up with me. i started getting like pms symptoms x100 (cramps, lower back pain) around the time i was supposed to ovulate so i just thought oh weird, i get these symtoms during ovulation even more so than my actual period. well over a week later the cramps (that feel a lot like period cramps) are still there and my back still hurts pretty bad. i didn't think much of it but then in the middle of the night when i have to pee real bad my back would kill and then after i would pee the pain would let up a little, then when i had to get up to pee again my back was much worse again. finally, the last 2-3 days whenever i sit down to pee, the moment i relax to release, i get sharp pains in my lower abdomen. not everytime but often. my head feels warm to touch this week but no fever or any other symptoms.

so i googled away and i keep getting pages on passing kidney stones. does it sound like kidney stones? what is the difference between passing stones and having a kidney infection..symptom-wise? maybe just a coincidence and not either one? only other thing that came up was overian cysts. i am not pregnant, i know for sure.

at what point should i call my doctor? think it can wait until monday? i also have severe constipation, struggled with it for years..could that be causing my pain or no?

any info very much appreciated, thank you.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

txarmywife HB Usertxarmywife HB User
Re: kidney stones or infection?

Unfortunately any of those issues could be the cause of your pain. It could be that you have multiple issues going on, which obviously would make it difficult to pinpoint the cause of your pain. The easiest way would be to go to a doctor where it would be likely he would preform two initial tests: urinalysis (to check for infection, signs of blood, or kidney stones) and a plain xray (some stones are visible on xray, and xray admits much less radiation than a ct scan or could also show constipation which could be causing your pain). If either test give him reason to think a ct scan would be beneficial, you would then probably go for a ct scan which would show kidney stones or ovarian cysts.

I was first diagnosed with kidney stones in a similar circumstance as you. I began showing signs of a UTI (feeling like I had to pee and then not being able to) and was diagnosed with a kidney infection. A few days later the pain was so intense I ended up in the ER where a CT scan was done, showing stones on both sides. I later found out when examining the CT scan report I infact did have ovarian cysts at that time as well and showed signs of one recently rupturing (which could cause pain but usually much lower in the abdomen rather than the flank). In addition I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease so I was told my pain could also be intestinal related. After several procedures on my kidneys I am confident my flank pain (pain in the back a little below the rib cage) was kidney related. I just recently had two ureteroscopies last week which showed an obstruction in each ureter...which was causing urine to back up which was then causing my pain. It is not the kidney stone itself that causes pain, its when the stone (usually once it goes in the ureter) blocks the urine flow causing the urine to back up, which then causes the pain. In my case, my blocked ureter was causing the pain not my kidney stones as they were still in my kidneys. With that said, an infection can equally cause pain. Thats why it is important to go in for a basic urinalysis to check. I wish you luck and I definetly can understand your worries.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
(female)

eastman HB User
Re: kidney stones or infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txarmywife View Post
Unfortunately any of those issues could be the cause of your pain. It could be that you have multiple issues going on, which obviously would make it difficult to pinpoint the cause of your pain. The easiest way would be to go to a doctor where it would be likely he would preform two initial tests: urinalysis (to check for infection, signs of blood, or kidney stones) and a plain xray (some stones are visible on xray, and xray admits much less radiation than a ct scan or could also show constipation which could be causing your pain). If either test give him reason to think a ct scan would be beneficial, you would then probably go for a ct scan which would show kidney stones or ovarian cysts.

I was first diagnosed with kidney stones in a similar circumstance as you. I began showing signs of a UTI (feeling like I had to pee and then not being able to) and was diagnosed with a kidney infection. A few days later the pain was so intense I ended up in the ER where a CT scan was done, showing stones on both sides. I later found out when examining the CT scan report I infact did have ovarian cysts at that time as well and showed signs of one recently rupturing (which could cause pain but usually much lower in the abdomen rather than the flank). In addition I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease so I was told my pain could also be intestinal related. After several procedures on my kidneys I am confident my flank pain (pain in the back a little below the rib cage) was kidney related. I just recently had two ureteroscopies last week which showed an obstruction in each ureter...which was causing urine to back up which was then causing my pain. It is not the kidney stone itself that causes pain, its when the stone (usually once it goes in the ureter) blocks the urine flow causing the urine to back up, which then causes the pain. In my case, my blocked ureter was causing the pain not my kidney stones as they were still in my kidneys. With that said, an infection can equally cause pain. Thats why it is important to go in for a basic urinalysis to check. I wish you luck and I definetly can understand your worries.

Closed Thread